NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Would you trust it?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Would you trust it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fearless2005
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Question Would you trust it? Reply with quote

First off, I'm not sure if this belongs in this section. It's more of a question but it regards the transmission...

I have the slipping/hard shift issue with my 2005 Impala (3400). Since these symptoms started, I've driven over 25k miles on it with no problems...until recently. On hot days, the car struggles to get up to speed. It's almost as if I was towing a house. I'm talking 0-60 in 11 seconds(If that). I'm sure the Torque converter has something to do with this.

QUESTION: Would you guys trust it going 260 miles from Chicago-Ohio? I guess I'm asking if anyone ever had these transmissions crap out on them?

Again, thank you for reading this and appreciate any info.

John Zaharopoulos
habermehl
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.53

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

No.

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:
how do the dealer's expect us to get the cars there if they don 't run at all?

Tow Truck?
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.66

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Is it throwing any codes?
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.99

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Personally, I wouldn't trust it.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Fearless2005
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Nope. No CEL at all. When I took it to the trans shop, they said that they're surprised that the CEL light is not on. I'm not really Transmission savvy so I'm sorry if I'm explaining this wrong or poorly...

I guess something with shifting should be at 5psi(PCM maybe) and mine is reading high throughout all shifts. Around 16+PSI.

Thanks Pushrod and habermehl...I'm starting to agree.

Last edited by Fearless2005 on Mon May 30, 2011 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.63

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The trans won't cause the MIL to come on as it's strictly for emissions related problems. I had a p1811 with no MIL.

My guess is that something that is reading high is your PCS and your transmission is slowly committing suicide. I wouldn't trust it on the drive. I went through the same thing over the last 15k miles. The trans had been acting a bit strange for the better part of the last two years and then all of the sudden started banging into gear and and having all sorts of trouble downshifting. Sounds like you need a new PCS at a minimum and more than likely a full rebuild.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Fearless2005
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I think you're right. So far I've gone around 20k miles with this issue. I know it was a risk but I think it's near the end of the line. I heard about Triple Edge Performance and I'm considering going that route. Love the car so the last thing I want to do is sell it or cut my losses.

Thanks to all!
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I would have gotten a TEP trans, but I couldn't swallow the cost of shipping and core fees to have one delivered to a shop in TN. I seriously thought about driving up, but Dave said he would need me to leave the care with him for at least three days and that wasn't in the cards either. In hindsight, it might have been a better idea to get one of his transmissions, but we will see what happens when I get my recently rebuilt, already acting up transmission checked out today.

Dan wrote:

d
Fearless2005
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
I would have gotten a TEP trans, but I couldn't swallow the cost of shipping and core fees to have one delivered to a shop in TN. I seriously thought about driving up, but Dave said he would need me to leave the care with him for at least three days and that wasn't in the cards either. In hindsight, it might have been a better idea to get one of his transmissions, but we will see what happens when I get my recently rebuilt, already acting up transmission checked out today.

I totally understand. I live in Chicago and Ft. Wayne is about 4hours away from me. my gf lives in Ohio so I drive through his city all the time. I plan on buying one from him and driving it back here to have it installed at a buddy's shop. Just a matter of using my 9mpg muscle truck to get it Sad

Do you have the same symptoms as before?
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Turns out the problem was the shop didn't have the right amount listed for a rebuilt transmission. The mechanic came to my house (no joke... actually drove over to my place) and put 3.5 quarts of fluid in and everything is good to go on the transmission front.

Dan wrote:

d
Fearless2005
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
Turns out the problem was the shop didn't have the right amount listed for a rebuilt transmission. The mechanic came to my house (no joke... actually drove over to my place) and put 3.5 quarts of fluid in and everything is good to go on the transmission front.

Could have been a lot worse! Glad to see it was a simple fix. I bet there is a sense of relief knowing you don't have to go through a rebuild again.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Who knows what damage was done in the 75 miles it was driven before I knew I had a major issue with the fluid level. It may still need to be torn down again, but I'm taking it back to the shop tomorrow for them to give it a throughout inspection of the transmission and an evaluation of my fuel level sender issue... this car is really getting on my damn nerves.

Dan wrote:

d
timpala11
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.65

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

buy an upgraded tranny.....no matter what.....my bro just put another one in, last one only lasted 30k.....and they put the same s**t one into it....against my advice.

Casey Lee is the greatest girl in the world!!!
<3 <3 <3
Fearless2005
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
Who knows what damage was done in the 75 miles it was driven before I knew I had a major issue with the fluid level. It may still need to be torn down again, but I'm taking it back to the shop tomorrow for them to give it a throughout inspection of the transmission and an evaluation of my fuel level sender issue... this car is really getting on my damn nerves.

And yet these engines are built pretty darn tough. It's ashame that these transmission issues are so common in these. If GM started the 5/100k in 2005 or earlier, can you imagine all of the repairs?! I've had 4 Impalas(all 2005) and each one had the symptoms start at around 66k miles. It seems like the lifespan on these are around that many miles.

timpala11 wrote:
buy an upgraded tranny.....no matter what.....my bro just put another one in, last one only lasted 30k.....and they put the same s**t one into it....against my advice.

That was my plan. I figure I might as well get more bang for my buck and make sure it can last a long time. What kind of specific things SHOULD be upgraded in your opinion?
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.99

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:

If there was any damage caused, I hope they swallow the fees.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: