NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account
 

  
NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - What's causing my terrible gas mileage?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

What's causing my terrible gas mileage?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
studjuice
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: Jul 25, 2010
Posts: 10
Posts per day: 0


2002 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject:  What's causing my terrible gas mileage? Reply with quote

Recently I've been driving only a simple 3 miles of high way driving, and back, and been getting terrible gas mileage. I mean, every round trip uses about a 1/16th tank of gas. I just got a new cat converter a year ago, so I shouldn't and better not be that. I use a scan program and did a test on this drive (one way). Is there anything that stands out??
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: May 19, 2007
Posts: 13731
Posts per day: 3.67
Location: Nashville, TN

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Have you been calculating MPG by hand? I've never trust the fuel gauge in my car for any sort of judgement of fuel economy.

Either way, I can tell you I drive three miles each way to and from work and during the winter I can get a whopping 13 MPG and during the summer I'm lucky to get 16 MPG.

_________________
helldorado wrote:
GLWTGFY. Big Thumbs Up

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.


d
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
studjuice
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: Jul 25, 2010
Posts: 10
Posts per day: 0


2002 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yeah that sounds about right. I'm getting about 150-200 miles out of a full tank
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
habermehl
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Jul 29, 2010
Posts: 1374
Posts per day: 0.53
Location: Ontario

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I usually get 19 - 25 mpg ( now that I'm watching how I drive lol ) when's the last time you did regular maintenance? Do you drive it hard? Make sure your tires are at the right psi. I noticed a little hike in my mpg after replacing an old fuel filter and PVC valve

_________________
bbengineer wrote:
And yes, I spend a lot of time deleting useless posts... many of which are yours
BBEngineer


billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:
how do the dealer's expect us to get the cars there if they don 't run at all?


Tow Truck?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: May 19, 2007
Posts: 13731
Posts per day: 3.67
Location: Nashville, TN

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Trust me, it doesn't matter how well maintained you car is if it barely makes it to full operating temp and most of the time spent driving it is while it's warming up.

_________________
helldorado wrote:
GLWTGFY. Big Thumbs Up

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.


d
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator


Joined: Mar 08, 2004
Posts: 12754
Posts per day: 2.6
Location: Tullahoma, TN

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo


PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject:  Re: What's causing my terrible gas mileage? Reply with quote

studjuice wrote:
Recently I've been driving only a simple 3 miles of high way driving, and back, and been getting terrible gas mileage. I mean, every round trip uses about a 1/16th tank of gas. I just got a new cat converter a year ago, so I shouldn't and better not be that. I use a scan program and did a test on this drive (one way). Is there anything that stands out??


3 miles of highway driving means you are driving 100% city and 0% highway.

Just because you are on a highway, doesnt mean highway mileage. What they mean by that is a long, extended, nonstop, uninterrupted, 55mph drive.

so welcome to my world of 100% city driving Laughing

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
05imp
Senior Level
Senior Level


Joined: Jan 01, 2006
Posts: 2302
Posts per day: 0.54
Location: Cleveland, OH

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Ford Ranger
2007 Ford Explorer
2008 Chevrolet Silverado


PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
Trust me, it doesn't matter how well maintained you car is if it barely makes it to full operating temp and most of the time spent driving it is while it's warming up.


Bingo!!
Plus remember the cat may not getting to a high enough temp do its own job and can be building up deposits it cannot be rid of.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
billy101
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Sep 12, 2010
Posts: 1704
Posts per day: 0.67
Location: Willow Spring, NC

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I drive 8 miles to school, and 8 miles back from school and sometimes a little more than that every monday-friday, the speed limit on the roads I drive are 45 and 55 mph. I'm pretty lucky in the mornings to not really hit much traffic and/or lights. I've been babying the throttle and I've been getting about 260miles on a tank before I have to fill back up. I had a pretty bad lead foot before I thought, hm let me try and save gas by not accelerating as hard. Went from 200 miles to 260 miles give or take a couple. My driver information center where it shows MPG and miles left to empty, etc is pretty accurate when it comes to MPG and the amount of fuel used. Last time I filled up it was 1mpg off and .5 gallons off what I really used, I still reset my trip each time I fill up too..

The thing that really KILLS your mpg is unnecessary idling around along with hard accelerating. Watch your driving habits and try and change them and see how you do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor


Joined: Nov 30, 2008
Posts: 6396
Posts per day: 2.01
Location: I love drawing butts on stuff.

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series


PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yeah, driving habits play a large roll. Last winter I was getting 17 mpg. I'm sure the FWI doesn't help, but 22 to 24 mpgs can be attainable.

_________________

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
billy101
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Sep 12, 2010
Posts: 1704
Posts per day: 0.67
Location: Willow Spring, NC

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
Yeah, driving habits play a large roll. Last winter I was getting 17 mpg. I'm sure the FWI doesn't help, but 22 to 24 mpgs can be attainable.


Yeah, the first tank after I got my intake was about 14.5mpg. That intake sound was great and I wanted to hear it all the time!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor


Joined: Nov 30, 2008
Posts: 6396
Posts per day: 2.01
Location: I love drawing butts on stuff.

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series


PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:
PushrodPower wrote:
Yeah, driving habits play a large roll. Last winter I was getting 17 mpg. I'm sure the FWI doesn't help, but 22 to 24 mpgs can be attainable.


That intake sound was great and I wanted to hear it all the time!!


The full throttle problem doesn't help me either. Twisted Evil

_________________

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
billy101
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Sep 12, 2010
Posts: 1704
Posts per day: 0.67
Location: Willow Spring, NC

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
billy101 wrote:
PushrodPower wrote:
Yeah, driving habits play a large roll. Last winter I was getting 17 mpg. I'm sure the FWI doesn't help, but 22 to 24 mpgs can be attainable.


That intake sound was great and I wanted to hear it all the time!!


The full throttle problem doesn't help me either. Twisted Evil


Do you have an intake? Or just the stock? because with the new intake it's WAY louder on WOT, and I go WOT a LOT.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigdog60
Resident
Resident
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor


Joined: Jan 27, 2009
Posts: 792
Posts per day: 0.25


2005 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yup! sneaker size makes a big difference. Only driving in the city is very hard on mileage.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor


Joined: Nov 30, 2008
Posts: 6396
Posts per day: 2.01
Location: I love drawing butts on stuff.

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series


PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:
PushrodPower wrote:
billy101 wrote:
PushrodPower wrote:
Yeah, driving habits play a large roll. Last winter I was getting 17 mpg. I'm sure the FWI doesn't help, but 22 to 24 mpgs can be attainable.


That intake sound was great and I wanted to hear it all the time!!


The full throttle problem doesn't help me either. Twisted Evil


Do you have an intake? Or just the stock? because with the new intake it's WAY louder on WOT, and I go WOT a LOT.


I made an FWI for it. And it's plastidipped too!! Laughing I installed last year. Sounds great.

_________________

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: May 19, 2007
Posts: 13731
Posts per day: 3.67
Location: Nashville, TN

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:

I made an FWI for it. And it's plastidipped too!! Laughing I installed last year. Sounds great.


You did not plasti-dip your intake... did you?

_________________
helldorado wrote:
GLWTGFY. Big Thumbs Up

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.


d
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Forums ©
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. Comments and posts are property of the poster. All other content is © 2008 by the NAIOA.


Use of this site constitutes agreement with the NAIOA Terms of Service (TOS)


PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
Server Local Time: August 17, 2017, 6:12:44 pm
Page Generation: 0.21 Seconds ( SQL 45:152 in 0.08 Seconds )