NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - PassLock Security Light Bypass
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

PassLock Security Light Bypass
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeeVert
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject:  PassLock Security Light Bypass Reply with quote

My 2002 Impala left my daughter stranded three times with a flashing Security light in the last month. I did some research and decided that the resistor bypass was the most reliable and inexpensive solution.

It took me about two hours to take apart the dash and carefully double check everything I did, and take pictures. If I did it again... maybe 45-60 minutes (plus getting resistors).
I was lucky to have some resistors close to what I needed, so it cost me nothing but some time.

Here's what what I did:
Remove the dash to get to the ignition switch. I have more pictures, but I'm pretty sure there is a write-up to take the dash apart.
Here's one: http://impalahq.naioa.com/HowTo/Dash.html
Remove the two bolts from the switch, and pull it down so you can get to the wires.

Find the three wire bundle coming from the key-end of the switch. They are small white, yellow, and black wires. Other people say don't cut the white or black. I cut all three, so I could unwind them from the other wires. Also, cutting and reconnecting the black wire is much easier than stripping the insulation with a freaking exacto blade. (anyway, it's OK to cut all three for your convenience)

Reconnect the white to white and black to black.
Connect your Ohm meter to the key end of the cut yellow wire and the reconnected black wire.
Turn the key to on. Step on brake and put the shifter in reverse, so it won't start.
Turn the key to Start and release to On, and check your ohm reading. Try it a few times to verify the reading.
My "key" resistance checked at 1230 ohms and up to 1350 ohms.

I happened to have three resistors totaling about 1390 ohms. (At least according to my $10 meter).

I connected my string of resistors to the yellow wire from the wiring harness and the other to the reconnected black wire.

I put the car back in park and tried to start it. It started.
I tried it several times to make sure. But we also have to remember that this problem was very rare and random.

I finished trimming the wires and soldering the connections.
It still started OK.
I taped up all the connections. (I will not show pictures of that.... Not too proud)
It still started.

For fun, I diconnected the battery for a few minutes (while I check the oil, topped off the washer fluid, etc.). Reconnected the battery and started OK.

I'll keep my fingers crossed, and we see it lasts. According to everything I read, it should be OK, unless there is an issue with the BCM, BCM connections, or the wiring from the resistor to the BCM.

I hope this helps anyone else having PassLock problems.

And here is a picture of the best and fastest soldering "gun" in the world:

The best source of information I could find was:
http://www.bergerweb.net/grandamsecurityfix.htm
There is lots of good information there.

I took a quick look at the BCM to see if I could make the bypass there, and avoid digging into the dash. The BCM is under the dash, just left of the steering column. I unplugged the center plug, but it didn't seem to match the Grand Am BCM. It was easier working at the switch, instead of under the dash, anyway.

ZeeVert
02 Impala LS

Last edited by ZeeVert on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total
ZeeVert
Cadet
Cadet

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The bypass is still working fine. I haven't had a problem in almost a year.

ZeeVert
02 Impala LS
Danno

Posts per day: 0.01

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Wow. If only I had known to do this when I was bashing my head into the steering wheel waiting out the 10 minutes of leaving the key in the on position to get it to start. This should be in the FAQ section for sure.
ZeeVert
Cadet
Cadet

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.
There's been a lot of views on this, and I been dieing to know if it helped anyone take the plunge... or if it scared everyone away.

Then again, This car is 10 years old. It's getting close to the time to let it go...

ZeeVert
02 Impala LS
bigdog60
Resident
Resident
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That was a great write up,,not sure how I missed it. Thank for letting us know it worked.

grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.4

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

when i was looking for awnser on this, i couldnt find this link...... nor did anyone link it lol i was getting the light 1-3 times a day!
when i got my overkill tune i also got him to disable that, never had a issue since

Mods:4'' HAI\L67 HVTB\HV3\ER Rockers\WP underdrive pulley\Headers\cat delete\91 octane overkill incar tune.
3.69 gears soon!!
slowsol
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I did this exact 'mod' on my SS. I wasn't really having a problem, but I was installing my viper alarm/remote start and this saved me from having to get the security bypass for the remote start to work. It was a cheap(free really) mod and has held up for 2 years now.

Great write up btw.

2004 SS - 3.5 MPS, ZZP DP, GMPP Catback, Wizaird, Yella Terra 1.9, 105# CompCams Springs, Overkill, GMPP Sways, GMPP trailing arms, Areoforce, Autometer Phantom Boost - Trans Temp, Z06 Calipers, Stainless Lines, Alpine HU, Polk, AutoTap
70_Malibu
Cadet
Cadet

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject:  Passlock Security FIX. Reply with quote

Thank you for taking the time to post this! This is good stuff. However, I believe I took the "lazy man's" way out. I avoided soldering by buying a terminal strip and resistor at Radio Shack and building a little circuit bridge.

I hope I can post this link. I take no credit, but good stuff as well!:
http://www.bergerweb.net/PasslockFix/

Why measure the resistance of your "old" reading, when the BCM can recalibrate itself to a "new" (reliable) resistance? I did the relearn trick, and it took 3 times, (which was a bit unnerving), but it popped off on the fourth try.

Buh-Bye issues. Total cost, $11.53. (Yeah, I mail ordered... I don't like going to Radio Shack. I find their in store service around here lacking.)

GOTIT4CHEAP16
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.8

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

grimsin wrote:
when i was looking for awnser on this, i couldnt find this link...... nor did anyone link it lol i was getting the light 1-3 times a day!
when i got my overkill tune i also got him to disable that, never had a issue since

We can disable it using a tuner? Why didnt i know about this? lls How do i do it? I have a dhp tuner.

Mods: 3.0 MPS | Gen V | N* TB | LQ4 MAF | 130# Springs | XP Cam | |Stage 3 Ported Heads| Roller Master Double Timing Set | CAI | PRJ Wires | AL104 | Speed Daddy Headers | EGR Delete | ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler | 42lb Injectors |
13.4 @ 106

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3183434
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.4

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

GOTIT4CHEAP16 wrote:
grimsin wrote:

We can disable it using a tuner? Why didnt i know about this? lls How do i do it? I have a dhp tuner.

I would email overkill as he did this for me.

Mods:4'' HAI\L67 HVTB\HV3\ER Rockers\WP underdrive pulley\Headers\cat delete\91 octane overkill incar tune.
3.69 gears soon!!
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.63

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Here's a slightly easier way.

Once the ignition switch is dismounted, you can just turn the key, press in the lock for the key cylinder, pull it out of the starter switch, and then remove the Passlock connector from the starter switch. Then just push the lock cylinder back in.

The Passlock connector has female terminals, so you can just plug in your resistors directly into it.

100% reversible, no cutting, splicing or soldering (besides soldering the resistors together)! Very Happy

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bushead2kx

Posts per day: 0

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject:  Thanks ZeeVert Reply with quote

I was having the no start issue once a day and tried this and havenít had the problem in over a month. The hardest part was getting that d*** bracket off under the steering wheel. Thank You ZeeVert!!!
ZeeVert
Cadet
Cadet

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject:  Re: Passlock Security FIX. Reply with quote

70_Malibu wrote:
.....Why measure the resistance of your "old" reading, when the BCM can recalibrate itself to a "new" (reliable) resistance? I did the relearn trick, and it took 3 times, (which was a bit unnerving), but it popped off on the fourth try.

You are correct. Quite frankly, I was nervous about changing the resistance and decided to try and match the original resistance.

I've reached a year and a half with this fix, and no issues.
My Impala has over 160,000 miles, and it's all cleaned up and ready to sell.

ZeeVert
02 Impala LS
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.31

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Good thread, despite being a regular visitor I've missed it. apparently several times.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tavohl

Posts per day: 0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

So installing a remote starter on the car, would also 'fix' the problem?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: