NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Still busy remodeling (updated) Glass block windows
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Still busy remodeling (updated) Glass block windows
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MyDvd7MD
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.18

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject:  Still busy remodeling (updated) Glass block windows Reply with quote

I have been working my rearend off. Just completed the bathroom and finished my kitchen i started last year. The bathroom i replaced toilet with chair height for DAD. Still have basement windows to do, probably go with glass block for those and bathroom windows. Glass blocks will go better with my new bathroom. Also did more cabinets in kitchen and laundry. And YES i still have the avocado fridge. But hopefully not too much longer. Later we want to replace washer/dryer with the new stackable ones. And still have electrical to do. Need to install outlet for fridge in pantry and move the phone jack. I just painted the laundry room/pantry. Mom had a Mauve color in there and it made the room look small and dark. By painting white it helped. These old houses are nice but they have some quirks. You have to find solutions to problems without major construction. Plus with the laundry/pantry being added on later by my grandfather the walls are inset so the regular 24 in deep pantry cabinet got moved over by the fridge and i decided to install two 30 in wide wall cabinets and a 30in wide by 18in. high bridge cabinet. And being they are only 12in deep. They fit better.

BATHROOM BEFORE:

BATHROOM AFTER:

KITCHEN:

LAUNDRY ROOM/PANTRY:

Last edited by MyDvd7MD on Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
madbrad
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.44

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That old bathroom actually frightened me. I'm glad you changed it. It looks great!

BlackVenom
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.54

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Looks better! And to think... I have to leave my bathroom to commit indecent exposure.

barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.54

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That bathroom looks great now! Is that a faux tratment on the walls? Also, what's on the walls in the shower? Matches perfectly with the walls. Do you plan on doing a backsplash in the kitchen?

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
davidhoutz
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.28

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The only thing I hate about stackable washer/dryer is you have to use special soap.
badboibabi
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.51

2006 Chevrolet Impala
1994 Honda Accord
2006 Dodge Charger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

looks good man, great job Big Thumbs Up

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

barnettimpala wrote:
That bathroom looks great now! Is that a faux tratment on the walls? Also, what's on the walls in the shower? Matches perfectly with the walls. Do you plan on doing a backsplash in the kitchen?

I did a backsplash on the sink/counter, here is a pic of that.

Haven't really thought about a backsplash on the other counter, but now that you mention it, Maybe i will.
And the walls of the shower is the same as the walls, it is call a travertine, I went with smooth, they had some faux stone, and /or tile look also in the travertine but anything with grooves is a pain to keep clean. I also added to kitchen and bathroom 1/4 turn shutoff valves. Which while installing the bottom panel in the vanity after using hole saw to cut the holes to clear pipes. The panel hit one of the valves and OLD FAITHFUL. Laughing And I was leaning right over them when they went off. Laughing Laughing touchy But originally i was thinking of a glass block shower, that would have been bigger than this shower. Very Happy

But when Mom was alive she didn't want me to do any remodel she wanted to keep the house the way my Grandfather had it. The bathroom was added on in 1948-1950 and plumbing and tile and everything was getting bad when she was alive. Now i finally decided to get things done. I still don't know why my Grandfather put so many windows in the bathroom? But those will be replaced hopefully in the next month with glass block windows.

davidhoutz wrote:
The only thing I hate about stackable washer/dryer is you have to use special soap.

Really? I didn't know that. but i have not really checked them out that much. Just contemplating them because they would give me more floor space.

davidhoutz
Uber
Uber

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yea, I didn't know that either until last week when I was looking. I forget the symbol but if the soap doesn't have it its no good. Something to do with too many bubbles. And the soap costs more than normal. Wait, just thought of that. Its for front loading washers. So if the stackable has a top lid than its o.k. with normal soap. All the stackables I looked at were front loaders.
MyDvd7MD
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Ok that must be what all the HE laundry soap is used for in those machines. Very Happy

madbrad
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.44

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

HE soap is not "special". It's just that if you have a front loader you need to use HE soap. It's as available as any other soap and I don't think it costs much more if at all. Let me correct myself here. It's not front loaders specifically, but any washer that tells you to use it, which is mostly front loaders. HE stands for high efficiency, and that refers to the machine not the soap. These machines use far less water. Regular soap gets too sudsy for that amount of water and you may burn out the bearings on your pump because it's only seeing bubbles. Buying a good quality front loader is good on your pocketbook and on Mother Earth. It's worth the extra money. However not all front loaders are created equal. Right now the large appliance industry is in a state of flux and companies are buying and selling each other by the month. The namebrand on the front of the machine can be misleading. Find out who owns who first, then you must do a lot of research on reliability before buying. This is crucial! Be very careful. Do not dive in. Don't listen to salesmen. Any store has a vested interest in pushing a certain brand so the salesman cannot be trusted.
Here's a place you may choose to start research:
http://appliantology.org
You have to bring beer. It's a Samurai method of appliance repair.

MyDvd7MD
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. Not ready to replace the old washer and dryer yet. But soon. The washer is starting to act up. You can hear it running but when you lift the lid it isn't agitating, but you drop the lid and it starts again. It is doing it every now and again. It's like locking up. It's like your car is in drive but your not going anywhere. Laughing I have a guy coming friday to give estimate for glass block windows in basement. Old stone foundation and i don't feel comfortable trying to install them. Very Happy I should do some quick research online to see how much of a bitch they can be. I heard they can be a pita. Very Happy I have taught myself alot doing work on this old house. Kitchen was my first project. Never did anything like that before. Bathroom was also a first. But Glass block windows. Confused

davidhoutz
Uber
Uber

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I know a guy in PA that does that stuff and is very resonable but don't close to you. But they aren't that big of a deal to put in. skill level 2 out of 10 IMO.
Frank4202
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.76

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1997 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Looks good. Got a great view of that shower from the window Wink Laughing

Sold 28/10/11
MyDvd7MD
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank4202 wrote:
Looks good. Got a great view of that shower from the window Wink Laughing

Laughing It has privacy film on now but glass block windows soon. Glass block window is cheaper than taking the window out reboarding everything, insulating, residing outside. My grandfather liked lots of windows it seems. Laughing

davidhoutz wrote:
I know a guy in PA that does that stuff and is very resonable but don't close to you. But they aren't that big of a deal to put in. skill level 2 out of 10 IMO.

My nephew, Coty, was saying that he starting construction with a friend and they were doing some for another house. He said "take the old window out and square opening and then mortar, and take this thing like a cake decorating tool and squirt something in there.:" I told him they would need to mortar them in this old house. Stone foundation is nice but pain. I redid the wooden frames a few years ago and just cut the side vertical pieces longer and tap them in, i want to say the windows are held in by compression but that's not right, and i can't think of the word. I have to see if i can find a diy site that explains glass block windows. My nephew said they charged $200/window. But that is standard size and in this house nothing is standard. Everything has to be custom, or reworked to fit. Electrical is touchy most wiring is new, but there are some places in this house that have wiring almost 100 yrs. old. And that will give you an attitude adjustment. Laughing I have been tingles before, just feels like a vibration. But there is one outlet in this house that is new. I was working and was pushing it back in, no i didn't shut power off, that's for wimps. well i touched the sides of outlet and light up time.

MyDvd7MD
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Just got some free oak laminate flooring given to me. My Dad's friend only had it down 1yr. and has taken it out when they remodeled their kitchen and enlarged it to encompass the dining room and they put down ceramic tile. He paid over $450 for it and i got it for free so it is going into my laundry room. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: