NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - It's about that time.!
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

It's about that time.!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jnibbs24
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.28

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject:  It's about that time.! Reply with quote

Alright guys, it's about that time, In the middle of next month I'm going to be doing some maitnance on my ride. Starting with a radiator flush,fuel filter,tranny flush with new filter,new belts, POSSIBLY new plugs n wires, car has 144k right now, Not sure if they have been done before, hoping the have at some point though. The trans was service around 70k from previous owner. Also plan to drop in the 180t-stat. And fix that annoying wire mess a rodent decided to chew up. Is there any tips or tricks you guys might have? If I need to do plugs n wires, I heard go with the stock AC-delco. but what exact ones? (I'm 3.8).

Thanks in advance.

Also will be slappin some new rubber on it as well..

Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.65

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject:  Re: It's about that time.! Reply with quote

Jnibbs24 wrote:
Alright guys, it's about that time, In the middle of next month I'm going to be doing some maitnance on my ride. Starting with a radiator flush,fuel filter,tranny flush with new filter,new belts, POSSIBLY new plugs n wires, car has 144k right now, Not sure if they have been done before, hoping the have at some point though. The trans was service around 70k from previous owner. Also plan to drop in the 180t-stat. And fix that annoying wire mess a rodent decided to chew up. Is there any tips or tricks you guys might have? If I need to do plugs n wires, I heard go with the stock AC-delco. but what exact ones? (I'm 3.8).

Thanks in advance.

Also will be slappin some new rubber on it as well..

DONT Flush the tranny! A simple pan drop and filter change will do you well. I put a 180* t-stat in and I noticed a slight change in the operating temperature when I drive around like a grandma, but if I get on it a lot, and accelerate harder than usual, the temperature stays where it usually did with the stock 195*. The best way to take advantage of a 180* thermostat is to get a tuned PCM to kick the fans on at 185*.
Jnibbs24
Uber
Uber

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

my temp is usually right around the middle right now.. also will NOT flush the tranny.. Smile

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.95

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Also too get the most out of your 180 thermostat, you need to change your fan settings.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.58

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

How's the trans fluid look now? I'd be leery of changing out the fluid this late in the game if its been neglected for 75k miles.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.65

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
How's the trans fluid look now? I'd be leery of changing out the fluid this late in the game if its been neglected for 75k miles.

I dropped my pan, and installed a shift kit and changed the filter on my tranny that wasn't touched in 10 years and 116,500 miles. 500 miles into doing all the work and the car hasn't ran better. If he isnt experiencing any problems I dont see why he shouldnt go ahead with it.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.58

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Older transmissions can be held together by bubblegum and fairy dust. There have been more than a handful of cases of people changing the fluid on their neglected 4T65E and needing a rebuild in short order as a result.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.4

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
Older transmissions can be held together by bubblegum and fairy dust. There have been more than a handful of cases of people changing the fluid on their neglected 4T65E and needing a rebuild in short order as a result.

+1 when i started getting hard shifts around 145k changing filter and fluid didnt help if anything started shifting alot harder lol.
Jnibbs24
Uber
Uber

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I don't really have any issues with the tranny, It down shifts fine and gets up and goes when I need her too. Sometimes when I'm barely pushing the gas it feels like it should shift a second faster then it should, but I'm sure that it's just all in my head...cos i'm barely giving it gas..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: