NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - About these "lower priced" intakes...
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

About these "lower priced" intakes...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patyson
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.28

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject:  About these "lower priced" intakes... Reply with quote

...I'm sure you get what you pay for,but what is with the major difference in quality and,therefore,prices?

Say,$200+ for a real K&N,or $50 or less for what seems to be a no-name intake.

Why not the cheaper one? It probably sounds like I'm answering my own question,but set me straight,guys.

thanx
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.63

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Take it from a guy that bought a K&N intake... make your own and save some money or spring for a JMB intake.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
BlackVenom
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.54

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you're talking about the prepackaged deals (not diy), I doubt there's much off with them. I'd never use one of their filters though. I'm actually thinking about buying a ebay special or the like just for the maf plug/coupler,

Brigoyanks
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.03

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject:  Re: About these "lower priced" intakes... Reply with quote

patyson wrote:
...I'm sure you get what you pay for,but what is with the major difference in quality and,therefore,prices?

Say,$200+ for a real K&N,or $50 or less for what seems to be a no-name intake.

Why not the cheaper one? It probably sounds like I'm answering my own question,but set me straight,guys.

thanx

go to http://www.spectreperformance.com/#HOME and go to catalog and then air intake components and pick what you need and get like a 6inch k&n filter from pep boys
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The best way to do it imo is to make your own from the tutorial on this forum. I actually have one off of ebay that cost like $20-30. I've had it for several years, and it's actually good quality and the filter is good. The only draw back is that it's just a ram air intake, not a cold air intake. With a piece of intake tubing from an auto parts store however, it can be made longer. You can look in my garage and see the intake. The only draw back I had: For a few months after I got it, I had to tighten the silicone coupler to the intake. I'm guessing it was because it was new, b/c I would tighten it as much as I could, then a few days later, it would take a few more turns. Finally it settled and stayed tight. But for the money, it's decent. It even came with the bungs for the sensors

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.11

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

barnettimpala wrote:
The only draw back is that it's just a ram air intake, not a cold air intake.

Yours isn't a 'ram air' as it's not using an air pressure differential (and incidentally, even an intake that does take advantage of the air pressure differential only makes a real difference at speeds over approx 100mph)

Your intake is actually a Warm Air Intake as it's getting air from under the hood which is warmer than ambient. This design helps with fuel economy but not usually with performance (usually hurts performance). You may get a small performance increase w/ a warm air intake if it significantly reduces the intake air restriction

If you are looking for a performance increase, buy a quality intake that draws cold air from either the fender well or behind the headlight (with a baffler to reduce heat soak)... You can build one as well, as long as you ensure that you are getting cold air

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
BlackVenom
Member Level
Member Level

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject:  Re: About these "lower priced" intakes... Reply with quote

Brigoyanks wrote:
go to http://www.spectreperformance.com/#HOME and go to catalog and then air intake components and pick what you need and get like a 6inch k&n filter from pep boys

Why buy some parts from Spectre but not the filter? Damn near everything BUT their filters are overpriced.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: