NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Engine Cradle
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Engine Cradle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.27

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject:  Engine Cradle Reply with quote

I'm headed to a u-pull on thursday to hopefully pick up a new engine cradle for my 2000 LS, I let someone drive my car and they bottomed it out bad. Does anyone have any tips for how to do this safely in a junkyard and what tools should I bring?

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.32

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Not sure how you're going to pull a cradle unless you can find one with the engine conveniently removed.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
quesocaliente

Posts per day: 0.01

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Hmmm. Thought I responded to this but I guess I didn't. I believe you can use a temporary engine brace to support the engine while removing the cradle, but holding the engine there permanently would be difficult without replacing the cradle with your old one or fashioning some sort of brace you can leave there in place. You would need to remove the engine/transmission mounts and the power steering rack., then the engine cradle should drop out, with some other things that probably will need disconnecting as well. I have lowered the engine/cradle in my car to replace the PCS in the tranny, but did not remove the cradle completely.

Interestingly, I ran a search on this site, but could not find anywhere where someone has replaced the engine or dropped the cradle.

Personally, I'd talk to the yard owner. Sometimes they can be helpful and may even see some profit out of helping you to remove the entire engine so that they can ship or offer it to someone else. Then again, some yard owners are just dicks, but I'd think it's worth asking.

Mechanical Adaptations:                                              Appearance Adaptations:
Transmission Cooler                                                    Chrome trailer hitch ball
Trailer Hitch                                                                     Window tint
Factory Spoiler Delete (Reduces drag!)                    Factory Spoiler Delete (Reduces rice!)
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.32

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

04DetroitLS has removed the engine from his car a handful of times. He's hardly a regular here anymore but if you send him a PM he might be able to give you some information.

On the Grand Prix forums, I beleive I recall hearing about them switching their steel engine cradles for our Aluminum ones to save some weight. You may be able to find a how-to over there as well (try OQCGP)

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.61

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I don't know about your junkyard, but the one I frequent will pull the engine out of a car for you with one of their loaders. Give them a call and see if they can help you out. If not, you might be better off buying a new cradle.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.63

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Bring some rope, or cut out a seatbelt. Tie the rope/seatbelt to the strut bar, or find a RWD driveshaft and place it over the fenders and tie the engine to it.

Then remove the 4 cradle bolts, the engine/trans/cradle will drop somewhat but will still be supported by the rope. Remove the engine and trans mount bolts, control arm bolts and steering rack bolts, and you should be able to pull the cradle out from under the car.

I've seen PLENTY of cradles removed this way in the junkyards, but do NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT, place any part of your body under the hanging powertrain!!! Without a properly engineered engine support, I would never dare venture under an engine supported by a rope!

I have to say, when I see an engine hanging like that, I cant help but cut the rope and see it fall to the ground. Laughing

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.27

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Excellent advice, guys! Thank you.

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: