NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Selling the Impala, looking at a G8 or Charger
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Selling the Impala, looking at a G8 or Charger
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ImpalaJoe83
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2013 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject:  Selling the Impala, looking at a G8 or Charger Reply with quote

Well my time with the Impala has been short but very sweet. Got it used in August 2009 and will be selling in the next couple of months for something RWD. Been a super reliable, safe, practical and surprisingly fuel efficient daily driver but I just need some more excitement. I've dropped about $2,500 in mods on it though, so it won't be without emotion that I bid it farewell!

As I have a two-year old, I need to stay practical with 4 doors but I want RWD and V8 power in something that handles and drives better than the Impala. As I want to stay American (or as American as I can get), that really just leaves me with the G8 or the new Charger.

I absolutely love the G8 GT from a driving and aesthetics point of view. Really understated looks, but badass at the same time. Interior is nice, especially with the two-tone red/onyx seats, but is already looking a bit dated. I also love the G8 GXP, but don't know if it makes sense to spend an extra $10k to get one over a GT.

The Charger R/T has an amazing interior, nice engine and great styling. However the transmission sucks balls and every man and his dog are gonna be driving one within the year, just like the outgoing generation. I like the fact that the G8 is a far more 'unique' car.

Neither the GT or Charger have a manual trans which is a huge annoyance.

So, any opinions that could potentially shine some light on my dilemma? Smile
chibiblacksheep
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.48

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Cadillac CTS?

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If it's a big enough annoyance that they don't have manual transmissions, you could spring for the GXP, which IIRC does have a manual.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ImpalaJoe83
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2013 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

chibiblacksheep wrote:
Cadillac CTS?

CTS only has the 3.6, and I'm trying to stay within a $25-30,000 range. If I find a GXP for that price, it's pretty much a done deal but they're as rare as s**t from a rocking horse.
chibiblacksheep
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.48

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ImpalaJoe83 wrote:
chibiblacksheep wrote:
Cadillac CTS?

CTS only has the 3.6, and I'm trying to stay within a $25-30,000 range. If I find a GXP for that price, it's pretty much a done deal but they're as rare as s**t from a rocking horse.

I figured I didn't have to type the -V since you said RWD and V8. Although the V6 is still 300+ HP.

Why not a used CTS-v you should be able to find a used one for your price range.

edit:

Here's one in Ohio.

http://www.autobytel.com/conte.....eries_vch/

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.55

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2005 Infiniti G35
2008 Subaru Impreza
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Toyota Space Cruiser

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Why even consider a G8? The car hasn't been sold in the US for 2 years now, odds of finding a reasonable price on a decent condition GXP are slim and good luck with maintenance and replacement parts that aren't being airmailed from Australia for big $$$. It doesn't even make sense if you want to buy "American." Buying an Australian built car that was rebadged to a brand that's been dead for 2 years? How American made is that? Confused

The only American made sedan with a V8 and manual that you're going to find in what I'm imagining your price range to be is a first gen CTS-V. Their resale values are a pig and you can easily find one in the $20-30k price range. Hopefully you can find one that doesn't have too much abuse and grenades its rear diff on you.

Whatever you get, I hope you're planning on snow tires or you're going to have a miserable winter. RWD + V8 + Toledo isn't going to work out well with all-seasons.

I say go find a Hemi Jeep Grand Cherokee. Actually built in America, V8, 4WD or RWD, no manual, but one of the better choices you can make if you're going to have a 2 year old passenger. If you're stuck on V8 + manual tranny + sedan, go German. The Americans cater to the lowest common denominator, BMW and Audi have been building V8 powered sedans with 6 speeds for years. The E39 BMW M5 or B6 Audi S4 fit the bill nicely.

ImpalaJoe83
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2013 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Haha tell me how you really feel helldorado. I know the G8 is Australian built, but at least the engine and transmission is American even if it was shipped to Aus for assembly. The beauty of a GXP is that its value will not decrease unless I mod the crap out of it and/or rack up a ton of miles.

I find the G8 a far better looking car than a BMW or Audi, and it drives just as well as those. The first en CTS-V is ugly IMO and looks dated as hell, so I wouldn't consider that.

I don't really care for anything pre-2011 Chrysler, so the Grand Cherokee is definitely out. Far too big with far too many problems and flimsy plastic interior materials for my liking.

And regarding the Winter, I will have a gorgeous Chevy Prizm to tackle the snow-covered roads.
bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.11

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ImpalaJoe83 wrote:
I know the G8 is Australian built, but at least the engine and transmission is American even if it was shipped to Aus for assembly.

Actually, it's not...

The L76 in the G8 GT is built in Australia and the LS3 in the GXP is built in either Canada or Mexico

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
RedMonteSS
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.32

2006 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ImpalaJoe83 wrote:
Haha tell me how you really feel helldorado.

ImpalaJoe.. met Helldo Cool

-----------------------
327whp 369 ft-lbs@4500rpm
13.026sec@109.03mph
ImpalaJoe83
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2013 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bbengineer wrote:
ImpalaJoe83 wrote:
I know the G8 is Australian built, but at least the engine and transmission is American even if it was shipped to Aus for assembly.

Actually, it's not...

The L76 in the G8 GT is built in Australia and the LS3 in the GXP is built in either Canada or Mexico

BBEngineer

Ahh, I thought the LS3 was built in Wixom
Jayme
Dedicated
Dedicated

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bbengineer wrote:
ImpalaJoe83 wrote:

the LS3 in the GXP is built in either Canada or Mexico

BBEngineer

Canada and Mexico are both in America... Very Happy

Start them out right...
bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.11

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Jayme wrote:

But neither are considered American... hence the terms Mexican and Canadian

Haven't we beaten this dead horse enough... buying 'American' is a nice sentiment, but there really is no such thing...

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
helldorado
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.55

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2005 Infiniti G35
2008 Subaru Impreza
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Toyota Space Cruiser

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bbengineer wrote:
ImpalaJoe83 wrote:

Actually, it's not...

BBEngineer

And the T56 is built in Mexico by Tremec too.

Jayme wrote:

Let me know when they vote or start paying taxes to the USA. If they were Americans, then we wouldn't have a bunch of right wingers crying about all the Mexican illegal immigrant day laborers.

ImpalaJoe83 wrote:
The beauty of a GXP is that its value will not decrease unless I mod the crap out of it and/or rack up a ton of miles

I disagree with you there. Resale values on a GXP are high now, but the used car market is also the highest its been in something like 15-20 years. GXP is a little higher because it had the smallest release, but its resale values have not held appreciably higher than the rest of the market.

Look at Saturn, Oldsmobile, or any other brand that's been killed, their resale values took a nose drive. Once the G8 hits the 4-5 year mark, it'll be greatly diminished as well. Dead brands always result in car prices going to hell.

My STI, its 3 years old with 42k miles on it, I could resell it for about $5-6k less than what I paid for it new, that's where the market is at. All used cars have had their resale values go up because leasing was cut back in 2008 with the recession (fewer off lease, used cars available now) and with gas prices up again, many people are still opting for used over new to keep the purchase prices lower.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/.....ices_n.htm

TSS
Member Level
Member Level
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.56

2010 Lincoln MKS
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ok, neither rwd nor v8. but don't forget about the SHO (awd v6 twin turbo). just thinking non fwd family sedan with some excitement . if I did not hate my ford dealer, I might consider one.

2010 Buick Enclave CXL - bone stock;
2010 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost - V6 AWD Twin Turbo; Livernois Motorsports Tuned, 0 to 60 in 3.90 seconds;
2014 Impala Limited LTZ
2009 Impala SS (SOLD)
ImpalaJoe83
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2013 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Helldorado, some interesting information in that article. I think I'm still in a decent position to buy used though as I'll be selling the Impala, so while it's only BB'd at $8-9,000, that's still a good price considering I paid $11k 2 years ago and have since put on almost 30,000 miles.

Took another G8 out today and I just love this car. Yes, I know it's not American in the true sense of the word but it still 'feels' American to me. Maybe my perception is effed, but I just don't feel the same excitement in a European sedan.

Luxury cars have never been a pull for me. Maybe it's because I grew up around them my whole UK childhood and always hated the stigma attached to them. Seriously, the idea of driving a BMW or an Audi is about as appealing as unprotected sex with a gay prostitute.

The G8 has its shortcomings like any other vehicle, but the more I think about it, the more I think it's the only viable choice for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: