NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Charging A/C system in 3.8 SC
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Charging A/C system in 3.8 SC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoudImpala
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject:  Charging A/C system in 3.8 SC Reply with quote

Hello Folks,

Was wondering if anyone can tell me how to do this? I've noticed this summer that my air isn't blowing very cold compared to last year. It's actually gotten a little worse over the last 2 weeks, and today, in 96 degree heat, my air feels like I've turned the heat on instead of the air conditioning.

I've checked the fuses, and those are fine. The compressor is not coming on though. The electric fans kick on at temp.

From what I've been reading, my symptoms could indicate a low charge of coolant. I know I can purchase a R134A recharge kit at Autozone, but looking around the engine bay, I can't figure out where I would do this. I see a couple of hoses coming off of the compressor going to a little silver bottle looking thing, then those hoses continue up to the firewall and into the cabin. There's a little black cap looking thing on the hose next to the firewall, and another next to the bottle thing.

Sorry to sound so dense (bottle thing, black cap, hoses) but I'm not experienced with AC systems and don't know all the lingo.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Also, anyone know if there's any other issues that could cause this?

Loud
BlackVenom
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.52

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

the low pressure valve should be towards the back of the engine bay between the engine and the firewall. Ive never added any to my imp so that's all i can tell you. idk if the car needs to be on w/ A/C up full or not. I know when I recharged my dads old gmc safari it was off... someone will chime in. : )

EDIT: that black cap thing is the right thing.

topgun
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.27

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject:  ac charge Reply with quote

yes, low side by firewall. connect charge can here, follow instruction on car. You will probably start car and switch AC on. Stay cool. Cool

rundave

Posts per day: 0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I just did the other day on my 2000 ls with ~180,000 miles. I had taken it to tires plus for an ac check and they said I had a leak in the low side hose and wanted $450 to replace the hose, drier, evac and recharge. I bought the large (22 oz) can of EZ Chill at O'Reilly for $30. It came with a gauge. My clutch WAS engaging but it was blowing warm for about a week. I hooked up the quick connect next to the firewall with AC on recirculate and it read about 25lbs. That was at the very low end of filled. I added most of the can until it was at the high end of about 45 lbs. It takes a while and is kind of a pain because of the short hose but it now blows cold. I read on here someone said they did it and it was still cold a couple years later.
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.64

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

rundave wrote:
I just did the other day on my 2000 ls with ~180,000 miles. I had taken it to tires plus for an ac check and they said I had a leak in the low side hose and wanted $450 to replace the hose, drier, evac and recharge. I bought the large (22 oz) can of EZ Chill at O'Reilly for $30. It came with a gauge. My clutch WAS engaging but it was blowing warm for about a week. I hooked up the quick connect next to the firewall with AC on recirculate and it read about 25lbs. That was at the very low end of filled. I added most of the can until it was at the high end of about 45 lbs. It takes a while and is kind of a pain because of the short hose but it now blows cold. I read on here someone said they did it and it was still cold a couple years later.

Re-filling a known leaking ac system is illegal...(someone correct me if i'm wrong), but your better off finding out where exactly it's leaking from and fixing it the right way before our o-zone gets worse then it already is haha
Redshiba
Dedicated
Dedicated
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.1

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You must fix the Leak first. then refill it using the proper procedures.

http://www.firstfives.org/faq/AC/ac_charge.html

You can purchase a cheap vacuum at Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/a.....96677.html

Just refilling, or filling a new system without pulling the proper vacuum will never work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5w3lR88fqQ

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.27

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject:  charging AC Reply with quote

Charging a known to be leaking system is illegal for those that make a living at it. If you have or store over a certain amount of refridgerant, then you cannot just charge a leaking system, such as repair shops. You're average user,us, can do it legally. Stay cool. Cool

LoudImpala
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I just realized I forgot to come back and report my results. I've been enjoying the ice cold air. Smile

It took a whole can of refridgerant. The compressor didn't kick on till about 1/4 of the can was in the system. It did fix my cooling issues though. Colder than its ever been actually.

LC
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.15

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I understand you fixed the problem but. When I worked at autozone people would always come in ask for the recharge kits and other things. My first question was "did you find your leak yet?" they look at me like I was speaking a different language. I would then tell them a/c systems are a sealed unit you should loss Freon for no reason, if you have lost it you will lose it again. Now they make kits with leak fix but if the leak is big enough that wonít work. the ideal about vacuum out the system is ideal but not 100% necessary. the ideal behind it is when you put the system on a vacuum it will boil and evacuate the system. water and Freon donít mix and will cause more problems and I have noticed the Freon goes in more like being sucked in by the system. the vacuum is more for systems that have been left open and moisture has or could have gotten in. there is also the dryer that should be replaced it has descant in it is the same stuff that you get in packets in shoe boxes its job is to absorb the moisture in the system

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: