NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Need advice.
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Need advice.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.24

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject:  Need advice. Reply with quote

Car wouldn't start after work. Keyless entry didn't work as well as the door locks , radio or interior lights. The dash clusters worked but it wouldn't start, not even a crank. I had a tow truck guy try and charge the battery and that didn't work, also he tried doing something to the starter which got the car to turn over but it died shortly after. Recently the security light has been coming on and off solid (not blinking) and my lights have been flickering while driving. IDK any hints?

2001 Impala LS 81k as of Nov,2011
3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.66

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject:  Re: Need advice. Reply with quote

2001Ls wrote:
Car wouldn't start after work. Keyless entry didn't work as well as the door locks , radio or interior lights. The dash clusters worked but it wouldn't start, not even a crank. I had a tow truck guy try and charge the battery and that didn't work, also he tried doing something to the starter which got the car to turn over but it died shortly after. Recently the security light has been coming on and off solid (not blinking) and my lights have been flickering while driving. IDK any hints?

possible bcm issue?
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.63

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well, you probably have an issue with the ignition cylinder (that explains the security light). As far as the other problems, did you test the voltage on the battery with the car off and with the car running? I think you might have an alternator that can't charge the battery or the battery is shot.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I got towed to a shop. I think he can fix it, but if he can't i'm gonna try the BCM fuse removal technique, then maybe replace bcm and lock cylinder. On a side not, I did replace the ignition switch a couple months ago bc my cruise control wasn't working, I think that the ignition switch is right behind the lock cylinder if im not mistaken. Can anybody confirm this? Just need a little tech advice on where the cylinder is and how to change it thanks. Heres a pic from when I changed the ignition switch.

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The switch is the entire unit that the cylinder slips into. When you buy a new switch, this is what you get.

This cylinder slips into that, so if you want to replace the ignition clinder, you need to pull the whole switch out and pull out the cylinder. Sounds like you already know what you need to do.

Dan wrote:

d
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Cool. I unplugged the battery for 15 minutes...it started. I have the sucurity light still coming on though which I think might be one of the problems I can fix possibly remedying my issue. It will stay on constantly while the car is running or it will come on and off periodically while the car is running, it does not flash or flicker, it is constant but varies when it comes on. Also as a side note I forgot to mention, my turn signal has been strange lately, it feels "worn" if that is a good way to describe it. I just put 2 and 2 together and realized that might be connected to my problem with not starting. Like I hit the turn signal left or right and its very weak, it doesnt have a solid click into position like it used to, it's kind of limp and wiggly. Any ideas about any of this can you point me in a direction? Thank you, appreciate the help. It seems I know more about this problem than a mechanic just by using this forum. lol

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'd start by getting a new ignition cylinder and see what happens from there. Troubleshooting the electrical systems on these cars is a nightmare if there is more than one thing wrong. Since you have the security light on all the time, that implicates your ignition cylinder (or possibly the BCM, but the cylinder is relatively cheap). I had a security light issue, but I never let it get to the point that it wouldn't start, but it's my understanding that the security light flashes if the passlock system is acting up. I may be wrong though.

Dan wrote:

d
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well how ironic, tonight when I was leaving work, I went to remote start my car....crank crank crank crank, nothing. It didn't even go try and retry it again, so I unlocked the car, sat down and pressed the brake to cancel the remote start...put the key in went to start it - NOTHING. Not a crank, nothing. The dash lights flash, and I hear a relay clicking, but nothing happens. The voltage is perfect, 12.4v resting, it obviously had juice to start as it cranked 30 seconds before. I get NO Security light on the dash.....the car is sitting at my work right now, hoping that nobody breaks into it.

Anyone have any ideas?
Baywing
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.06

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pull out the BCM fuse, wait 30 seconds, put it back in. If it starts after that, it's probable a security issue within the BCM. I went into the radio menu and turned the security off and never had another issue. That was 8 years and 165K miles ago.
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If all else fails unplug the battery for 15 mins to reset the computer (that's what I did) and you'll get home.

Anyways just fyi, This Sucks! lol

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

2001Ls wrote:
If all else fails unplug the battery for 15 mins to reset the computer (that's what I did) and you'll get home.

Anyways just fyi, This Sucks! lol

Yes, it sure does....had to have it towed home this morning. AAA ftw!

Is it true that putting in the factory radio and turning off the security will fix this problem?
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:

Is it true that putting in the factory radio and turning off the security will fix this problem?

Doubtful, to my knowledge you cannot disable passlock through the radio. Not sure why whatever Baywing did helped him out, but if it was that simple no one would go through the trouble of the passlock bypass or replacing the ignition cylinder.

Dan wrote:

d
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
billy101 wrote:

Doubtful, to my knowledge you cannot disable passlock through the radio. Not sure why whatever Baywing did helped him out, but if it was that simple no one would go through the trouble of the passlock bypass or replacing the ignition cylinder.

Alright, well I don't want to thread jack this guy's thread, so imma start a new one with a video I made.
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Jack away if necessary.

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Todat on the way to work my I started hearing a clicking noise coming from the pass side of the dash then my no seatbelt sign came on any my Radio said "locked" for about 20 seconds. Then everything went back to just the security light being on. This sucks!

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: