NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - need help with what to do with my tranny...
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

need help with what to do with my tranny...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.65

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject:  need help with what to do with my tranny... Reply with quote

Hi guys, hate to start another thread about my impala but shes been having some problems lately.

Here starts the long ass story; sorry!

I've been doing a lot of highway driving lately and I've been noticing after driving 70-85mph for awhile, and then slowing down to city speeds 35-55mph, the shifts are pretty slow/sloppy, and the tranny is whining VERY loud, throughout 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. I'm guessing that's the PCS whining? If I turn the car off for awhile and let it cool off and drive off again it's still loud, but the shifts are back to normal and it's all good. Okay, now where it gets bad. Friday afternoon, backing out of the garage into the road, and then I put it in Drive. Upon giving it gas it shuddered like hell and up until 3k rpm it barely moved, and then SLAMMED into gear and spun the tires...so much that traction control engaged. It did this two more times as I was leaving my neighborhood, and then drove off fine, and has been driving fine..even drove 160miles on the highway and it didn't hiccup once..just the tranny was whining loud as hell like usual. It has been giving me problems with slamming into gear after not being driven for awhile (usually after sitting overnight) for a long time now.

My car just rolled over 116k miles, its at about 116,251miles right now.

I was wondering what route would be best for me?

Should I attempt at replacing the PCS, and while having it all apart, doing the shift kit while I am at it? http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/.....movie.html That link makes it seem pretty simple and straight forward to install the kit. If installing the kit along with replacing the PCS as well as whatever else is easy to get to when I'm down there will give me little longer on this tranny PLEASE let me know.

Other than what happened on Friday, it has been shifting PERFECTLY for the last 116k miles of the transmission's life. The torque converter still locks up great, never surges, 4th gear is still intact...

Thanks for the help in advance, and sorry for the long ass story...this car's my baby and I would hate to have to get rid of it.
davidhoutz
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.28

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm not much of a tranny guy but it sounds like its on its last leg. Might be time for a rebuild.
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

davidhoutz wrote:
I'm not much of a tranny guy but it sounds like its on its last leg. Might be time for a rebuild.

I've been driving it since that day and it's been shifting perfect throughout all different throttle positions, hard or soft launch from a stop it did great. There's one thing I messed with after the shuddering happened and that was spraying my MAF Sensor down with Brake parts cleaner, and surprisingly enough black stuff puddled underneath it in the throttle body so I guess it was dirty having never been cleaned in it's 116k miles in service. I only cleaned it because I remember someone saying something about the MAF Sensor telling the PCM about line pressures in the tranny...I took a shot at it and it seems to have made the tranny shift beautifully and perfectly again for the meantime.

I still would like to get opinions on either Replacing the PCS along with installing a shift kit, probably the the one from intense-racing. Should I replace the PCS even if I'm not having severe problems with it yet as a precaution, and if I'm in there are there any other solenoids/valves that are easy to get to? I'm not tearing the tranny apart, I would be only removing the side cover for the PCS and the pan to get to the accumulator and filter.

Any ideas?
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.63

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You realllllyyyy shouldnt be spraying the MAF with brake cleaner, they sometimes dont get along very well.

Run out to your local parts store and buy some CRC MAF Cleaner, its made specifically to clean MAF sensors!

And for God's sake, remove the MAF prior to cleaning it, dont shoot anything except carb cleaners into the throttle. Rolling Eyes

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

MISHNAH wrote:
You realllllyyyy shouldnt be spraying the MAF with brake cleaner, they sometimes dont get along very well.

Run out to your local parts store and buy some CRC MAF Cleaner, its made specifically to clean MAF sensors!

And for God's sake, remove the MAF prior to cleaning it, dont shoot anything except carb cleaners into the throttle. Rolling Eyes

I'm sorry it wasn't brake parts cleaner, it smelt exactly like it but it was a small bottle of Subaru Throttle body cleaner in a spray can, and when I sprayed it I had a shop rag behind the sensor so it couldn't go any further. You have any thoughts on the tranny issue? When I go out later for lunch I will stop and grab some of that CRC MAF cleaner.
Baywing
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.06

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

From what I have experienced with the 4t65e tranny, I wouldn't waste your time with the PCS. I understand it is very difficult to get to and you'd only be buying a little timeand likely putting good money after bad. Look into the TEP rebuilt tranny as long as yours is still running as they need a little lead time.
Danny90044

Posts per day: 0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Having a very similar problem with my 02 imp. I'm gonna try the MAF cleaner. Thanks for updating.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chibiblacksheep
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.47

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Since I know in the future after the turbo build I will probably be going to TEP for a transmission, 2 years ago I just grabbed a junk yard transmission with a 1 year warranty for $500 and threw it in. I've been fine every since.

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.58

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Between a trans that is on its way out and your recent accident, it's time to send the Impala out to pasture. To be honest it would be a better investment to start flushing cash down the toilet than fixing the car...

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
Between a trans that is on its way out and your recent accident, it's time to send the Impala out to pasture. To be honest it would be a better investment to start flushing cash down the toilet than fixing the car...

I agree, but we've got a lot done to the imp right now and it's almost back to perfect. Got the radiator support straightened out by my dad's body shop, the upper motor mounts are now back to exactly how they were before the accident. We are getting a painted LS bumper with painted moldings for $270 to our door. We ordered a new bumper reinforcement and bumper foam for $80, and we are getting a new primer'd hood from a local craigslist ad for $215. That is all we need, and it will be back to perfect. I'm going to have to purchase new projectors but that's not a big deal.

Now what I came to this thread to post about.

I tackled the shift kit myself tonight. I waited until my dad got home to make sure if I got stuck anywhere that he would help me. BTW, it hasn't done the shuddering since 3 days after I posted about it....weird but whatever. The fluid was in there for 117k miles, and came out like it was water, that's how old it was. Luckily, the pan had NO surprises for me! The magnet had stuff on it but that was expected. There were NO chunks/slivers/nothing on the pan, just the normal stuff, for a 117k mile car. I followed all instructions that came with the shift kit, and a little help from the thread on LS1Tech forum. Put it all back together, filled up with 7 quarts of Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc III and a bottle of lucas trans fix and took it for a drive. It shifts like a dream, and the whine when in "1" is now GONE, reduced to BARELY being able to hear it.

I started it at 6:30, ate dinner thru it, and drove it at 9. Not bad for a 16 yr old doing it by himself.

Here is a video that I took when I went out. The SVS light is on because I do not have my high beam bulbs in so it can't turn on the DRLs, I had it scanned at the local Chevy dealership. Also had them address the problem I was having with the connections under the seat that triggers the SRS light to come on the dash....all fixed!

http://s1197.photobucket.com/a.....EO0002.mp4
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.53

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Looks like it downshifts pretty good. I have to say, I was looking through some of your video's and in one of them, you are bottoming out that RE, that's why is sounds like that. Turn the gain down some before you fry that vc.

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

barnettimpala wrote:
Looks like it downshifts pretty good. I have to say, I was looking through some of your video's and in one of them, you are bottoming out that RE, that's why is sounds like that. Turn the gain down some before you fry that vc.

It does downshift and upshift in a way sportier manner now. I'm taking it on the highway tomorrow night, 60miles both ways and I'll see how it handles coming in an out of lock up and downshifting to pass. I have the battery terminals unplugged right now to reset the PCM so it can adapt tomorrow when I drive it around town. Installing the kit is so easy, I would recommend it to anyone who isn't too happy with the shifts they're currently having.

It wasn't bottoming out, that amp was defective and was sending it a efffed up signal on the low notes. I now have two of the RE SRX12D2's on a Infinity Kappa One @ 2 ohm. They handle it beautifully.

You talking about this video?
http://s1197.photobucket.com/a.....09_914.mp4
It sounds like it's bottoming out but that amp was defective. I'll record a video of my 2 12's tomorrow.
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.95

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Good deal with the shift kit. Sounds nice. Very Happy You say your fluid was 117,000 miles old. Was is pretty dark? I want to cahnge mine, but I've heard here it could really mess it up.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
Good deal with the shift kit. Sounds nice. Very Happy You say your fluid was 117,000 miles old. Was is pretty dark? I want to cahnge mine, but I've heard here it could really mess it up.

Yes, that's correct. The tranny has never in it's life been serviced, and I'm glad I did it. It was pretty dark. In the pan it looked like dino engine oil that hadn't been changed in 10k miles...but when you put some on your finger, you could see thru it, but it was pretty darn dark.
I took a water bottle and put some of the fluid in it to take a pic...here you are.

Pretty nasty if you ask me. It's going to take a while getting used to how nice it shifts now...Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: