NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - do all our engines knock when started?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

do all our engines knock when started?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saliva2002

Posts per day: 0.02

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Question do all our engines knock when started? Reply with quote

i have an 05 base model with 76k on it and the engine lightly knocks when its first started, but then when it warms up or gets oil running through it, the knocking goes away. can anyone tell me if this is very bad, or somewhat normal, or somewhere in between. also, is there any remedies other than sea foam / techron in the gas every now and then? i think its been doing this for a while. any help would be great.... (and i do baby the darn thing)
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.6

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Several members have reported ticking from their 3400s. Here's a quote from another thread.

Wintermute wrote:
3400's (and 60º V6s in general) have lifter noise and piston slap at startup that sometimes sounds quite bad. these noises generally go away very quickly as the engine warms up a little and the oil has a chance to circulate. Running 10-w40 is likely exaggerating the issue.

As far as burning oil, considering the engine and milage there's probably a good chance you have a lower intake manifold gasket leak. These engines are notorious for those Evil or Very Mad

How does your coolant look? normal or sludged? Dexcool unfortunately doesn't show up in your oil like the old green stuff did. Are there any leaks on the ends of the engine, along the seam of the valley between the heads? \_/ these are the easiest way to spot LIM gasket failure. Sometimes they do leak oil into the intake runners. They also commonly leak; oil into the coolant, coolant into the oil, coolant outside, oil outside…

There are a couple how-tos down in the knowledge database for doing the job yourself, assuming you have the time, space and tools. A shop would charge likely $600 and up for the job.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Piston slap. Wasn't this a problem with the 3.1L as well.
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.63

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

All 3100/3400 will be "loud" and have piston slap when cold, its just how they're designed and even GM acknowledges it, but it doesnt hurt their reliability. Its just a design quirk. Once the pistons heat up and expand, everything is fine. Its not something to worry about.

My 3400 has close to 190k miles, usually change the oil around 7k miles, and uses very little oil (with 4.3 quarts its a tad over the cross-hatch marks, 7k miles later it in the middle of the hatch marks) But the oil pan leaks some anyway.

Do NOT baby your engine! Short of racing and abusing it, driving slowly is one of the worst thing you can do. Higher revs lead to higher combustion temps which help to clean and prevent carbon buildup, higher oil pressure, and it helps to burn off water and contaminants in the oil. I regularly upshift at 4k rpms or higher, but our trans usually holds gears longer anyway. I've seafoamed it, and had very little smoke, while the Murano put on quite a smokeshow due to my mom only driving it around town for 2 years.

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.97

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

MISHNAH wrote:
All 3100/3400 will be "loud" and have piston slap when cold, its just how they're designed and even GM acknowledges it, but it doesnt hurt their reliability. Its just a design quirk. Once the pistons heat up and expand, everything is fine. Its not something to worry about.

My 3400 has close to 190k miles, usually change the oil around 7k miles, and uses very little oil (with 4.3 quarts its a tad over the cross-hatch marks, 7k miles later it in the middle of the hatch marks) But the oil pan leaks some anyway.

Do NOT baby your engine! Short of racing and abusing it, driving slowly is one of the worst thing you can do. Higher revs lead to higher combustion temps which help to clean and prevent carbon buildup, higher oil pressure, and it helps to burn off water and contaminants in the oil. I regularly upshift at 4k rpms or higher, but our trans usually holds gears longer anyway. I've seafoamed it, and had very little smoke, while the Murano put on quite a smokeshow due to my mom only driving it around town for 2 years.

Yes, but alot of people are concerned with MPGs as well. So they drive slower.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.53

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

MISHNAH wrote:

That's not good. I regularly shift my car between 1500-2000 rpm, and let it shift as soon as possible, gets me pretty good mileage.

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.63

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
MISHNAH wrote:

Sorry, let me rephrase my previous message, driving it hard a few times a week is always a good idea, didnt mean to do it at every stop light. Laughing

This is mostly when you are taking off from a stop, so you're burning a lot of gas anyway. Getting up to speed burns more gas but you get back to idle speeds quicker, while a low-rpm engine can use more fuel trying to bring you up to speed since its not making as much power.

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

MISHNAH wrote:
PushrodPower wrote:
MISHNAH wrote:

Sorry, let me rephrase my previous message, driving it hard a few times a week is always a good idea, didnt mean to do it at every stop light. Laughing

This is mostly when you are taking off from a stop, so you're burning a lot of gas anyway. Getting up to speed burns more gas but you get back to idle speeds quicker, while a low-rpm engine can use more fuel trying to bring you up to speed since its not making as much power.

That's what I like about pushrods. They're low end and you don't have to rev the hell out of it. My Satty on the other hand is DOHC and is quite the pig when taking off.

04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.35

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

What's this talk about shifting... Manually?

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

REDLINE wrote:

Don't do it in an auto. Just put it in "D" and be on your way. Very Happy

04ImpalaSS wrote:

wedebrook wrote:

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
REDLINE wrote:

Don't do it in an auto. Just put it in "D" and be on your way. Very Happy

I didn't plan on it. I was just looking for clarification to comments Smile

Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.53

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Not sure if your refering to me about the shifting manually, but when I said I let it shift, I mean I give it gas till I know when it can shift, then let off some then do it over again.

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.6

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sounds like a great way to F up your transmission.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.4

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
Sounds like a great way to F up your transmission.

what i think he means is on take off lets say, you go to 42km/h doing 30% throttle, once you hit 42 km/h hour you let off the throttle to 20% to let it shift early, then apply back to 30% and keep going, its what i do to save gas.

i mostly do it when im going up hill and i know its going to hold 2nd gear longer then i want so i let off the throttle just enough to let i t shift into 3rd.
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm still a little confused... As I know if I was going up a steep grade, I'd sooner have it hold the lower gear as opposed to letting it up-shift earlier.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: