NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - How much KR is acceptable on a stock n/a motor?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

How much KR is acceptable on a stock n/a motor?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.65

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject:  How much KR is acceptable on a stock n/a motor? Reply with quote

Hi guys,
While I don't have a REAL scanner, I'm using my OBDII Bluetooth adapter hooked up to my 01 N/A 3.8L Imp, and with my Thunderbolt I'm using the newest version of Torque, which now reads KR correctly on buicks/gm/chevys...anyways. I have a display up for KR and under WOT from a stop i'm getting as high as 7* of KR...does that sound right? Wondering if that's normal for a N/A 3.8, or if something is going on.

Please chime in!

Thanks!
-Billy
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.4

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I know these car in stock form have some KR, how much i have no idea, I know getting rid of the u-bend and/or get a bigger downpipe reduces KR.
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.53

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I've been wanting to do the bluetooth adapter and torque app thing, but by the newest version of torque, do I just download the torque app that comes up (like $5)?

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

barnettimpala wrote:
I've been wanting to do the bluetooth adapter and torque app thing, but by the newest version of torque, do I just download the torque app that comes up (like $5)?

Yes, buying the "Torque" app on the market is about $5 USD. I have a version that isn't too new of the full version that I downloaded without purchasing just to try out if I liked the full version features, and I did. So I went ahead and purchased the full version from the market to support the developer. It is a handy, neat app.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.58

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

On a stock tune, I'll sometimes see 10* of KR at WOT. You really have to get a tune to get rid of it...

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
On a stock tune, I'll sometimes see 10* of KR at WOT. You really have to get a tune to get rid of it...

okay, just wanted to make sure something wasn't going on with the motor. I don't need any other problems with the car aside from this most recent accident.....

After getting the front of the car all fixed, I was thinking of asking for a tuned PCM for my birthday in late September, either that or an alarm, probably a Viper 5901.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.58

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If your are going to keep dumping money into your Imp, don't waste it on an alarm. They are easily defeated and only keep honest people honest. Get the tuned PCM... you'll at least enjoy that.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.4

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
If your are going to keep dumping money into your Imp, don't waste it on an alarm. They are easily defeated and only keep honest people honest. Get the tuned PCM... you'll at least enjoy that.

Agreed, if you really want a "alarm" find something that blinks red and use double side tape and put it on you steering column so if anyone peeks in they see a red blinky light and that will scare the stupid thieves away atleast.lols
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

grimsin wrote:
IffyG wrote:

Agreed, if you really want a "alarm" find something that blinks red and use double side tape and put it on you steering column so if anyone peeks in they see a red blinky light and that will scare the stupid thieves away atleast.lols

Lol, sounds good...I was going to get an alarm pretty much for the reason that I have my audio system, and also for the increased range of the remote/remote start. I haven't gotten a new remote yet to see if that is what is wrong with the range, but I know with the Viper remote starts they have like a 1 mile range or whatever, that's what I was really getting an alarm for....

Since I took the ambient light sensor out of the hole in the dash board up by the defroster, should I put a blinking red light there? How would I go about wiring it/hooking it up?
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Is the kr about the same for the 3400?

I got an alarm, mostly because I was hoping it would fix the power locks and my boss bought it for me Laughing But it does make me feel better knowing I have an alarm, because I witnessed a guy break into a car a few months ago, he just broke the window and it didn't even set off the factory alarm. Plus, it has motion sensors, so if someone hits it with their door I'll know

Also, what are all the things the torque app does? Like exactly everything it does. I'd like to know b/c I'll probably get it.

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

barnettimpala wrote:
Is the kr about the same for the 3400?

I got an alarm, mostly because I was hoping it would fix the power locks and my boss bought it for me Laughing But it does make me feel better knowing I have an alarm, because I witnessed a guy break into a car a few months ago, he just broke the window and it didn't even set off the factory alarm. Plus, it has motion sensors, so if someone hits it with their door I'll know

Also, what are all the things the torque app does? Like exactly everything it does. I'd like to know b/c I'll probably get it.

Here is the change log for the app found on their forum.
http://torque-bhp.com/forums/?.....&t=3.0

There are TONS of functions...actually too many to list, but here are a bunch.

To add a sensor it gives me the following options...
0-100kph Time
0-60mph Time
1-2 Shift error
1-2 shift time
1/4 mile time
1/8 mile time
2-3 shift error
2-3 shift time
3-4 shift error
3-4 shift time
Acceleration (g's)
AFR (Commanded)
Air Fuel Ratio (current)
Ambient air temp
barometric pressure
catalyst temperature (bank 1,sensor1), then bank 1,sensor2, bank 2sensor1 and bank2 sensor 2.)
Current gear
Desired Idle Speed
EGR Commanded
EGR Duty cycle
EGR Error
EGR V
Engine Coolant Temperature
Engine Load
Engine Oil Temp
Engine RPM
Evap,
Fuel level, Fuel pressure, fuel rail pressure, fuel rail pressure (relative to manifold vacuum)
Fuel trim bank 1 long term
GPS Altitude
H2OS Sensor
Horsepower
IAC Position
Ignition 1 Voltage
Injector pulse width, intake air temp, intake manifold pressure, knock retard, knock retard (alternative) knock sensor active counter, last shift time, Mass air flow rate, MPG (average) MPG (instant), Misfire Cyl 1-6 current and history, O2 sensor volts for all banks and sensors, PC Solenoid actual current and reference current, Speed (GPS) & (OBD) TCC Slip speed, Throttle position (manifold), timing advance , Torque, Trans fluid temp, turbo boost and vacuum gauge, voltage (control module), voltage (OBD adapter).

that's everything listed when I click "digital display" when adding a sensor. It will also tell you fuel system status; whether or not it's in open loop and using o2 sensor for fueling or closed loop, current drive cycle status..there is endless possibilities...There are extended PIDs and tons of stuff. Buy it, trust me....it is WELL worth the $5. There are updates all the time too.
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

HOLY S%$# I didn't know it did that much Shocked Which adapter did you buy?

billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

barnettimpala wrote:
HOLY S%$# I didn't know it did that much Shocked Which adapter did you buy?

Yes, it does a LOT. I will even read CEL codes and clear them, but unfortunately it can't check tranny codes...:/

The first item here is the SAME one I have. I bought mine on 3-1-2011 and have been using it everyday since then.

http://shop.ebay.com/sis.html?.....0610128660

It is ALWAYS plugged into the OBDII port and has never drained the battery.
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

There's a range of different stuff that comes up with that link. What was the seller you got yours from and how much was it?

billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

barnettimpala wrote:
There's a range of different stuff that comes up with that link. What was the seller you got yours from and how much was it?

Same seller, and same price I paid. Was delivered 3 days after I ordered it via USPS.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors.....veQ5fTools
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: