NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Aftermarket HU installation with premium sound (non-bose)?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Aftermarket HU installation with premium sound (non-bose)?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Audio / Video Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nkcracer

Posts per day: 0.02

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject:  Aftermarket HU installation with premium sound (non-bose)? Reply with quote

(Just ignore all this if you could just give me a run-down on how to install an aftermarket head unit with this adapter assuming I have the premium non-bose sound system with on-star.)

I have installed subs in my car with the factory head unit, that's all the experience I have with audio so I have a few questions about installing a head unit.

1) This question may answer them all. Where do I plug in the rca wires in the picture of that adapter? Does my car have a factory amp or something that they plug into?

2) I have the premium sound system (cd player, not bose, I don't think) with on-star. Is there something I will have to do to install a head unit other than just a plug and play wiring harness thingy having to deal with the factory amp (if there is one)?

3) What all is there to do involved with the wiring harness? Here's my knowedge of all I have to do so far:

Remove dash, take factory radio out (unplug a couple connectors from the back).
Connect those connectors to the aftermarket harness.
Plug the harness into the new radio.

Expansion on my knowledge of the instructions would help loads.

Thanks guys!
Dominus
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 BMW 3 Series

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The RCA wires should connect to the front and rear RCA outputs on the back of your aftermarket HU. Your car should have the factory amp in the trunk if you have the premium sound.

No. That would imply everyone here would overlook all it's glaring flaws and all of the better competition while talking about how much they like it.
nkcracer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Dominus wrote:
The RCA wires should connect to the front and rear RCA outputs on the back of your aftermarket HU. Your car should have the factory amp in the trunk if you have the premium sound.

So will I have to plug or unplug anything directly from the factory amp or will this harness handle it straight from the head unit to the speakers?
Dominus
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 BMW 3 Series

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

the harness handles the amp and retains your onstar

No. That would imply everyone here would overlook all it's glaring flaws and all of the better competition while talking about how much they like it.
nkcracer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Dominus wrote:
the harness handles the amp and retains your onstar

Ok, and final question: will there be any loose wires whatsoever to deal with or literally just plug everything in after you connect the wires?

Thanks for the help btw. Very good news for me Very Happy
Dominus
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 BMW 3 Series

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

depending on your headunit you may have extra orange (dim) wires because they are for auto dim on the headunit which most dont have. but other than that no i think its mostly just plug and play.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Audio / Video Club All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: