NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 2005 impala dies randomly, without any kind of pattern
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

2005 impala dies randomly, without any kind of pattern

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SureFire88

Posts per day: 0

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject:  2005 impala dies randomly, without any kind of pattern Reply with quote

Over the past month ive been having a problem with my car randomly dying while im driving. when it first started i could wait about 10 minutes and it would restart, rarely i could start it right after it died. i know its not a passlock problem because my security light doesnt show up when it dies and it doesnt blink when i try to restart it. also it tries to crank over but it just wont start, the passlock wont even let it crank.
so i took it to a garage and they couldnt duplicate the problem after letting it idle for an hour and driving 25 miles. they didnt replace anything because they couldnt find anything wrong with it.
then more recently it died and it wouldnt start even after 30 minutes. but it would start after i got out of work 8 hours later. during all of this i had a knock sensor error code so i replaced that hoping it would fix it but my car just died again an hour ago... i also replaced my ignition control module about 4 months ago and i replaced it again when this problem started because it seemed to be a similar problem. im officially out of ideas and would love some advice...

DonRome
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.29

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
2008 Pontiac G8

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Try replacing the fuel filter if you haven't done so lately. The fuel pump could also be the problem.

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i bought the car a year and a half ago and have no idea if/when the fuel filter has been replaced so i could do that. but the fuel pump is working fine, i know this because when i turn my key to the 'ON' position i hear the pump running, also becasue i can get gas out of the gas line near the enging through a valve.

DonRome
Member Level
Member Level

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
2008 Pontiac G8

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The fuel pump might be working intermittently, so it seems ok when you check for fuel flow but stops working while you're driving.

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

how can i check to see if its working intermittently, can i check that with a voltmeter somehow? i would rather know for sure then buy a new one and still have the same problem.

DonRome
Member Level
Member Level

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
2008 Pontiac G8

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You would need a tech II scanner to test the fuel pump, and a GM dealer is the only place I know that has one. Try replacing the fuel filter to see if it fixes the problem and if not have the fuel pump checked out.

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i hate going to dealers, but if i must then i will. i guess ill start with the fuel filter and go from there. thanks for the help ill try to get back on here and give an update within a day or two.

DonRome
Member Level
Member Level

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
2008 Pontiac G8

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Ok sounds good. I'm sure there's some other easy things you can try using basic tools since I have a GM service manual.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: