NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - air conditioner slow to get cold
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

air conditioner slow to get cold

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john_d

Posts per day: 0.02

2008 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject:  air conditioner slow to get cold Reply with quote

I searched through five pages of posts and didn't find this particular problem.

The a/c comes out warm (hot) for a long time (a few minutes of idling, or a couple of miles of driving) before it starts coming out cold. After it finally starts blowing cold, it works fine.

Using recirculate or not didn't seem to make a difference.

Is this a known issue, and is there a typical fix?

2008 LS 3.5 flex, single zone.
habermehl
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.53

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My air doent start off cold either but slowly turns cold. Maybe cause where you live it is hot and you have warm air in the venting for a couple secs?

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:
how do the dealer's expect us to get the cars there if they don 't run at all?

Tow Truck?
Albert2kls
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.13

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1975 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Have you had the ac system serviced recently? It could be low on freon. Does the fan come on in the first 30 seconds from start up?

Someone always needs the parts you send to the junkyard..
!!! Be a Organ Donor !!!
john_d

Posts per day: 0.02

2008 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

habermehl wrote:
My air doent start off cold either but slowly turns cold. Maybe cause where you live it is hot and you have warm air in the venting for a couple secs?

It is most definitely hot here, especially the past few weeks. However, my other cars typically start blowing cool/cold air after a few seconds, not after a couple of miles.

Albert2kls wrote:
Have you had the ac system serviced recently? It could be low on freon. Does the fan come on in the first 30 seconds from start up?

I just got the car one week ago, and it had no records, so I don't know the service history. Once it gets cold, it is sufficiently cold.

The interior (hvac) fan comes on right away. I don't know if the fan(s) on the back side of the radiator come on right away or not. I could try commanding them on with hptuners and see if that makes a difference. It could be that it takes some airflow through the condensor to get things working, either by driving or by getting the coolant up to temp and having the second fan come on.

I need to check that there's no leaves, plastic bags, or worse, up around the condensor too. I found a "bunch" of dirt jammed into the front tube of the engine cradle. (worked the dirt out as far as I could reach, which is more than a foot up into the cradle, and I haven't found the end of the dirt yet) So there might be something around the condensor that's not supposed to be too.
Arvetus
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.56

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

blocked condenser or low freon are the most logical things to check for me.

If the condenser checks out, I might check the compressor belt and tension before taking it in for a pressure check.

But if you've got dirt down in the cradle, you very well might have some leaves and gook and stuff in between the condenser and the radiator.

It does take some airflow through the condenser coils to get the air to blow cold... I would check and make sure your fans are working properly. You should have at least one of them turn on when the compressor kicks on...or at least I think that's how it's supposed to work.
Check fan relays and also fan motors.

RIP 10/23/2010, 191,197 miles - traded on a 2003 Tahoe Z71
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Albert2kls
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.13

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1975 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

As mentioned above, up untill a certain speed the primary fan should be on when the ac is on. On my 96 roadmaster the fan would be on untill 44 or 45 mph. Also it will depend on the head pressure wether both fans come on or just one. I know on my Impala when my air is on I can hear the fan under the hood. Also as mentioned above, air needs to pass through the condensor to get cold air, if its blocked it may also be blocking the radiator from getting air. Definately worth having a look.

Someone always needs the parts you send to the junkyard..
!!! Be a Organ Donor !!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: