NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Cuirious if I could get some help with Aftermarket headlight
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Cuirious if I could get some help with Aftermarket headlight
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Interior & Exterior MODs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.23

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject:  Cuirious if I could get some help with Aftermarket headlight Reply with quote

Good afternoon Gentleman. I want to get a pair of headlights like these below. **Bulletin, I am completely new to headlights... COMPLETELY** lol So I have some questions here. Do these halos work? Do DRL's function and if so which lights are on DRL, is it the halos, halogen, or HID's? Durning night what bulbs come on? Do the Halos stay on, and WHAT is THE Primary night light for the headlights? Do I need an "HID Kit" to install lights? I must {u}reemphasize{/u} that I am the ultimate NOOB w/ headlights. Please give me a simple explanation, one thing at a time if possible. Also, I realize that there are many models of aftermarket headlights for 00'-05' pala's. I do understand that an HID kit can be installed in my factory housing with a "converter" and new bulbs. HID's I get the concept, 6000K, 8000K 10000K - vary in output and appear blueish or purplish etc. I do not understand though what type of lighting goes on in the varying models of aftermaket lights that many members have here or that I can find on ebay. I am just trying to get a handle on the basics of the set up. Thanks for any replies, any I am a complete Noob trying to G-up my headlights. Peace and thanks. I will respond if anybody gets a chance to write.

2001 Impala LS 81k as of Nov,2011
3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
edd70805
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject:  Re: Cuirious if I could get some help with Aftermarket headl Reply with quote

2001Ls wrote:
Good afternoon Gentleman. I want to get a pair of headlights like these below. **Bulletin, I am completely new to headlights... COMPLETELY** lol So I have some questions here. Do these halos work? Do DRL's function and if so which lights are on DRL, is it the halos, halogen, or HID's? Durning night what bulbs come on? Do the Halos stay on, and WHAT is THE Primary night light for the headlights? Do I need an "HID Kit" to install lights? I must {u}reemphasize{/u} that I am the ultimate NOOB w/ headlights. Please give me a simple explanation, one thing at a time if possible. Also, I realize that there are many models of aftermarket headlights for 00'-05' pala's. I do understand that an HID kit can be installed in my factory housing with a "converter" and new bulbs. HID's I get the concept, 6000K, 8000K 10000K - vary in output and appear blueish or purplish etc. I do not understand though what type of lighting goes on in the varying models of aftermaket lights that many members have here or that I can find on ebay. I am just trying to get a handle on the basics of the set up. Thanks for any replies, any I am a complete Noob trying to G-up my headlights. Peace and thanks. I will respond if anybody gets a chance to write.

I'm gonna number your questions
1. yes the halos work
2.Drl lights do function depends on the year of your car my 04 uses the high beams as drl. if i recall another year used the low beams instead
3. The drls are gonna be your halogen bulbs unless u have hids installed
4.during the night your low beams will come on, high beams if you turn them on. and dependent on how you wire up you halos, your halos can be on as well
5. dependent on how you wire the halos, they can be wired up to come on with parking lights, they can be wired to a separate switch so you can turn them on when you want to..
6.primary light for night would be your low beams, and of course your parking lights are on
7.no you don't need hids to install the lights
those headlights that you are about to buy already come with bulbs you don't have to buy anything unless you want to change the lights out to hids.

hope i have helped some, if you need any more info just let me know and ill see if i can help.
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thank you, edd. Does anybody know off the top of their head which aftermarket lights with halos would be easy to install HID's in? I want lights with halos and I want HID's as well. I want to try to upgrade from haleogen as well. I'm going to have to do more scouring of the website to find this info. I'm sorry it took me a coulple days to respond, dont wanna leave ya haning. I got all excited about like 3 things at once (was thinkking about suspension and rims) and never solidifies the headlights.

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
Dan
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.32

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

HIDs and DRLs don't mix.

Inferno03LS
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.42

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Cadillac Escalade

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

since he has a 2001 he can install hids in his low without a problem our drl are the high beams.

Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

2001Ls wrote:
Thank you, edd. Does anybody know off the top of their head which aftermarket lights with halos would be easy to install HID's in? I want lights with halos and I want HID's as well. I want to try to upgrade from haleogen as well. I'm going to have to do more scouring of the website to find this info. I'm sorry it took me a coulple days to respond, dont wanna leave ya haning. I got all excited about like 3 things at once (was thinkking about suspension and rims) and never solidifies the headlights.

All of them are pretty easy to install hids in. Whenever you order them make sure you know which bulb they use so you can order your hids. I recommend you buy hids at ddmtuning.com, not expensive and have lifetime warranty. I have 3 kits and they are all treating me well.
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors.....0623745472

Just pulled the trigger and bought these. They are CCFL Halo's the 3 little LED projectors. This package incudes a 6000k HID kit. I am going to try and put some RVinyl smoked films I bought on the headlights. Total for this (minus the vinyls) was about $252 ($50 shipping?...ouch) but this is all in one so I wont have to hunt around for HID kit. (i know it would have been cheaper but I just figured this would be easier. Ill get them by next week and post pics.... or post my anger at them not working lol .

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2

Last edited by 2001Ls on Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inferno03LS
Member Level
Member Level

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Cadillac Escalade

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

5000k is what you want if white is what your looking for. 6k has a hint of blue

Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. I can live with a hint of blue just not craziness. I'm hopinh to go for this look. I mean this is my first ever attempt to install aftermaket lights in any capicity so Im gonna take it one step at a time... Nothing is ever as easy as I though it would be so step one is getting the lights delivered then trying to put them in. Then comes seeing if the HID's work. Lol. Thanks for giving me a hand with this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....re=related

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
Inferno03LS
Member Level
Member Level

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Cadillac Escalade

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i dont think ecko is on here anymore. the lights are easy to install. 6k hids is what i use and i love the color

Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

cool man. I really wanna set it up like this:

Smoked with this film I got from Rvinyl.
Have the DRL's only be the CCFL halos (have no idea how im going to do this)
Prob leave the highbeams stock for now,
Eventually get HID for fogs.

Thats my ideal set up. I know though that the DRL's are the highs at half power so the HID's will stay off during the day. I think it looks a better with just the Halos for the day especially with the smoked lens. So like driving during the day you'll only see the bad ass blueish halo coming through the tinted lens. And then like when I park it will be tinted and you can't see too much of the headlight. But it gets me thinking that i'll have to pull the little nob to turn on the side markers because I cant think of a way to get the halos to work otherwise. Anyways, how you liking yours so far? Get any more pics? I took your advice and made sure I got the CCFL halos instead of leds so we can compare when they come in.

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.65

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

What I did to get past the DRL issue because I have HIDs in my Low/Highs along with Fog Lights is...The little light sensor that detects when it's light outside to put on the DRLs on the dashboard next to the defroster area, you can pull up that little panel and put the sensor underneath the panel so it thinks that it's night time all the time, never have a problem again. My low beams are on ALL the time, even during the day and I never have a issue with the DRLs coming on. It's a pretty ghetto rig, but hell..it works!
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yeah but then your tails are always on too right? I dont want the low HID's on during the day. How you liking your lights by the way? Got any more pics?
I want to buy a couple more things while I got the ball rolling here. I want rims, lowering springs, struts, and a LS sport bumper extension but i't hurts to spend the money. Everything is so expensive but I love how these cars look lowered with rims.

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.65

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

2001Ls wrote:
Yeah but then your tails are always on too right? I dont want the low HID's on during the day. How you liking your lights by the way? Got any more pics?
I want to buy a couple more things while I got the ball rolling here. I want rims, lowering springs, struts, and a LS sport bumper extension but i't hurts to spend the money. Everything is so expensive but I love how these cars look lowered with rims.

The tail lights are on, yes but they are barely noticeable during the day. I have aftermarket headlights with projectors and halos, they're LED though. I have 6000k HID bulbs in the Lows and 5000k HID bulbs in the Highs. The projectors have almost 0 blue in them.

Here is a pic of the headlights from head on with them on, the LED halos are on but aren't too visible during the day...

Here's a link to an album of pictures of my car...I will snap some more tomorrow.

http://s1197.photobucket.com/a.....%20Impala/
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.93

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

2001Ls wrote:

You can do what I did and tie your halos into your fog lights. So then when you want them on, put the fogs on. You can pull your headlight switch to the parking light position so your halos, fogs, and parking lights would be your drls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Interior & Exterior MODs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: