NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - tip for driving sticks
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

tip for driving sticks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gg05impala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.47

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1986 Nissan 300ZX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject:  tip for driving sticks Reply with quote

I've been trying to learn on my brothers 300zx how to drive a stick. Im actually pretty good at starting, and decent at doing it on slight inclines. Because he has put a lot of time and effort into his car, i dont want to do anything stupid in it when i take it out of my neighborhood, so does anyone have any tips for me before i try to become more of a man and drive a manuel car?

Also, i just bought a 89 f250 that is a manual to fix up my brothers house with him. Always wanted to learn to drive one, and now i have the chance. Cant drive the f250 because we just fixed the clutch, but it over heats so next thing we have to do is get a new radiator and thermostat. Other than that, hope to be able to drive it soon.

Audio: Kicker 1000.1zx, Kicker 12" L5 x2, Kicker 350.4, Pioneer TSD1602R x2, JVC xg-700, custom tuned box 33.8hz
Performance - lead foot in my 3.4L is all I have
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.53

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

One thing that drives me nuts about people that drive manuals is how high they rev it to start. Your supposed to let the clutch out until you feel it grabbing, then give it a little gas. Rpm's shouldn't go above 1K and come back down if your just starting normal. It just takes practice to learn how to drive smooth. You'll find the exact spots where you can shift to the next gear as smoothly as possible.

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
Truckman
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.26

2008 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Just practice...I learned how to drive in my uncle's four speed VW when I was 12...Still driving my six speed Doge/Cummins at 64... Cool ...Ben

"A thing worth having is a thing worth cheating for" - Cuthbert J. Twillie "It must be mounted on a tripod! It must be mounted on a tripod!" - Cmdr. Frederick Mohr, Imperial German Army
amoffitt
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.48

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Infiniti G35
2007 BMW 3 Series
2009 Mercedes-Benz C Class

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Find the "friction zone" on the clutch... Thats where it starts grabbing when you let it out... Once you find that let out till them and give a little gas...

Vehicles:
2003 Chevy Impala- Current, 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe- Sold, 2007 Yamaha R6s- Sold, 2007 BMW 335i- Current, 2008 Yamaha R1- Current
gg05impala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.47

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1986 Nissan 300ZX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Just went out and drove using these tips and i completely over rev when starting, so i tried mostly on that and actually got it pretty good. Thanks for the tips, hope to be able to drive a stick soon

Audio: Kicker 1000.1zx, Kicker 12" L5 x2, Kicker 350.4, Pioneer TSD1602R x2, JVC xg-700, custom tuned box 33.8hz
Performance - lead foot in my 3.4L is all I have
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: