NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - A/C compressor knocking like hell!
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

A/C compressor knocking like hell!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.63

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject:  A/C compressor knocking like hell! Reply with quote

My A/C lost all pressure last year due to a small leak in the rubber lines, changed the hoses and dryer and recharged the system and it worked fine again. In the last few months, I started noticing my engine was getting louder and louder. Thought it was the 3400's usual slapping, but after turning off the a/c, it was whisper quiet.

The compressor got louder and louder, and 2 days ago my engine felt almost like it had a clogged cat, until I turned the a/c off. Sad Now the compressor runs, but just blows warm air. It sounds like it has rod knock lol, I'll try to tear it apart once its replaced.

I'll be getting a used compressor, new dryer and orifice tube, and maybe new rubber hoses depending on whether I find metal shavings once I take everything apart. Fortunately, the system on the w-bodies is pretty compact, so if I need to replace the metal lines it wont be too tough.

BTW who at GM thought it would be an awesome idea to put the orifice tube in the back left corner of the engine bay under the brake booster??? Mad This little bugger will be fuuuuun to replace. Laughing

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.97

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject:  Re: A/C compressor knocking like hell! Reply with quote

MISHNAH wrote:
BTW who at GM thought it would be an awesome idea to put the orifice tube in the back left corner of the engine bay under the brake booster??? Mad This little bugger will be fuuuuun to replace. Laughing

Same person who decides the location of the thermostat. Evil or Very Mad

I hope I don't have to look forward to this.

Do you know how to repair this? Working on A/C can be hazardous.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.63

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

So I checked the pressure in the system last week, low side was a bit weak so I added some more refrigerant, then it shot up to 160 psi and stayed there! Shocked Compressor was "running" but no change in pressure, so yeah, compressor shot BIG time and system is probably quite blocked. Sad

Opened the system up yesterday, FUBARED BIG TIME!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

The compressor shot little slivers of aluminum damn near everywhere. Mad The metal high-side line had a bunch of crap in it, and the orifice tube was caked with crud and metal. No wonder my low-side side would freeze over, it really was pulling suction big time, which probably also led to the demise of the compressor since it was working like hell.

I bought some A/C flush bottles and cleaned the lines, need to get some more to clean the evaporator now. Not even going to TRY to flush the condenser, its probably so full of crap its not even going to be worth salvaging.

Already have a used compressor and used condenser. I bought a new drier, orifice tube, a/c hoses, o-rings, valves, PAG 150 oil and R134A. AutoZone was awesome and rented me a vacuum pump and gauge set, so I have virtually everything I need to freeze my ass off again. Laughing

All going well, it will run me $200-300 for everything. Very Happy I wouldnt be surprised if this ran 1-2k at a shop due to the extent of the contamination in the system. Sad

Quote:
Do you know how to repair this? Working on A/C can be hazardous.

I went to the Junkyard School of Learning last week. Laughing I took apart the a/c systems on a few w-bodies to see how they go together, its really not so bad once you learn a few tricks. Very Happy I've suctioned and recharged a/c's before, if you pay attention its nothing too hard.

I also figured out how to remove the a/c metal lines without removing the brake master cylinder. Twisted Evil You dont even want to know how much of a PITA it is IF you do have to remove it. Laughing

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: