NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - A/C Noise
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

A/C Noise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.53

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject:  A/C Noise Reply with quote

Well I've been an idiot for the last 4 years I've owned my car b/c for some reason I didn't want to run the A/C. Not once had I ran it, but lately I've come to love it. I replaced my cabin air filter, and now I use the A/C a lot. Now here is my concern. When I do run the a/c, there seems to be a knocking type noise, only noticeable at idle. It could be normal for a/c on these cars, but like I said I've never used it. If not, what's the problem? It only happens when the a/c is on and at idle.

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.63

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I guess you have some constant breeze there!!! My Impala has always lived in Louisiana and Texas, where its hot and humid, the A/C has been on virtually 100% of the last 188k miles. Laughing

With the A/C ON, pop the hood and and look down at the compressor and see if its knocking. You can also touch it, but it helps if the car isnt hot. Laughing

If you feel it knocking, its probably on its way out, or it might be low on refrigerant.

Mine started knocking, and got really bad, and now it doesnt work at ALL! Mad More than likely something has broken internally.

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.95

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You can use a screwdriver as a stethoscope to verify if the noise is coming from the AC.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.53

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

MISHNAH wrote:
I guess you have some constant breeze there!!! My Impala has always lived in Louisiana and Texas, where its hot and humid, the A/C has been on virtually 100% of the last 188k miles. Laughing

With the A/C ON, pop the hood and and look down at the compressor and see if its knocking. You can also touch it, but it helps if the car isnt hot. Laughing

If you feel it knocking, its probably on its way out, or it might be low on refrigerant.

Mine started knocking, and got really bad, and now it doesnt work at ALL! Mad More than likely something has broken internally.

Actually I didn't use it till I moved to Hawaii. I lived in Iowa before Laughing
I will try this tomorrow morning (It's only 8:26 here Cool )

And the screw driver is a good idea.

Update: I didn't get to use a screw driver or feel it because it was hot, but it is clear that the sound it coming from the compressor. Is there supposed to be some kind of sound coming from the compressor?

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: