NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account
 

  
NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Sticky Repairs
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Sticky Repairs

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
impala2k
Resident
Resident


Joined: Oct 10, 2009
Posts: 545
Posts per day: 0.19
Location: Oregon

2000 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject:  Sticky Repairs Reply with quote

Recent posts have talked about all the issues these w bodies have. I think a list should be started, so when people begin to have problems, they can look at the list and see if it relates to that. Seeing as how the following may or may not be decreasing. This way people having issues don't have to wait for a response. Make it a sticky or whatever. If there are a lot of problems with them I would like to know because the only ones I have heard of are ISS and Lower Intake manifold gaskets. I just think it would help alot of people, and give them a chance to prepair for the inevitable. Also I have a question, Does the 3.4 have as many or more issues as the 3.8?

-Matt

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: May 19, 2007
Posts: 13731
Posts per day: 3.61
Location: Nashville, TN

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The knowledge database is a pretty good listing of common problems for these cars. Aside from that a quick search will find just about anything (I know it's too much for some people, but it is what it is).

_________________
helldorado wrote:
GLWTGFY. Big Thumbs Up

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.


d
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator


Joined: Mar 08, 2004
Posts: 12756
Posts per day: 2.57
Location: Tullahoma, TN

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo


PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject:  Re: Sticky Repairs Reply with quote

impala2k wrote:
Does the 3.4 have as many or more issues as the 3.8?


nope

as for a sticky, dont know if there is enough database space for such a post...lol

These cars are now 12 years old (2000 models) and the platform is over 25 years old, so the list is basically EVERYTHING. When someone is looking for a sub $3000, 12 year old car, they should expect to be doing a fair amount of work to keep it running right.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: May 19, 2007
Posts: 13731
Posts per day: 3.61
Location: Nashville, TN

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject:  Re: Sticky Repairs Reply with quote

Pitch Black SS wrote:

These cars are now 12 years old (2000 models) and the platform is over 25 years old, so the list is basically EVERYTHING.


While this is true I can quickly think of a list of stuff that I've replaced over the years that hasn't been an issue on any of the other vehicles my Dad has owned over the years.

1) wheel hubs
2) multifunction switch
3) LIM/UIM gaskets
4) transmission (pretty much everything sucks in there)
5) multifunction switch
6) transmission cooler lines
7) power steering lines
8) oil pan gasket
9) Intermediate steering shaft clicking
10) catalytic converter
11) blower motor resistor
12) rear sway bar endlinks
13) valve cover gaskets
14) UIM melting at EGR stack
15) fuel level sender


I guess PBSS is right... pretty much everything...

_________________
helldorado wrote:
GLWTGFY. Big Thumbs Up

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.


d
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
billy101
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Sep 12, 2010
Posts: 1704
Posts per day: 0.66
Location: Willow Spring, NC

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject:  Re: Sticky Repairs Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
Pitch Black SS wrote:

These cars are now 12 years old (2000 models) and the platform is over 25 years old, so the list is basically EVERYTHING.


While this is true I can quickly think of a list of stuff that I've replaced over the years that hasn't been an issue on any of the other vehicles my Dad has owned over the years.

1) wheel hubs
2) multifunction switch
3) LIM/UIM gaskets
4) transmission (pretty much everything sucks in there)
5) multifunction switch
6) transmission cooler lines
7) power steering lines
8) oil pan gasket
9) Intermediate steering shaft clicking
10) catalytic converter
11) blower motor resistor
12) rear sway bar endlinks
13) valve cover gaskets
14) UIM melting at EGR stack
15) fuel level sender


I guess PBSS is right... pretty much everything...


Damn that's a long list.

I've only had to replace the following.
1) Hazard Switch
2) Oil pan gasket
3) Fuel Sending unit
4) LIM/UIM Gaskets (before it melted), along with coolant elbows
5) Catalytic Converter
6) Only the right front wheel hub (bad speed sensor)

That's it pretty much, other than the other little stupid things (bulbs, hoses)

But yeah, pretty much everything in the car will go eventually...but what do you expect? These cars are getting VERY old.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
impala2k
Resident
Resident


Joined: Oct 10, 2009
Posts: 545
Posts per day: 0.19
Location: Oregon

2000 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject:  Re: Sticky Repairs Reply with quote

Pitch Black SS wrote:
impala2k wrote:
Does the 3.4 have as many or more issues as the 3.8?


nope
.


Well that's good lol. But it sounds like the tranny's have some issues that I shouldn't be suprised if they happen. I'm at 103k miles, hopefully I don't encounter the tranny problems for a while. Everything feels pretty good, though sometimes the shifts take a while, even with a PCM. Looks like I may be alright for a while with the 3.4 engine, don't seem to be having any issues as of yet. Within the next 50k or so I think I am going to need a new steering rack, it's making some unfriendly sounds at times. I just hope I get atleast 200k out of the car before any real major issues. But Sh*t does happen.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Forums ©
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. Comments and posts are property of the poster. All other content is © 2008 by the NAIOA.


Use of this site constitutes agreement with the NAIOA Terms of Service (TOS)


PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
Server Local Time: October 17, 2017, 8:07:56 am
Page Generation: 0.13 Seconds ( SQL 27:117 in 0.01 Seconds )