NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Porter Cable buffer
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Porter Cable buffer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stephenhelsel

Posts per day: 0.01

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Oooh ! Porter Cable buffer Reply with quote

So i finally went and picked up my porter cable buffer from lowes the other day after doing a bunch of reading on the forum and I think that was the best investment I ever made for my car care. night and day results from the cheap autozone buffer i had. i actually enjoy detailing the car now.
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.99

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I didn't know they sold these at Lowe's. How much did it cost if you don't mind me asking?

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
stephenhelsel

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

go on lowes website and you'll find it there. i paid 110 on sale from 120. i just used the polish pad that came with it and got great results. i got other pads and a back plate on the way that i just ordered.

specs on buffer:

4.5amp
variable speed 2500-6800 rpm
accepts 5/16 spindle
6lbs
model#7346SP

***and it has a 6'' counterweight
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.99

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Wow only $110. Very Happy I thought these were around $300.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
stephenhelsel

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i have seen different sites selling kits which incliudes buffer, pads, and back plate. that may why it was more. just the buffer with the polish pad that came with it was 110
MCO_Death
Guru
Guru
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.95

1994 GMC Sierra
2006 Dodge Charger
1995 Buick Regal
2012 Dodge Charger

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Porter Cables are well worth the investment, especially if you are a freak about keeping your cars looking showroom good all the time. Twisted Evil

That's your best friend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.66

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

MCO_Death wrote:
Porter Cables are well worth the investment, especially if you are a freak about keeping your cars looking showroom good all the time. Twisted Evil

x2

I would really recommend it to anyone who is going to wax their vehicles regularly, it makes the process so simple and so much less time consuming.
EMMJAY
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.64

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Dodge Magnum

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:
MCO_Death wrote:

x2

I would really recommend it to anyone who is going to wax their vehicles regularly, it makes the process so simple and so much less time consuming.

do u put wax on with one pad, then switch pads and buff it???

helldorado wrote:
EMMJAY, your car is coming together nicely as well!

Frank4202 wrote:
EMMJAY, you and I have always had the same taste in cars Hang Head 2
MCO_Death
Guru
Guru

1994 GMC Sierra
2006 Dodge Charger
1995 Buick Regal
2012 Dodge Charger

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:28 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

EMMJAY wrote:
billy101 wrote:
MCO_Death wrote:

x2

do u put wax on with one pad, then switch pads and buff it???

Not gonna speak for him, but I put the wax on by hand and then use the pad to remove

That's your best friend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EMMJAY
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.64

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Dodge Magnum

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ohhh okay, I wasnt sure how the process worked

helldorado wrote:
EMMJAY, your car is coming together nicely as well!

Frank4202 wrote:
EMMJAY, you and I have always had the same taste in cars Hang Head 2
TSS
Member Level
Member Level
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.56

2010 Lincoln MKS
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Me too, wax on by hand then use buffer to remove.

I don't have a Porter though, just a random orbital buffer. If you cannot afford Porter, at least make sure it is a random orbital buffer. I paid about 39 bucks for mine many years ago and it has served me well. If it ever breaks, I will splurge for the Porter.

2010 Buick Enclave CXL - bone stock;
2010 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost - V6 AWD Twin Turbo; Livernois Motorsports Tuned, 0 to 60 in 3.90 seconds;
2014 Impala Limited LTZ
2009 Impala SS (SOLD)
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 1.6

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You apply with the buffer and remove by hand. And the pad that it comes with is pretty much the bottom of the line. Also, there are pads specific to each application. Ultra fine pads for sealants and waxes, light cutting pads for polishes, etc.

If you're guessing about anything you're doing, you should return the buffer or do your homework. It's hard to mess up your paint with a porter cable, but if you keep listening to some of the advice in here, you'll screw up in a hurry.

For solid tips, check out this link.

http://www.detailedimage.com/A.....ng/#pc-how

I really can't understand why people use a machine to remove dry compounds from their car. If you apply with your hand, you're most likely using too much compound, not applying with even pressure, and really risking damage to your paint when you remove it with the machine. I would only recommend applying wax by hand after the paint has been polished and sealed. Then, I would still remove the wax by hand.

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
helldorado
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.55

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2005 Infiniti G35
2008 Subaru Impreza
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Toyota Space Cruiser

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

There's the right way of doing things, then there's the NAIOA way of doing things. Which is really just a variation of the wrong way, but faster.

stephenhelsel

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
You apply with the buffer and remove by hand. And the pad that it comes with is pretty much the bottom of the line. Also, there are pads specific to each application. Ultra fine pads for sealants and waxes, light cutting pads for polishes, etc.

If you're guessing about anything you're doing, you should return the buffer or do your homework. It's hard to mess up your paint with a porter cable, but if you keep listening to some of the advice in here, you'll screw up in a hurry.

I really can't understand why people use a machine to remove dry compounds from their car. If you apply with your hand, you're most likely using too much compound, not applying with even pressure, and really risking damage to your paint when you remove it with the machine. I would only recommend applying wax by hand after the paint has been polished and sealed. Then, I would still remove the wax by hand.

the pad that came with it was bottom line, i was just to impatient to wait for the new ones i ordered from detailed image. and after the first use it started to rip away from the back plate. still got good results from it compared to what i was getting with my autozone buffer. but i think it more the porter cable giving the results. And yes, it is a must for anyone that is OCD about their cars.

**and i like removing dried wax with a buffer. it helps give those nice swirl marks we all dream about having
MCO_Death
Guru
Guru

1994 GMC Sierra
2006 Dodge Charger
1995 Buick Regal
2012 Dodge Charger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:

I've yet to buy a wax that comes in a liquid enough form to actually apply with a buffer, Just sayin.

That's your best friend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Car Care All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: