NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Temporarily unable to shift from Park
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Temporarily unable to shift from Park

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
overlordspock
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.14

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Silverado
2008 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Malibu
2009 Pontiac G8
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject:  Temporarily unable to shift from Park Reply with quote

So I drove to my parents' house today and pulled my '08 SS into their driveway. Their house is on the side of a hill and the driveway is fairly steep. After I pulled into the driveway, I set the parking brake and shifted into park (as is always my habit to do it in that order). I did not shut off the car though as I was just stopping by really quickly to pick something up they left outside for me.

I got out of the car and, about 45 seconds later, got back in, applied the foot brake, released the parking brake and tried to shift into reverse. However, I couldn't shift from park (and, indeed, I couldn't even press the release button on the handle). Tried several times, including a few times after having shut off the car and restarted, but couldn't get the shifter to release.

I had my wife pick me up and we went home. About four hours later, I was able to get my brother to come with me to try rocking the car as I attempted to shift to see if that was the problem. However, when I got in the car and started it up, even before he tried rocking it, it shifted with no problem. After driving the car for a while, I pulled into a flat parking lot and tried shifting into and out of park several times. No issues at all.

My question: should I simply chalk this one up as the car being on the steep incline? I know about the problem with the solenoid wire in the center console coming loose (because it isn't quite long enough) causing these symptoms, but once the happens, isn't that more or less a permanent problem until the wire is fixed (i.e. it isn't going to spontaneously fix itself)?

Should I be taking this to a stealership to have the solenoid wire looked at anyway?

2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, Kooks LTs w/ Cats, Corsa Catback, RotoFab CAI, HomeLink
2014 Impala 2LT - Black, No Mods
2008 Silverado LTZ Z71 - Black, Extended Cab, Spray-on Bedliner
2008 Impala SS - Precision Red, Magnaflow, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Overkill Tune, Front/Rear STBs w/ Don Rome Brackets SOLD
2005 Impala LS - Summit White, Front/Rear STBs w/ Don Rome Brackets, BBE Monte SS Cluster SOLD
topgun
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.28

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject:  Temp unable to shift Reply with quote

It's the parking on an incline, next time back in or park in the street. Maybe parking brake needs to be adjusted. Cool

overlordspock
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Silverado
2008 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Malibu
2009 Pontiac G8
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yeah. I'm leaning that way. But I've parked that car in that same spot on the same driveway dozens of times before without any issue. Maybe the brake does need adjustment. I'll have to look into that.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, Kooks LTs w/ Cats, Corsa Catback, RotoFab CAI, HomeLink
2008 Impala SS - Precision Red, Magnaflow, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Overkill Tune, Front/Rear STBs w/ Don Rome Brackets SOLD
2005 Impala LS - Summit White, Front/Rear STBs w/ Don Rome Brackets, BBE Monte SS Cluster SOLD
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.54

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'd also suggest when you get back in, putting your foot on the brake, put it in reverse, then take the parking brake off so it doesn't have any chance to move backwards at all

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
Albert2kls
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.13

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1975 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Next time it happens I would suggest checking the brake lights, if the pedal is pressed and the lights are not on it may be the brake light switch by the pedal sticking, if its stuck then it wont release the shift lock. I am not sure if this applies to the 06+ cars but its worth mentioning.
Also there should be a manual release somewhere, but again not sure on the 06+

Someone always needs the parts you send to the junkyard..
!!! Be a Organ Donor !!!
2008BlueImpalaLTZ
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject:  Re: Temporarily unable to shift from Park Reply with quote

overlordspock wrote:
So I drove to my parents' house today and pulled my '08 SS into their driveway. Their house is on the side of a hill and the driveway is fairly steep. After I pulled into the driveway, I set the parking brake and shifted into park (as is always my habit to do it in that order). I did not shut off the car though as I was just stopping by really quickly to pick something up they left outside for me.

I got out of the car and, about 45 seconds later, got back in, applied the foot brake, released the parking brake and tried to shift into reverse. However, I couldn't shift from park (and, indeed, I couldn't even press the release button on the handle). Tried several times, including a few times after having shut off the car and restarted, but couldn't get the shifter to release.

I had my wife pick me up and we went home. About four hours later, I was able to get my brother to come with me to try rocking the car as I attempted to shift to see if that was the problem. However, when I got in the car and started it up, even before he tried rocking it, it shifted with no problem. After driving the car for a while, I pulled into a flat parking lot and tried shifting into and out of park several times. No issues at all.

My question: should I simply chalk this one up as the car being on the steep incline? I know about the problem with the solenoid wire in the center console coming loose (because it isn't quite long enough) causing these symptoms, but once the happens, isn't that more or less a permanent problem until the wire is fixed (i.e. it isn't going to spontaneously fix itself)?

Should I be taking this to a stealership to have the solenoid wire looked at anyway?

GM has issued TSB #08-07-30-007B - "Key Cannot Be Removed from Igntion with Gear Selector in Park, Shifter Cannot Be Moved from Park Position (Repair/Reroute Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) Solenoid Harness) - (June 8, 2009).

The TSB applies to all 2007 - 2009 Impalas and includes three pictures in the TSB to show the incorrect and correct routing of the harness.

Have your dealer print you a copy of the three page TSB and it will help you with the proper repair. Good luck.
overlordspock
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Silverado
2008 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Malibu
2009 Pontiac G8
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well, so far (knock on wood), I haven't had a recurrence of this. I'm going to, for now, assume that it was the parking brake didn't, for whatever reason, support the car properly on the steep incline. I havent had the chance yet to check the parking brake to see if it needs to be adjusted, but hope to soon.

overlordspock
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Silverado
2008 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Malibu
2009 Pontiac G8
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well, the problem reared its ugly head again this morning--this time while sitting on the level surface of my garage. No amount of rocking would get the shifter to budge.

*sigh*

So, I popped the shifter trim piece off the top of the console, used a long screwdriver to engage the shift interlock release button and drove the car to my mechanic, where it promptly locked up again.

Yay.

UPDATE 8-25-11: Yup. It was a bad wiring harness. Mechanic has ordered a new harness but says it will be a week for it to get here from GM. So, the car's back in my garage, sans console, where it will sit until the new harness comes in.

overlordspock
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Silverado
2008 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Malibu
2009 Pontiac G8
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

New harness is now installed and all is good.

Of course, the harness that GM sent wasn't the right one and it was like pulling teeth to get them to acknowledge they sent the wrong one (according to my mechanic), but it's all good now and I have my SS back. YAY!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: