NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account
 

  
NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Will this transmission work???
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Will this transmission work???

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Albert2kls
Forum Regular
Forum Regular


Joined: Jul 23, 2011
Posts: 299
Posts per day: 0.13
Location: Treasure Coast, FL

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1975 Pontiac Trans Am


PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject:  Will this transmission work??? Reply with quote

I have a 2000 Impala LS and the transmission went today.
I have access to a 2000 Buick LeSabre with a 3.8L.
Are the transmissions interchangable? If not what else can I get a tranny from that will work?
I cant afford the $1400.00 the local tranny shop wants to rebuild mine. The 01 Impala LS I have thats going to auction has an issue with the tranny also, it takes a long time to shift from 1st to 2nd, so thats out of the question.

I know it sounds like I have alot of cars but I dont, the Buick I bought 2 years ago to fix and sell ( flip ), but had a major issue getting a title, took 2 years and $900.00 after getting screwed by one company and ripped off by another. And the 01 Impala I just bought to flip but it will be easier to auction it since there is too much wrong and I now have my own car broken. I flip cars to make some extra money to get through school since I got laid off in May.

Thanks in advance

_________________
Albert

Someone always needs the parts you send to the junkyard..
!!! Be a Organ Donor !!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
billy101
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Sep 12, 2010
Posts: 1704
Posts per day: 0.66
Location: Willow Spring, NC

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject:  Re: Will this transmission work??? Reply with quote

Albert2kls wrote:
I have a 2000 Impala LS and the transmission went today.
I have access to a 2000 Buick LeSabre with a 3.8L.
Are the transmissions interchangable? If not what else can I get a tranny from that will work?
I cant afford the $1400.00 the local tranny shop wants to rebuild mine. The 01 Impala LS I have thats going to auction has an issue with the tranny also, it takes a long time to shift from 1st to 2nd, so thats out of the question.

I know it sounds like I have alot of cars but I dont, the Buick I bought 2 years ago to fix and sell ( flip ), but had a major issue getting a title, took 2 years and $900.00 after getting screwed by one company and ripped off by another. And the 01 Impala I just bought to flip but it will be easier to auction it since there is too much wrong and I now have my own car broken. I flip cars to make some extra money to get through school since I got laid off in May.

Thanks in advance


I'm not too sure on the working part of it, but if you have any mechanical experience before you put the transmission from the Buick in, I'd drop the pan and make sure there isn't anything abnormal in there, and while your there put a shift kit in it. I did that with mine and at almost 118k she is still driving and shifting like a brand new vehicle, better I could say sometimes. What the shift kit does is decreases the length inbetween shifts which prevents slipping of the clutches and whatnot, it helps greatly with daily wear and tear in the trans. Something to think about while you're in there. Others will chime in but I wanted to give you my 2 Cents
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Albert2kls
Forum Regular
Forum Regular


Joined: Jul 23, 2011
Posts: 299
Posts per day: 0.13
Location: Treasure Coast, FL

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1975 Pontiac Trans Am


PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks Billy, I would love to put a shift kit in. Was yours plug n play? How Hard was it? Price?
Thanks, if the tranny works then I will for sure consider it.
Thanks

_________________
Albert

Someone always needs the parts you send to the junkyard..
!!! Be a Organ Donor !!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
billy101
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Sep 12, 2010
Posts: 1704
Posts per day: 0.66
Location: Willow Spring, NC

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Albert2kls wrote:
Thanks Billy, I would love to put a shift kit in. Was yours plug n play? How Hard was it? Price?
Thanks, if the tranny works then I will for sure consider it.
Thanks


Plug n play, sorta if you wanna call it that? I'm 16, and I did it all on my own, without the help of my dad in about 4 1/2 hours, eating dinner inbetween the install. On a scale of 1-10 it was about a 3 or 4. It was $100 from http://intense-racing.com/Merc.....ory_Code=T

While you have the tranny out of the buick, you should probably take off the side cover and replace the PCS and other solenoids that are easy to get to. I know if I had my tranny out of my car, that would be the first thing I'd do. Just sayin, lol.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: May 19, 2007
Posts: 13731
Posts per day: 3.64
Location: Nashville, TN

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:
I'm 16, and I did it all on my own


FWIW, it doesn't matter if you are 16 or 60. You either have the mechanical aptitude to handle the task or your don't. They key is knowing what you are comfortable doing before you end up in over your head.

_________________
helldorado wrote:
GLWTGFY. Big Thumbs Up

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.


d
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Albert2kls
Forum Regular
Forum Regular


Joined: Jul 23, 2011
Posts: 299
Posts per day: 0.13
Location: Treasure Coast, FL

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1975 Pontiac Trans Am


PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I am sure I can do it but the thing is will this tranny work? I am sure it will bolt up but will my computer work with it, how about the gearing? I want to do this this weekend if it will work. Thanks again

_________________
Albert

Someone always needs the parts you send to the junkyard..
!!! Be a Organ Donor !!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Albert2kls
Forum Regular
Forum Regular


Joined: Jul 23, 2011
Posts: 299
Posts per day: 0.13
Location: Treasure Coast, FL

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1975 Pontiac Trans Am


PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Ok, here is what I found over the last day or so of researching.....

3.8 with RPO code F83 has the 3.05 ratio tranny
3.8 with RPO code FR9 has the 3.29 ratio tranny

The RPO code is located on the underside of the trunk lid.

The Buick LeSabre I have has the FQ3 code and intern has the 2.86 ratio
There is a RPO code for the LeSabre with the 3.05 ratio which is the same F83 which you can interchange if it is before 2003, I belive.
So no dice...... Out of luck and up $h!ts creek without a paddle...... Its my luck to have 3 3800 cars with bad or different trannys..... FML with this $h!t......

What would happen if I put the transmission in with the 2.86 ratio in my Impala that has the 3.05 ratio??
Whats the link to that guy that is really good with these trannys, TEP or something like that??


Thanks

_________________
Albert

Someone always needs the parts you send to the junkyard..
!!! Be a Organ Donor !!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
billy101
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Sep 12, 2010
Posts: 1704
Posts per day: 0.66
Location: Willow Spring, NC

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Albert2kls wrote:
Ok, here is what I found over the last day or so of researching.....

3.8 with RPO code F83 has the 3.05 ratio tranny
3.8 with RPO code FR9 has the 3.29 ratio tranny

The RPO code is located on the underside of the trunk lid.

The Buick LeSabre I have has the FQ3 code and intern has the 2.86 ratio
There is a RPO code for the LeSabre with the 3.05 ratio which is the same F83 which you can interchange if it is before 2003, I belive.
So no dice...... Out of luck and up $h!ts creek without a paddle...... Its my luck to have 3 3800 cars with bad or different trannys..... FML with this $h!t......

What would happen if I put the transmission in with the 2.86 ratio in my Impala that has the 3.05 ratio??
Whats the link to that guy that is really good with these trannys, TEP or something like that??


Thanks


If you put the tranny in with incorrect gear ratio you'll have a P0730.

This is what will also happen when you put it in.

http://tripleedgeperformance.c.....P0730.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Albert2kls
Forum Regular
Forum Regular


Joined: Jul 23, 2011
Posts: 299
Posts per day: 0.13
Location: Treasure Coast, FL

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1975 Pontiac Trans Am


PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks Billy, that site helped me find out whats actually wrong with my tranny.... Smile but then I read it and Crying or Very sad realized its done or should I say confirmed its done. Here is what it said about my issue....

.
No Movement with shifter in "Drive" or "3" range:
This problem has really surfaced in the past few years with the 4T65E transmission and will catch you off guard for seemingly no reason.

Here's the scenario-

You are driving along just fine and no reason to suspect any problems. You make a stop at the gas station or grocery store and when get back to your vehicle you start the engine and put the shifter into Drive and nothing happens. Not believing that this is really happening you move the shifter between Park and Drive again and still nothing. If you have tried moving the shifter around more you will have found that the vehicle moves fine in Reverse and will also pull away in 2nd and 1st ranges.

If you have ran into this problem then you likely have a broken Forward Apply Band. I see more of this on the 00-02 model years but it does occur on other years as well. Unfortunately a broken forward apply band means a full rebuild to replace as it is one of the last parts to come out of the transmission case during teardown. There are numorous thoughts and opinions as to why this happens but there really isnt a definate answer, and being that this is more of a year related condition that makes it more difficult to track down the cause. High line pressure is going to be brutal on transmission parts, and I am not just referring to WOT driving conditions. Pressure problems in general in this transmission are going to cause trouble at some point in time. Code P1811 puts the transmission in max line pressure once it sets and can be another culprit and maybe why it is not found as often on the 03+models because there was a newer designed pressure control solenoid used that didnt have near as many problems as the earlier versions. Regardless the route cause of WHY the band broke, it is broken and needs to be replaced. Below are a few pictures of forward apply bands and how you can tell if yours has broken or not. One picture is of a good band, a fractured band that was on its way to failure, and a broken band. Sometimes you may find about a 1" piece of metal from the band laying in the lower transmission pan when you drop it for inspection. Other times the lug will tear on the band where it is brazed on.

_________________
Albert

Someone always needs the parts you send to the junkyard..
!!! Be a Organ Donor !!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
billy101
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Sep 12, 2010
Posts: 1704
Posts per day: 0.66
Location: Willow Spring, NC

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Albert2kls wrote:
Thanks Billy, that site helped me find out whats actually wrong with my tranny.... Smile but then I read it and Crying or Very sad realized its done or should I say confirmed its done. Here is what it said about my issue....

.
No Movement with shifter in "Drive" or "3" range:
This problem has really surfaced in the past few years with the 4T65E transmission and will catch you off guard for seemingly no reason.

Here's the scenario-

You are driving along just fine and no reason to suspect any problems. You make a stop at the gas station or grocery store and when get back to your vehicle you start the engine and put the shifter into Drive and nothing happens. Not believing that this is really happening you move the shifter between Park and Drive again and still nothing. If you have tried moving the shifter around more you will have found that the vehicle moves fine in Reverse and will also pull away in 2nd and 1st ranges.

If you have ran into this problem then you likely have a broken Forward Apply Band. I see more of this on the 00-02 model years but it does occur on other years as well. Unfortunately a broken forward apply band means a full rebuild to replace as it is one of the last parts to come out of the transmission case during teardown. There are numorous thoughts and opinions as to why this happens but there really isnt a definate answer, and being that this is more of a year related condition that makes it more difficult to track down the cause. High line pressure is going to be brutal on transmission parts, and I am not just referring to WOT driving conditions. Pressure problems in general in this transmission are going to cause trouble at some point in time. Code P1811 puts the transmission in max line pressure once it sets and can be another culprit and maybe why it is not found as often on the 03+models because there was a newer designed pressure control solenoid used that didnt have near as many problems as the earlier versions. Regardless the route cause of WHY the band broke, it is broken and needs to be replaced. Below are a few pictures of forward apply bands and how you can tell if yours has broken or not. One picture is of a good band, a fractured band that was on its way to failure, and a broken band. Sometimes you may find about a 1" piece of metal from the band laying in the lower transmission pan when you drop it for inspection. Other times the lug will tear on the band where it is brazed on.


That sucks, sorry to hear it man
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Albert2kls
Forum Regular
Forum Regular


Joined: Jul 23, 2011
Posts: 299
Posts per day: 0.13
Location: Treasure Coast, FL

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1975 Pontiac Trans Am


PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Quote:
That sucks, sorry to hear it man


Those are the brakes ..... still really suck, only jad the car 3 weeks...
I have decided to keep the car and fix the tranny, just not sure where I will get the money, I wanna get the TEP tranny, but with shipping im at about $2000.00 after shipping. I can save $500.00 by staying local and get a 12mth/12K warranty

_________________
Albert

Someone always needs the parts you send to the junkyard..
!!! Be a Organ Donor !!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
billy101
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Sep 12, 2010
Posts: 1704
Posts per day: 0.66
Location: Willow Spring, NC

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Albert2kls wrote:
Quote:
That sucks, sorry to hear it man


Those are the brakes ..... still really suck, only jad the car 3 weeks...
I have decided to keep the car and fix the tranny, just not sure where I will get the money, I wanna get the TEP tranny, but with shipping im at about $2000.00 after shipping. I can save $500.00 by staying local and get a 12mth/12K warranty


Rebuild, shiftkit, and hope for the best is all I can tell ya man. That's a sexy imp, would suck to see it go to the yard. :/ Oh and I have pics of the headlights for you if you want me to PM them to you or post em here. There's a lot so let me know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Albert2kls
Forum Regular
Forum Regular


Joined: Jul 23, 2011
Posts: 299
Posts per day: 0.13
Location: Treasure Coast, FL

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1975 Pontiac Trans Am


PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Post them on the detailing thread, incase anyone else is waiting to see them, or where we aere discussing them before..

Thanks for the encouragement, I dont want to junk it, the engine is really strong, the suspension is tight, ice cold air, pretty clean inside, and I just had the windows tinted right before I posted the pics, and new tires.

_________________
Albert

Someone always needs the parts you send to the junkyard..
!!! Be a Organ Donor !!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Forums ©
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. Comments and posts are property of the poster. All other content is © 2008 by the NAIOA.


Use of this site constitutes agreement with the NAIOA Terms of Service (TOS)


PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
Server Local Time: September 20, 2017, 9:36:02 am
Page Generation: 0.21 Seconds ( SQL 41:136 in 0.02 Seconds )