NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 01 Impala. No Crank, No Security light
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

01 Impala. No Crank, No Security light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.67

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject:  01 Impala. No Crank, No Security light Reply with quote

Hey guys,
Yet another problem with my Impala. We are just about fed up with it, and I'm tired of this car not being as reliable as it used to. I would take this car across the country in a heartbeat before, but not anymore....anyways.

This issue started last night at 10:30PM. I was working to close at my work. Was walking out to my car, and did the usual "Lock-Lock-Lock" on the Keyless Entry Remote, which in turn starts the car. Sometimes lately it hasn't been starting on the first try, and this time wasn't any different. It "crank-crank-crank-crank" 4 times, and didn't catch...okay. It will try again I thought, waited awhile, and it didn't retry. I hit Unlock on the remote to unlock the doors, got in and pressed the brake to cancel the Remote Start sequence....good. Put my key in that we replaced 8ish months ago with a new lock cylinder and the keys that came with the cylinder so they're all fresh, turned the key to ON, waited for the fuel pump to prime as I always do and turned it to START; just to find out that it will not crank....no matter WHAT I do. I sat there kinda pissed, and thought to myself..please just start so I can get home...I was exhausted and it was still 80 something degrees out. I tried it a couple more times before I called my Dad and told him what was going on and that I needed him to give me a ride home and we'll deal with it tomorrow when he get's home from work. I left the PCM/BCM fuses out overnight in an attempt to reset some things. During this whole time, I found what was pretty weird that the SECURITY light that usually always illuminates when the key is in the ON position wasn't lighting up....pretty strange.

Whatever, left it there for the night, locked up with the radio faceplate off and the rear seats folded up...hoping nobody would break into it.

8:30 AM This morning rolls around and my mom wakes me up to bring me up there to see if it will crank. Get there, the battery is dead, so we jumper cable it from my mom's car to mine and, NOTHING still, it simply WONT crank. Yes, I did remember to put the PCM/BCM fuses back in. The security light is still not lit up.....

It's at home now, had it towed thru AAA. The guy was nice and dropped it off in the driveway, the battery was dead, so it's now on a 12V 2amp slow charge for the last 3 hours. It still won't do ANYTHING.

Here's a video of what's going on. I really don't know where else to go with it..:/

http://s1197.photobucket.com/a.....EO0007.mp4

I really hope y'all know what's up with this, or can help me troubleshoot it. I just wanna drive her. Sad
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.24

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Unplug the battery for 15 minutes and it will most likely start. But it will happen again and nothing will be fixed.

2001 Impala LS 81k as of Nov,2011
3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.66

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

When was the remote start installed? Did you have any issues before then?

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

2001Ls wrote:
Unplug the battery for 15 minutes and it will most likely start. But it will happen again and nothing will be fixed.

Battery was unplugged over night and it still didnt start as well.

@IffyG It was installed about 6 years ago, through my dads friend Andy who worked for a reputable shop on Long Island. We didn't have any problems before, or after. He did a great job. This is the first time the car left us stranded. Other than the time the original key got too worn and didn't start the car.
2007SSImpala
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.13

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2012 Chevrolet Cruze

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Did you check the starter relay? Also do you get any clicking noise from the starter when you try to crank it?

Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

2007SSImpala wrote:
Did you check the starter relay? Also do you get any clicking noise from the starter when you try to crank it?

We put the car up on the lift, got under there and tried to jump the starter solenoid..no luck. I was getting NO clicking noise, the starter was completely dead. We took the starter off the car, hooked up to battery charger with negative on starter casing, positive on the solenoid, jumped the solenoid and the starter worked. Put the starter back on the car, it had +12v constant, but when jumped it didn't do anything. What we were missing was a ground. My dad put jumper cables from the negative battery terminal to the upper motor mounts....turned the car over, started RIGHT up...hoooray! We found out that the ground on the transmission casing was bad....cleaned it up, and it starts every single time.

Glad to find out that it didn't cost us anything. I was up at my dads shop and brought home one of their scan tools to see if the BCM was throwing any codes, just to see if we could get ANYTHING from it before we troubleshooted the starter. It's a SOLUS PRO by Snap-On. It's a hell of a nice machine, and if my dad doesn't bring it back to work tomorrow I'd like to mess around with it tomorrow some. What should I look around at with it?
2007SSImpala
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.13

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2012 Chevrolet Cruze

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Its just a diagnostic tool really. You can view live data while your car is running. I used to have one. I actually find that the solus pro and the snap on vantage pro is a much better combination than goin all out on the snap on verus or verdict.

Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

2007SSImpala wrote:
Its just a diagnostic tool really. You can view live data while your car is running. I used to have one. I actually find that the solus pro and the snap on vantage pro is a much better combination than goin all out on the snap on verus or verdict.

I'm going to monitor the transmission solenoids and shift cycles on my way to work. Since I put in the shift kit I want to see how much it shortened up the shifts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: