NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - My Tranny replacement thread
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

My Tranny replacement thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albert2kls
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.13

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1975 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject:  My Tranny replacement thread Reply with quote

Ok I ordered my transmission from ebay today. It is a 2002 LS tranny unknown miles. I got it for $475.00 with free shipping Very Happy and got a 199 day warranty Very Happy . So since I do not know the miles and history I have ordered from TEP the following parts:

Both axel seals
Pressure control solenoid
Delco shift solenoid
Converter seal
Transgo SK4T65E Shift Kit Combo Kit

I will also be replacing the oil pan gasket and rear main seal since I will have the tranny out.

My questions.....
Is there a thread or post to help with techniques and tips to making this as painless as possible?
Has anyone made an improvised engine support device? I am thinking a 2x4 across the inside of the fenders and a chain or ratchet strap on the enginelift eyelets.
Is there anything else I am forgetting?
All input and experience is welcomed Cool
Thanks in advance

Someone always needs the parts you send to the junkyard..
!!! Be a Organ Donor !!!
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.58

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject:  Re: My Tranny replacement thread Reply with quote

Albert2kls wrote:

Has anyone made an improvised engine support device? I am thinking a 2x4 across the inside of the fenders and a chain or ratchet strap on the enginelift eyelets.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd buy a device that is intended to support the engine from above. Nothing would be worse than having a 2x4 snap and end up with your engine on the floor, or worse, crushing you...

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.4

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ya +2 on what Iffy said, when i was swapping my tranny out we had a engine brace and the chain wasnt 100%. when we lifted to car on the hoise and went under trying to get the tranny out the chain only slipeed a few inches(had some play) and the engine looked like it was falling on us....mechanic(my cousin) found it hilariouse...me.. i had to go change pants lol
bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.09

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Like I said previously, you should swap the 4th clutch shaft with a hardened one

Also, I'm not sure it was such a good idea to go with an unknown mileage trans... you could very easily wind up right back where you are once you swap it in...

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
Albert2kls
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1975 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bbengineer wrote:
Like I said previously, you should swap the 4th clutch shaft with a hardened one

Also, I'm not sure it was such a good idea to go with an unknown mileage trans... you could very easily wind up right back where you are once you swap it in...

BBEngineer

Thank you for the advice BBE, I agree, but dur to financial constraints I really have no choice, as for the 4th clutch shaft, how much is involved is changing it since I will be in part of the tranny?

Thanks Iffy and Grismsin, where and how much is the support brace? Can it be rented from an autoparts store?

Thank you

!!! Be a Organ Donor !!!
bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.09

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Albert2kls wrote:

Thank you for the advice BBE, I agree, but dur to financial constraints I really have no choice, as for the 4th clutch shaft, how much is involved is changing it since I will be in part of the tranny?

I understand the financial constraints, but can you afford to be without the car for an extended period of time? Can you afford to spend countless hours swapping transmissions in and out until it works? It may wind up costing you far more in time and money in the end than swapping in a rebuilt...

You need to pull the trans apart to change the 4th shaft... talk to WhiteLightningMC04 as he did his

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
chibiblacksheep
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.47

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Most autoparts stores will rent you a cherry picker for a little while.

Even if they don't rent them, you can get a decent one for like $75

Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

http://www.harborfreight.com/1.....96524.html

I used this when I changed my oil pan gasket worked pretty good.[/url]
impalafirst
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2014 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

A word to the wise-Those warranties won't pay for the labor to take it out of the car if you pay someone to do it.. If you do the install yourself it will just cost you your time.
Albert2kls
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1975 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yes, I know, they think everybody can do there own work but fortunately I can do it. My time is valuable but in the ratio of time and money I have much more time then money Smile

Thanks for the link BLK, I met up with a friend of mine that has the bar set up and said I can borrow it. So as long as he keeps his word I should be ok.

Thanks again BBE, I looked into the 4 clutch shaft and I just dont have the money for the extra cost involved in doing it, as Dave at TEP said total cost to swap the shaft and all the components involved (gaskets and plates) will run an extra $150ish. I cant really go through the tranny and fix all the short comings because then I would have to fix that fowaard apply band as well, which is what just failed in my tranny. I feel better that I am atleast trying to fix a few of them. I am hoping to make it last another couple years till I finish school.

Thanks for the input so far. My tranny should be here next Wed or Thur. Not sure on the parts yet.

!!! Be a Organ Donor !!!

Last edited by Albert2kls on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
impalafirst
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2014 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I hope it works out for you. Sounds like you have a solid plan.
Albert2kls
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1975 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well I got some great news today, my tranny will be here on Monday..... Very Happy
I am going to put together a How to on the tranny removal. The one on the GP is ok but there are some differences and I took photos of every step and will point out where the issues that might come up are. The GP thread has helped me alot but I have experience doing mechanic work.

Here are some pics of what I did...

I know, not safe to do but I couldnt get a hold of the guy to get the engine brace. That is a 4x4 that I cut to 5 feet so not to touch my fenders and it is plenty strong. And that is a 3500 pound working strength ratchet strap.

The orange strap is holding no weight, it is just a safety precaution, I dont want the 4x4 to slide down the fender.

And this is what I did on the other side to prevent a slide

This was the only casualty today, I am sure there will be more but it was leaking grease anyway so no time like the present to fix it.

Since I was doing this by myself, I needed to improvise some more, I used a 2x4 that reached across the cradle so that I can support the cradle evenly and work the jack alone. Worked like a charm.

I also gave the cradle a good degreasing and scrub down, came out real good.
BFORE

AFTER

Thats how far I made it tonight. I am happy so far and really not that hard except for the axels, holy $h!t, I still cant get the other half of the passenger side out, any advice would be appreciated, or it will stay in the tranny for all I care, getting a reman one for $50.00 with a lifetime warranty.

!!! Be a Organ Donor !!!

Last edited by Albert2kls on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you are going to go thru the tranny...it might be wise to upgrade the boost valve or replace the valve body with an upgraded boost valve in it. +1 on the hardened output shaft, I think 03 was the first year that a hardened shaft was installed from the factory.
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 1.58

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You're going to need the side cover gasket as well. They're usually not reusable when the transmission has high mileage. If you're taking the side cover off to replace solenoids, you better take it easy on the torx bolts on the bottom of the side cover. I cracked my side cover with 12 in. lbs of torque. You'll also want the lathe cut seal that goes in the side cover.

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
Albert2kls
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1975 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

When I spoke and exchanged emails with Dave at TEP he made no mention of the boost valve. The tranny is from an 2002 LS so I think it has the upgraded valve. As far as the hardened shaft, I do not have the knowledge or finances to do that. I do worry about that as much as the forward shift band. But I am making some effort with the limited funds I have. Thanks for the suggestions though.

I was busy today and got alot done.

Had another casualty, I will recommend to remove the oil pressure sensor before attempting that engine to tranny bolt on the passenger side, the real difficult one.

Other then that all went pretty smooth

After the tranny was removed I went for the oil pan gasket

What do you think of this gasket?

Then feeling good I went to remove the rear main seal and cover plate

Then I got a big suprise Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised

I didnt read anywhere that there was a coolant passage back there. Why? That makes no sense to have it there, just another place to get coolant and oil to mix, in my opinion anyway. I was not prepared for coolant so I ended up making a small mess and had the wife bring a bucket while I applied pressure to the plate.
I removed the old gasket..
BEFORE

AFTER

And decided that I had enough for today and let the oil and coolant drip in their respective buckets over night.
Thanks for the input so far

!!! Be a Organ Donor !!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: