NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - motor is pretty loud when a/c is on
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

motor is pretty loud when a/c is on

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.66

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject:  motor is pretty loud when a/c is on Reply with quote

Hi guys been noticing an issue with my 3.8 impala whenever the air conditioning is on. It's been 93+ the last month so the a/c is a necessity. It's quiet as anything when idling, but when given gas the engine roars, along with a slight whine when the a/c is on. When driving, the car is so damn sluggish it's ridiculous, I usually have to go 3/4 - 100% throttle to pass someone, and when the RPM's get 4k or so and up the a/c will disengage until the RPMs come back down...very annoying. When the RPM's go up and the a/c disengages you can tell because it get's a LOT quieter and also has a lot more pickup.

has anyone else had this issue before?

thanks for the help in advance.
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.64

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

TURN YOUR A/C OFF NOW!!!! Exclamation

I had the same symptoms, my compressor was knocking, then got louder, and acceleration went down too.

Wound up my compressor was failing and shot metal particles through the entire system. Needed a new compressor, new condenser and rubber lines, flushed lines and evaporator, new orifice tube, plus o-rings and refrigerant.

The sooner you stop using it, the less crap that will contaminate the system. Take it to a shop and let them diagnose it, just beware it wont be cheap. I've yet to run the numbers, but I've spent about $700 just on parts so far Shocked Sad

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

MISHNAH wrote:

I had the same symptoms, my compressor was knocking, then got louder, and acceleration went down too.

Wound up my compressor was failing and shot metal particles through the entire system. Needed a new compressor, new condenser and rubber lines, flushed lines and evaporator, new orifice tube, plus o-rings and refrigerant.

The sooner you stop using it, the less crap that will contaminate the system. Take it to a shop and let them diagnose it, just beware it wont be cheap. I've yet to run the numbers, but I've spent about $700 just on parts so far Shocked Sad

It doesn't sound like it's knocking....it sounds like a compressor, but really loud...lol.

My dad is a mechanic, and has been one for 27 years; subaru certified. I was going to show him when he got home from work today but he wasn't in a good mood because his Harley was giving him problems.

The a/c cools as good as it did the day we bought it, has never had a leak. is there any other signs other than just the compressor knocking/being loud?
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:
MISHNAH wrote:

It doesn't sound like it's knocking....it sounds like a compressor, but really loud...lol.

My dad is a mechanic, and has been one for 27 years; subaru certified. I was going to show him when he got home from work today but he wasn't in a good mood because his Harley was giving him problems.

The a/c cools as good as it did the day we bought it, has never had a leak. is there any other signs other than just the compressor knocking/being loud?

Put your hand or a stethoscope on the compressor, you'll feel/hear knocking/banging. And yeah, mine worked fine up until the point the knocking got really, really loud. Laughing

It could also be a blockage at the orifice tube, it tends to get gunked up thus making the compressor work a lot harder on the suction side. This may have been partially to blame for mine, when I removed mine it was covered in a thick sludge of burnt oil and metal shavings. Mad

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

MISHNAH wrote:
billy101 wrote:
MISHNAH wrote:

Put your hand or a stethoscope on the compressor, you'll feel/hear knocking/banging. And yeah, mine worked fine up until the point the knocking got really, really loud. Laughing

It could also be a blockage at the orifice tube, it tends to get gunked up thus making the compressor work a lot harder on the suction side. This may have been partially to blame for mine, when I removed mine it was covered in a thick sludge of burnt oil and metal shavings. Mad

I've been reading around lately that the orifice tube is REALLY hard to get to in these cars? I have a lot of free time on my hands, and would like to try and get to it. Would replacing it have anything to do with the freon in the system? I don't want to introduce any leaks into my a/c system..

I will take a really long screwdriver to it tomorrow and listen closely. If it's knocking it needs replacing?
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:
MISHNAH wrote:
billy101 wrote:
MISHNAH wrote:

I've been reading around lately that the orifice tube is REALLY hard to get to in these cars? I have a lot of free time on my hands, and would like to try and get to it. Would replacing it have anything to do with the freon in the system? I don't want to introduce any leaks into my a/c system..

I will take a really long screwdriver to it tomorrow and listen closely. If it's knocking it needs replacing?

Yes, if its making any sound above whirring, it will need to be replaced.

You've probably read my posts in regards to the orifice tube. Laughing If you have a non-ABS Impala, its not that bad once I figured out a few tricks. ABS cars are a bit harder due to the extra tubing for the ABS, but my method should still work, if not the master cylinder isnt that hard to remove and then you can have easy access to remove the metal lines to get to the orifice tube.

To replace it, you'll have to open the system up, so that means you'll have to get your refrigerant removed by a shop, then you can do the rest of the work yourself and either vacuum and charge the system yourself, or have a shop do it.

billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

MISHNAH wrote:
billy101 wrote:
MISHNAH wrote:
billy101 wrote:
MISHNAH wrote:

Yes, if its making any sound above whirring, it will need to be replaced.

You've probably read my posts in regards to the orifice tube. Laughing If you have a non-ABS Impala, its not that bad once I figured out a few tricks. ABS cars are a bit harder due to the extra tubing for the ABS, but my method should still work, if not the master cylinder isnt that hard to remove and then you can have easy access to remove the metal lines to get to the orifice tube.

To replace it, you'll have to open the system up, so that means you'll have to get your refrigerant removed by a shop, then you can do the rest of the work yourself and either vacuum and charge the system yourself, or have a shop do it.

Ugh, darn it!! I wish things were easy. I will definitely take a listen to it tomorrow and will have my dad take a look at it as well. If the compressor needs to be replaced, I'll replace the orifice tube at the same time as well as anything else that should be replaced.

My impala does have ABS..i've used it plenty of times to avoid accidents.
Rakshatiz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2001 Chevrolet Impala
1986 Pontiac Solstice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My A/C is acting a little weird too, but mine sounds like I have an extra engine under the hood when its on. It cools down good tho

nightryder wrote:
My oversized radiator has a nice c**k though, nice and smooth operation.

BlackVenom wrote:
You gotta be really careful with this stuff as it's a pretty big deal and serious business. I can't imagine what would happen if i miss applied that stuff.... itd be like feeding a dog chocolate, putting a tinfoil hat on it and throwing it in the microwave for 60s.....
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Rakshatiz wrote:
My A/C is acting a little weird too, but mine sounds like I have an extra engine under the hood when its on. It cools down good tho

That's exactly what it is in mine...almost like two motors going at once! I will try and record it tomorrow possibly.
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Anytime the a/c system is opened, you must replace the drier/accumulator, its only about $30 so its not bad.

My method of removing the metal a/c lines involves unbolting the master cylinder and pulling it forward, then squeezing the metal lines between the m/c and brake booster. Its quite easy to do on a non-ABS vehicle, but once the ABS module is unbolted from ABS cars, it should move out of the way enough.

The brake booster is physically actually easy to remove, its just that the small metal clip that holds the brake pedal is a huge PITA to get out!

Service Manual calls for removed of the brake booster, and that was my plan, had it not been for the pedal clip. So I made my own way. Twisted Evil

DennisW
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject:  Re: motor is pretty loud when a/c is on Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:
Hi guys been noticing an issue with my 3.8 impala whenever the air conditioning is on. It's been 93+ the last month so the a/c is a necessity. It's quiet as anything when idling, but when given gas the engine roars, along with a slight whine when the a/c is on. When driving, the car is so damn sluggish it's ridiculous, I usually have to go 3/4 - 100% throttle to pass someone, and when the RPM's get 4k or so and up the a/c will disengage until the RPMs come back down...very annoying. When the RPM's go up and the a/c disengages you can tell because it get's a LOT quieter and also has a lot more pickup.

has anyone else had this issue before?

thanks for the help in advance.

My 2004 9C1 (3.8) is pretty loud with the A/C on also. I've done the stethescope on both the compressor and clutch and they're quiet (relatively....no knocking). I can't complain, the car gets cold enough to hang meat in, and in this high-90's weather that's just plain wonderful!!

I will agree, if you're hearing knocking or other strange noises from the compressor or clutch you're probably not far away from an expensive problem. Personally if I ever need my orfice tube changed I'm just gonna take it to someone instead of that nightmare. Annoying that they make it so hard on this car. My '92 9C1 was a snap to replace the compressor, dryer, and orfice tube on when the compressor went out. I converted it to R-134 at the same time and just like my current Impala, it was like a meat locker inside with the A/C running! Gotta love GM air conditioning!!
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Okay guys, finally got around to getting a video of it...idk what happened to the audio at the end of the video...probably put my finger over the mic by accident...
anyways. heres the noise what i seem to believe the a/c compressor is making...

http://s1197.photobucket.com/a.....42_441.mp4

any help is appreciated, thanks
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:
Okay guys, finally got around to getting a video of it...idk what happened to the audio at the end of the video...probably put my finger over the mic by accident...

Yup, new compressor time.

billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

MISHNAH wrote:
billy101 wrote:

Yup, new compressor time.

Great, my dad's gonna love hearing this...he'll want to sell the car...:/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: