NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 2001 Impala Viper Remote Start installation questions
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

2001 Impala Viper Remote Start installation questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.67

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject:  2001 Impala Viper Remote Start installation questions Reply with quote

Hi all,
Would like to get some help on installing a Viper 5501 Keyless Entry/Remote Start system. Here's where I'm running into a little trouble. My 2001 Chevy Impala LS has had a remote start system installed aftermarket for the last 6 years. The thing is, it uses the factory remote, which lacks the remote distance that is pretty much necessary for the remote start to be practical. I plan on purchasing the 5501 pretty soon and will be installing it myself. The aftermarket alarm doesn't have a model or brand name, nothing on it, but it's hooked up to another box that says Directed Electronics 457G on the box. When I googled, I found out that it's pretty much just the passlock bypass module? Does that sound right? Will I have to get the XpressKit from Viper as well? Or will the module I have now work with the new Remote Start / Keyless Entry? I can take pictures of what I have installed already if necessary.

Thanks for the help in advance!! Much appreciated!
quesocaliente

Posts per day: 0.01

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm not much help with this, and I'm not sure how much help you'll find here regarding an aftermarket system.

Usually when I have questions about aftermarket alarms/remote starters, I meander over to www.the12volt.com. They have loads of info on aftermarket installs, car wire diagrams and lots of really knowledgable people (with respect to alarm installations).

Good luck!
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

quesocaliente wrote:
I'm not much help with this, and I'm not sure how much help you'll find here regarding an aftermarket system.

Usually when I have questions about aftermarket alarms/remote starters, I meander over to www.the12volt.com. They have loads of info on aftermarket installs, car wire diagrams and lots of really knowledgable people (with respect to alarm installations).

Good luck!

Thanks for the link, I'll post up over there on their forums. Didn't know if anyone here had experience specifically with the impala and aftermarket remote start systems, and the such.

Thanks though man!
DennisW
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject:  Re: 2001 Impala Viper Remote Start installation questions Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:
Hi all,
Would like to get some help on installing a Viper 5501 Keyless Entry/Remote Start system. Here's where I'm running into a little trouble. My 2001 Chevy Impala LS has had a remote start system installed aftermarket for the last 6 years. The thing is, it uses the factory remote, which lacks the remote distance that is pretty much necessary for the remote start to be practical. I plan on purchasing the 5501 pretty soon and will be installing it myself. The aftermarket alarm doesn't have a model or brand name, nothing on it, but it's hooked up to another box that says Directed Electronics 457G on the box. When I googled, I found out that it's pretty much just the passlock bypass module? Does that sound right? Will I have to get the XpressKit from Viper as well? Or will the module I have now work with the new Remote Start / Keyless Entry? I can take pictures of what I have installed already if necessary.

I might suggest you take Directed's advice and have one of their dealers do the install. I have the same unit in my 2004 and it works great, but there were a couple hitches that I never would have been able to figure out without Directed's tech support which is, as you might have guessed, only available to their dealers.

Also, the only way you will have a warranty on the unit (lifetime on the unit, one year on the transmitters) is if the unit is dealer installed.

For what you are spending on the unit, it's worth the money to have it done right
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject:  Re: 2001 Impala Viper Remote Start installation questions Reply with quote

DennisW wrote:
billy101 wrote:
Hi all,

I might suggest you take Directed's advice and have one of their dealers do the install. I have the same unit in my 2004 and it works great, but there were a couple hitches that I never would have been able to figure out without Directed's tech support which is, as you might have guessed, only available to their dealers.

Also, the only way you will have a warranty on the unit (lifetime on the unit, one year on the transmitters) is if the unit is dealer installed.

For what you are spending on the unit, it's worth the money to have it done right

I'll have to look into that. I'm getting a manufacturer refurbished system for $115 off of eBay, comes with all original packaging as well as all the books. Do I get any type of warranty with that? There's no way in hell I would EVER pay $539 just for a Remote Start / Keyless Entry system.

I'm getting some good help over at the12volt.com forum, so it's leading me to believe that I will be able to do it myself, but I'll think about having a shop do it for me. How much should something like that cost?
DennisW
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject:  Re: 2001 Impala Viper Remote Start installation questions Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:
DennisW wrote:
billy101 wrote:
Hi all,

I'll have to look into that. I'm getting a manufacturer refurbished system for $115 off of eBay, comes with all original packaging as well as all the books. Do I get any type of warranty with that? There's no way in hell I would EVER pay $539 just for a Remote Start / Keyless Entry system.

I'm getting some good help over at the12volt.com forum, so it's leading me to believe that I will be able to do it myself, but I'll think about having a shop do it for me. How much should something like that cost?

Are you sure you're getting this from a reputable source? The 5501 is a $539 unit, which is what a dealer would charge you for it. That price seems awfully low for the system. As for installation charges, only way to get that answer accurately would be to contact your local Viper dealer. I'm sure they would also be able to tell you what your warranty status would be.

I have to clear one item up, I went with the 5101, their basic one-way remote start system, and I'm quite satisfied with it. The 5501 was just way more than I needed. The basic functions are the same, the 5501 just has a ton more bells and whistles Very Happy
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject:  Re: 2001 Impala Viper Remote Start installation questions Reply with quote

DennisW wrote:
billy101 wrote:
DennisW wrote:
billy101 wrote:
Hi all,

Are you sure you're getting this from a reputable source? The 5501 is a $539 unit, which is what a dealer would charge you for it. That price seems awfully low for the system. As for installation charges, only way to get that answer accurately would be to contact your local Viper dealer. I'm sure they would also be able to tell you what your warranty status would be.

I have to clear one item up, I went with the 5101, their basic one-way remote start system, and I'm quite satisfied with it. The 5501 was just way more than I needed. The basic functions are the same, the 5501 just has a ton more bells and whistles Very Happy

I will contact Viper and see what the warranty would be, and how much it would be to have it installed.

This is the eBay listing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA.....395wt_1139

I was looking at the 5101, but then came across the 5501, which you're right, has a lot more bells and whistles to it...the reason I want a system that will do Remote Start / Keyless Entry all in one is because my factory remote system is pretty much useless. We've replaced the remotes, to no luck. The range is TERRIBLE. If I am not within 15 feet of the car, the remote simply does not work. It has to be something with the module in the car or something, but I figure...if I'm going to go through with so much hell with the factory system, I'll just get an aftermarket that will do it all, plus more!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: