NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Front Passenger Window is on its Peroid and is Moody
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Front Passenger Window is on its Peroid and is Moody

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
04ImpalaSS

Posts per day: 0.01

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject:  Front Passenger Window is on its Peroid and is Moody Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone had the same problem I do and what they did to fix it. Well I have a ridiculous sound system in my car and it seems like stuff starts to slowly disintegrate s**t in my car like both of my trunk hydraulics snapped off the trunk lid,the passenger window doesn't roll up without hitting the button on the driver side master window switch a 100 times.It rolls down every time but going up is when it has troubles. The passenger side window switch rolls it up everytime which leads me to believe its the master driver side switch. It occasionally does it with my window too. Has anyone had the trouble like this and did it end up just being the window switch or was it a loose wire or something jammed under the button? Its really annoying and it looks ghetto leaning across to roll the window up lol
quesocaliente

Posts per day: 0.01

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject:  Re: Front Passenger Window is on its Peroid and is Moody Reply with quote

04ImpalaSS wrote:
the passenger window doesn't roll up without hitting the button on the driver side master window switch a 100 times.It rolls down every time but going up is when it has troubles. The passenger side window switch rolls it up everytime which leads me to believe its the master driver side switch. It occasionally does it with my window too. Has anyone had the trouble like this and did it end up just being the window switch or was it a loose wire or something jammed under the button?

Assuming that its the switch and not the motor (which will give a similar symptom, but regardless of which switch is pushed, ie: up-stop-cooldown-up-stop-cooldown etc).

My master switch wore out after a while. I believe that it was just too much current running through the little switch and it eventually lost a clean contact --> heated up --> deformed to the point where it nearly stopped working. The easiest fix (assuming it is the window switch is to pop in a new one.

If you are feeling more adventuresome, you can do as I did with mine, take it apart, take some fine sandpaper and cleaner (alcohol I believe is what I used) and take the switch internals contacts apart and clean them. Fix any deformed springy parts and put it back together. Mines been working fine since. Not that big of a deal if you like that sort of thing and if you fornicate it up you'll needed to buy a new switch anyways.

The switches probably could use relays instead of directly operating the motors. My guess is that the slide mechanism for the window gets a little sticky after a while from dirt and what not , causing the motor to draw a higher current than what the switch was designed for.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.6

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

This should help: http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....mp;t=14592

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: