NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - my car was immaculate until today...
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

my car was immaculate until today...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.64

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject:  my car was immaculate until today... Reply with quote

Hi guys, been a pretty bad night..... I was driving home from gamestop about to go to a buddies house when I'm driving behind a newer F-250 that was riding a guy's ass in front of him. He was swerving around the road obviously not paying attention so I naturally stay back a bunch..obviously not enough. The truck in front of the F-250 that he was tailgating braked fast to make a turn, and he didn't see it in time so he slammed on his brakes making his tires screech he slammed them so hard...I saw all this happening and slammed on my brakes but at 50-55mph braking distance is increased a LOT. Unfortunately I didn't swerve enough and basically went UNDER his truck, hitting his hitch. It was a diesel and you could tell he drove off in a hurry because black smoke poured out of his exhaust. If he didn't have a hitch the damage wouldn't have been nearly as bad. It crushed in so far that the condenser is bent in half, and the radiator is pushed in a bunch. It even pulled up the front support that the motor mounts go to and they are pulled up a lot now too. Luckily nothing is leaking and the car is still driveable, I doubt the air conditioning works, but I think the car handled the damage rather well. The s**t/good thing though is that he drove off. I'm on driving probation me being only 16 I had a speeding ticket and am lucky to still have my license.

Only snapped two pics when my dad first got it home.

You can see in the second pic where the hitch went thru the bumper, crushing the metal bumper underneath, and pushed the front of the car in, so hard that the fans are now on the front manifold.

Sucks that this happened to my baby, but I luckily am not hurt and it's a car, the parts are replaceable....

Last edited by billy101 on Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total
EMMJAY
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.62

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Dodge Magnum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

dude i dont think u can buff that out...wanna do mine now? lol

helldorado wrote:
EMMJAY, your car is coming together nicely as well!

Frank4202 wrote:
EMMJAY, you and I have always had the same taste in cars Hang Head 2
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

EMMJAY wrote:
dude i dont think u can buff that out...wanna do mine now? lol

haha, i appreciate the humor but I am devastated at this. My mom is so upset because this was HER car before she gave it to me about 9 months ago. I will buff/detail anyone's car for some money. Smile I don't charge too much, may have to up the prices to pay to repair my car.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.55

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Not to be a dick, but it sounds like you were also following too closely. Also, if the fans are on the front manifold, there isn't going to be any fixing of the car... it's gonna be totaled.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
Not to be a dick, but it sounds like you were also following too closely. Also, if the fans are on the front manifold, there isn't going to be any fixing of the car... it's gonna be totaled.

By no means are you being a dick. I know I was probably following too closely as I tend to do that. I can fit my hand between the fan motor guard and the front manifold. My dad already started pulling the front of the frame out with a chain trying to straighten it back out as much as possible. I know if we go through insurance it would be deemed totaled. We will be repairing it at home as my dad's a mechanic and would be able to help with it a lot. I will get better pics tomorrow of the damage. I know it won't be perfect again but it will be damn near close to it.
Dan
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.31

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It's good your friend had that hitch, maybe it'll teach you to not drive like such a dumbass.

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If the unibody is damaged (IE... pulling it out with a chain), I wouldn't be driving it again. If you get in another accident you are royally screwed...

Dan wrote:

d
Frank4202
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.74

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1997 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Im actually surprised an airbag didnt go off with this collision. Now come to Michigan and buy my Impala Cool

Sold 28/10/11

Last edited by Frank4202 on Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
It's good your friend had that hitch, maybe it'll teach you to not drive like such a dumbass.

Every post I see from you, is you being a jackass at almost everything you post. I don't drive like a dumbass I was actually paying attention to the road, I never text and drive nor do I talk on the phone when I drive. It was a s**t situation I don't need you calling me a dumbass. Thanks though.

@IffyG, Looking at the car, the left side metal next to the battery / near the radiator support is pushed in a little bit, it pulled out and looks fine, most of the damage was to the metal bumper reinforcement behind the plastic bumper part.

I have a feeling the car will be going up for sale or traded in shortly after we repair it though...

@Frank4202 - I was pretty shocked they didn't deploy either. The car runs and drives fine still, doesn't leak anything either...not too sure the a/c works still though.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

To be honest, I'm surprised the hitch didn't punch a hole in your radiator. Can you snap a picture with the hood up, I'm curious to see what the carnage is under there.

(Sorry for the morbid curiosity, but I'd like to see what the hitch did to it)

Dan wrote:

d
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
To be honest, I'm surprised the hitch didn't punch a hole in your radiator. Can you snap a picture with the hood up, I'm curious to see what the carnage is under there.

(Sorry for the morbid curiosity, but I'd like to see what the hitch did to it)

I might be able to get out there real quick right now and take some shots for y'all. Give me 15 minutes and I'll be back.

No problem with the curiosity. I'm surprised its still driveable right now...

As requested...Here are more pictures. It's 1 AM here sorry if they're not the best pics. You asked for pics and you got 9 of them!

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yeesh... that's pretty ugly. You must have hit him pretty squarely to not smash up one side of the front end and instead pushed everything straight back. As mentioned earlier, I'm also shocked the air bags didn't deploy on you.

Dan wrote:

d
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
Yeesh... that's pretty ugly. You must have hit him pretty squarely to not smash up one side of the front end and instead pushed everything straight back. As mentioned earlier, I'm also shocked the air bags didn't deploy on you.

It is pretty ugly, but I feel pretty confident that we can get it fixed in time. I did hit him pretty straight on as I would either have gone into on coming traffic, or off the side of the road into a ditch. I am also pretty surprised the air bags didn't deploy either because isn't one of the sensors right where the passenger side upper motor mount is? My air bag light has been on because of a connection under the driver seat, if I wiggle the wires under there it will go off....and it was on while I was driving this time. Would that affect if they would have gone off this time or no?
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well if your SRS light is/was on, that could explain why your air bags didn't deploy. I can't find the TSB on the driving with SRS light on, but IIRC it reads something like driving with the SRS light on can result in 1) no deployment when they should deploy, 2)deployment for no reason or 3)deployment in crashes that shouldn't cause airbags to deploy.

Dan wrote:

d
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.52

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I really don't think you should fix that yourself. The entire front brace where the engine mounts bolt to is bent back and angled. More than likely, the car isn't even square anymore. I'm not saying to not fix it, but definately take it somewhere so they can put it on a machine and make sure the thing is square and straight. If you know the right people this isn't expensive. My grandpa had it done on our old Blazer for 75 bucks.

Now, I cannot not mention how clean that car is. I've never seen something so... CLEAN! You should take a vacation and come clay, wax, and polish my car. I need to do it, but I just don't have the time. Are you gonna be selling any parts?

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: