NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - not sure where this should go, but question about voltage.
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

not sure where this should go, but question about voltage.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.66

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject:  not sure where this should go, but question about voltage. Reply with quote

Hey guys, got yet another question about my impala ls 3.8.

I've been noticing dimming a slight amount in the interior lighting and so today when I got home I thought I would throw a DMM on the battery and see where it's charging at. I was surprised to see that it was charging at 13.56 give or take a few hundredths. Is this good? Note this was after the car had been sitting for 25 minutes after being driven for an hour in 96 degree weather.

Oh and what would be the best way to bring power to the trunk from the front battery? I have two amplifiers with their own runs but I don't like the wire I used and it really needs to be re-done and cleaned up. Should I do a 0 or 2 gauge run to the back, into a distribution box, then out to both amps?

The amps are:
US Amps XT1000D
Eclipse 3322

So maybe a max of 650-700 watts.

Thanks!
BlackVenom
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.53

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I would think 2ga would suffice. And, how have you ran wire to the back? The best way is to run the + wire from the bay through the rubber grommet, under the trim and under the seats (idk if this is different in a base) into the trunk. Then make your own wiring point in the back for the ground.

billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

BlackVenom wrote:
I would think 2ga would suffice. And, how have you ran wire to the back? The best way is to run the + wire from the bay through the rubber grommet, under the trim and under the seats (idk if this is different in a base) into the trunk. Then make your own wiring point in the back for the ground.

Yeah, that's exactly what I have done...except it's done in s**t 6 gauge wire. I ran it thru the grommet and under the carpet and all is good...im just really looking to upgrade.

I grounded the amps to the passenger side strut tower, grinded down the metal.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.61

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject:  Re: not sure where this should go, but question about voltag Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:

I've been noticing dimming a slight amount in the interior lighting and so today when I got home I thought I would throw a DMM on the battery and see where it's charging at. I was surprised to see that it was charging at 13.56 give or take a few hundredths. Is this good? Note this was after the car had been sitting for 25 minutes after being driven for an hour in 96 degree weather.

Sounds about right. According to my Aeroforce my car starts up at it reads about 14 volts, drifting down to 13.7ish. When are you experiencing dimming? If you are at idle and using the power windows, seats, sunroof, steering, etc. you are going to get some voltage sag and dimming.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject:  Re: not sure where this should go, but question about voltag Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
billy101 wrote:

Sounds about right. According to my Aeroforce my car starts up at it reads about 14 volts, drifting down to 13.7ish. When are you experiencing dimming? If you are at idle and using the power windows, seats, sunroof, steering, etc. you are going to get some voltage sag and dimming.

I get some dimming when I'm playing music usually full tilt. At night I can tell there's dimming because the information center in the headliner and the display where the mileage is read dims a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: