NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

Briggs Auto Group - Discount GM Parts & Accessories 
NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - ABS problems, 2002 Impala
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

ABS problems, 2002 Impala

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plano-doug

Posts per day: 0.02

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject:  ABS problems, 2002 Impala Reply with quote

My son's 2002 Impala is giving him some ABS problems. The system occasionally turns on the ABS light, and it's happening more frequently. He says the problem seems to coincide with making turns and running thru our alley way. The alleys are dished so they load the wheel bearings differently than a typical flat or crowned roadway. An intermittent, low humming noise also occurs.

I've heard the noise in the past and it's hard to identify. It sorta reminds me of wheel bearing noise, but it seems a little louder. And it's intermittent, so I'm doubtful it's wheel bearings. Plus, we just put new Timkens (from Rockauto) on the front a couple months ago - surely they haven't died that quickly. When we put them on, the noises and ABS problems seemed to go away.

But now they're back. We're getting these ABS codes:
DTC C1221 LF Wheel Speed Sensor Input Signal is 0
DTC C1225 LF Excessive Wheel Speed Variation
DTC C1226 RF Excessive Wheel Speed Variation
DTC C1248 Dynamic rear proportion (DRP) )disabled

If the wheel hubs weren't brand new, I'd think that was the problem.

I checked the wiring harness to the RF wheel. This bulletin. found on this forum, indicates that's a common problem, but I've carefully examined that wiring and don't see any signs of failure. (But now I need to get some new wire loom and put everything back together Embarassed )

So, what could the noise be? Does the ABS system make low, humming noises? It's definitely not the sound of the ABS system engaging. That noise is much louder. Could one of these new hubs have somehow failed so soon? Does the ABS Control Module make noises other than when pulsating the brakes? How can I diagnose this? Thanks.

Doug
98ss
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.33

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If new hubs were put on, then they should not make noise. Looks like on the left front the sensor inside the hub could be fragged. Were the hub nuts torqued to the proper torque?
plano-doug

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

98ss wrote:
If new hubs were put on, then they should not make noise. Looks like on the left front the sensor inside the hub could be fragged. Were the hub nuts torqued to the proper torque?

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I used a torque wrench, and new bolts. 96 foot-pounds per the Haynes book.

Could the noise be some sort of low-level assertion of the ABS system? It's definitely not the normal sound of the ABS kicking in, but I wondered if there's another, lower level that would make the sound I'm hearing.

Visually inspecting the hubs, they look fine.

I need to see if I get the sound with the ABS system disabled. That should help me eliminate some of the possibilities.

/// [Edit] I just got it buttoned back together, took it for a drive, and everything is fine. No codes - none - zip - nada. Go figure.

The other day, it was giving codes for both front wheels, the car was making noises, and the ABS light came on.

Since then, I went thru the front right sensor cable inspecting for breaks all the way back to the split near the starter. No signs of breaks, so I put it back together. Included with that were several insertions/extractions of the connecter at the hub to clean the connector contacts, thinking maybe a poor connection there could be part of the problem. Did the same on the left front connector, too.

I then cleared the codes, took it for a test drive, reading the codes repeatedly, with no sign of problems. No low, grinding-humming noises, no ABS light, no nothing.

For now, I'm relieved. But, as much as I wanna believe it's fixed, I can't help but think this isn't the last we've heard of this. I'll keep my fingers crossed it doesn't come back any time soon.

Doug

Chamber

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The low humming noise could have been the Traction Control System engaging, which can happen if there is a problem with the ABS (wheel speed) sensor.
Glad to hear the problem went away!
plano-doug

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Chamber wrote:
The low humming noise could have been the Traction Control System engaging, which can happen if there is a problem with the ABS (wheel speed) sensor.
Glad to hear the problem went away!
Thanks. That's good to know.

Doug

98ss
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.33

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The origianl torque from skf was 159 for the fronts, but they revised it this year to 118 ft lbs.
SXS

Posts per day: 0.01

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Hello!

I recently purchased the Impala and there is ABS light. Could you please explain how you figured out the ABS codes? (I think I need to check them too)
Did you use soething like OBD II Scanner or somthing else?

Thank you!
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 5.13

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You need a scanner that does ABS codes. Most of the cheap OBD2 things the auto parts stores sell don't do this. You can either go to a shop and have them pull the code for you or go and buy an expensive scanner.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

SXS

Posts per day: 0.01

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thank you for that fast reply!

I`m going to try to buy the scanner which I could connect to laptop and try to read the codes. Like ELM 327. Hope it will work.

Does Ipmala has ABS sensors in/on bearings or barings have some magnetic ring and the sensor located on the car?

There comming a time to change the tires to winter or all season ones so I`ll be able to see what`s wrong with the wires and see is there any problems.

Is there is any repair manual for Impala somhere? (I searched and all I foud are How-to and DIY articles most of which I do not need.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: