NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 06+ Impala calipers arrived today
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

06+ Impala calipers arrived today
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.64

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Great ! 06+ Impala calipers arrived today Reply with quote

Ordered a used set of 06+ Impala front dual-piston calipers last week. Cost $100 shipped and they only have 4 miles on them! Very Happy UPS dropped them off this morning, they're nice and shiny and of course, like new. One of them needs some spray paint cleaned off, but no biggie.

I ordered them from Nordstrom Auto, http://stores.ebay.com/Nordstroms-Automotive-Inc , they dismantle a LOT of almost new cars and the prices are pretty good considering how new a lot of the parts are.

They did come with the original pads, according to the parts numbers they are AKEBONO pads. Only bad part is that one of them was dropped and chipped, which is a shame since they are all new.

I ordered some Bendix TitaniuMetallic semi-metallic pads, heard they work pretty well so I'll give them a shot. Also have new Centric rotors with the black hats on the way.

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!

Last edited by MISHNAH on Mon May 23, 2011 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.99

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Interesting. I didn't know the 06+ were 2 piston. Are they supposed too be better?

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.63

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

How does a wrecker get their hands on a car with 4 miles on it?

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
habermehl
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.53

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Maybe it literally fell off the back of the truck lol

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:
how do the dealer's expect us to get the cars there if they don 't run at all?

Tow Truck?
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
Interesting. I didn't know the 06+ were 2 piston. Are they supposed too be better?

Yup! They should be a bit better, not really sure how much. The nice part is that they are FOR the Impala, not an f-body or something else, so the master cylinder and pedal and everything works identically. I've read up on them, and the pedal and everything feels the same, just with a bit more stopping power.

My RF caliper has a stripped slider bolt anyway and I was going to get reman calipers, this actually costs me cheaper, and I needed to do pads and rotors anyway. Very Happy

Quote:
How does a wrecker get their hands on a car with 4 miles on it?

Look around at some of the other cars on there, it looks like they buy a lot of rejects from GM. A lot of them look damaged during transit or during test drives, or have other issues and GM doesnt want the liability.

Car companies are also limited by the govt in regards to how much "repair" work they can do to a "new" car. I've heard the dealer is limited to like $900, more than that and a car HAS to be salvaged! This is to prevent a dealer from fixing up a damaged new car and still sell it to you as "new" for the regular price.

Quote:
Maybe it literally fell off the back of the truck lol

There are a few cars on there where the roof and trunk lightly grazed an overpass. It happens Laughing

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
shotokan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Akebono, for those that follow Sumo wrestling! Laughing Seriously never heard of that brand,
gopedxr7
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.45

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1996 Chrysler Grand Voyager
2003 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer
1989 Suzuki Vitara
2012 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i thought about this when i was doing the fbody brakes. the good side is that it does not mess with the hydraulics as much. but the down side is that its a heavier caliper which messes with sprung weight. the fbody is lighter than stock single piston.

but i would prefer having the better hyrdaulics. let us know how it works out.

Alan

Master Level
Master Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

gopedxr7 wrote:
i thought about this when i was doing the fbody brakes. the good side is that it does not mess with the hydraulics as much. but the down side is that its a heavier caliper which messes with sprung weight. the fbody is lighter than stock single piston.

but i would prefer having the better hyrdaulics. let us know how it works out.

Alan

They weigh 33 lbs for the pair including pads, just checked. Probably 5-10 extra pounds per side over the original calipers? Dont think thats a huge amount of weight. On the bright side, its not extra rotating mass.

Quote:
Akebono, for those that follow Sumo wrestling! Seriously never heard of that brand,

They're a huge company that sells OEM brake pads to a LOT of car makers, GM and Asian companies seem to all use them, plus others. They sell them aftermarket also, but they're not as big here and none of the auto stores sell them, so you have to know about them in the first place and then buy them online.

k6ng6r00
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.44

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Did you install them yet? do they use the same pads as our calipers? I just ordered new ebc redstuff pads so if they will fit ill prob try to snag some

MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

k6ng6r00 wrote:
Did you install them yet? do they use the same pads as our calipers? I just ordered new ebc redstuff pads so if they will fit ill prob try to snag some

Nope, havent gotten around to it yet. Working almost every day and dont want to do anything on my few off days. Laughing

The 06+ Impalas have completely different calipers, rotors, and pads, than the 00-05 models, so your pads wont work.

k6ng6r00
Member Level
Member Level

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

damn i wish i knew about this before i got my new pads... anyone wanna buy a new set of ebc redstuff havent put them on yet..

topgun
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.28

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject:  06 impala calipers Reply with quote

Alright go easy on me I am a newbie Rolling Eyes
The 06 caliper, is this going on a different year impala? remember be easy on me.
Thank u. Cool

habermehl
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.53

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject:  Re: 06 impala calipers Reply with quote

topgun wrote:
Alright go easy on me I am a newbie Rolling Eyes
The 06 caliper, is this going on a different year impala? remember be easy on me.
Thank u. Cool

Yes, he is fabbing it to his 02 impala. Alot of people use the f-body calipers. they use them cause they are dual piston/look biger and better.

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:
how do the dealer's expect us to get the cars there if they don 't run at all?

Tow Truck?
topgun
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.28

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject:  06 brake caliper Reply with quote

OK. That is what I thought, just wasn't sure. Thank you.
So now we (I) need to know what else would we (I) have to change / do?

Any drilling, change rotors fill me in please. Stainless lines, got that.
Sounds like a good upgrade. Cool :

k6ng6r00
Member Level
Member Level

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

it sounds like new rotors and pads and your good to go

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: