NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Do you believe in car developing a personality?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Do you believe in car developing a personality?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think your car has a personality?
Yeah maybe.
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
No you're off your rocker!
41%
 41%  [ 7 ]
Definately.
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 17

Rakshatiz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2001 Chevrolet Impala
1986 Pontiac Solstice

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject:  Do you believe in car developing a personality? Reply with quote

So I just got a job as a salesman at a Nissan dealership and I have been fawning over a Maxima. Well today after work at my old job (I just put in my 2 week notice) I had to run up to Walmart to get Liquid Plumr and when I get out to my car it would not start and the security light came on. My parents owned the car before me and this happened a few times, it was the usual wait 10 minutes and it starts, but I have never had it happen to me. I'm not crazy and I don't believe that inanimate object can develop sentience. I put alot of love and care into my vehicle and do not see them as just transportation and while it may be wicked coincidence weird things happen sometimes, like my Fiero which has NEVER had any problems with running hot started to run hot when i stopped to look at a Nissan GTR as soon as I drove away it was fine and never happened again. What do you think? Can a car develop a personality of sorts or is it just nutty coincidences?

nightryder wrote:
My oversized radiator has a nice c**k though, nice and smooth operation.

BlackVenom wrote:
You gotta be really careful with this stuff as it's a pretty big deal and serious business. I can't imagine what would happen if i miss applied that stuff.... itd be like feeding a dog chocolate, putting a tinfoil hat on it and throwing it in the microwave for 60s.....
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.95

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It's just a POS.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Rakshatiz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2001 Chevrolet Impala
1986 Pontiac Solstice

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thnx bro, btw I have take pretty good care of my car, it only has 93k on it and It never happened before with me. When I got the car the problem stopped happening.

nightryder wrote:

BlackVenom wrote:
You gotta be really careful with this stuff as it's a pretty big deal and serious business. I can't imagine what would happen if i miss applied that stuff.... itd be like feeding a dog chocolate, putting a tinfoil hat on it and throwing it in the microwave for 60s.....
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.58

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You, my friend, are a case study in confirmation bias. The truth of the matter is you are driving cars that are 10 and 25 years old... s**t happens to old cars all the time.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Rakshatiz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2001 Chevrolet Impala
1986 Pontiac Solstice

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm just curious if you have ever noticed this kind of thing in your cars? I'm not doing a scientific study, it just seemed like the only reason it happened was because I was threatening to replace it.
EDIT: Its similar to the idea that some people believe that their car seems to run better after it get washed.

nightryder wrote:

BlackVenom wrote:
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 3.58

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It's all confirmation bias. If you want to buy into it, by all means go ahead. All you are doing is molding your thoughts to fit the information at hand.

From a non-scientific standpoint... I was looking at a Genesis coupe a few weeks back and about a week alter my transmission decided to s**t the bed immediately killing any chance of getting the Genesis I had. So I suppose if I succumbed to confirmation bias, my car was punishing me for considering getting rid of it.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.53

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Just one of those things if you pay attention you notice and can make yourself believe anything. But, they do have a personallity of some sorts. I'm pretty sure our cars, and most likely newer ones in general adjust to different driving styles. When I got my car is was super slow, because my grandparents obviously don't treat it like a teenage kid, but it got faster and shifted different over time. But then again, if they don't do this, then I'm in the same boat as you Laughing

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.95

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

barnettimpala wrote:
Just one of those things if you pay attention you notice and can make yourself believe anything. But, they do have a personallity of some sorts. I'm pretty sure our cars, and most likely newer ones in general adjust to different driving styles. When I got my car is was super slow, because my grandparents obviously don't treat it like a teenage kid, but it got faster and shifted different over time. But then again, if they don't do this, then I'm in the same boat as you Laughing

Adaptive transmission. Cool

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.55

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I agree with the OP. Ive had cars "act up" on me when I start looking to get rid of them. You all know me, none of my cars are ever in bad shape, are never more than 3 years old and never have more than 40K on the clock. Cars are meticulously maintained & always repaired with the highest quality parts. I wont even use store brand glass cleaner to clean the windows.

I always say the same thing to the car, "You know Im looking for something new, you think you'd behave yourself so Id consider keeping you"

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.6

2009 Toyota Tacoma

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

When ever I'm feeling a little crazy it's nice knowing I can just come on here to restore my sanity and confirm I'm really not that nuts.

Jesus created the internet and puppies and dandelions and kittens and sunny days and lollipops and impalas and turbochargers and pizza and beer and wings and boobies and blowjobs and pizza and pizza and pizza and beer and snow days and football and cheerleaders and drag radials and nascar and everything else that's awesome.

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
It's hard to find retards of this quality in such masses. It's truly amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MCO_Death
Guru
Guru

Posts per day: 0.94

1994 GMC Sierra
2006 Dodge Charger
1995 Buick Regal
2012 Dodge Charger

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pitch Black SS wrote:
I agree with the OP. Ive had cars "act up" on me when I start looking to get rid of them. You all know me, none of my cars are ever in bad shape, are never more than 3 years old and never have more than 40K on the clock. Cars are meticulously maintained & always repaired with the highest quality parts. I wont even use store brand glass cleaner to clean the windows.

I always say the same thing to the car, "You know Im looking for something new, you think you'd behave yourself so Id consider keeping you"

My version of sweet talking involves "You better start or i'll start you on fire..." Oddly enough, it seems to work most of the time Shocked

That's your best friend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
timpala11
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.64

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

20SS07 wrote:
When ever I'm feeling a little crazy it's nice knowing I can just come on here to restore my sanity and confirm I'm really not that nuts.

this.

although i'll be cremated so i can't become a zombie. Laughing

Casey Lee is the greatest girl in the world!!!
<3 <3 <3
Jeff
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I had my restored 56 Fleetwood for over ten years with never a thought of selling the car. Wonderful runner...I could drive it anywhere anytime. One day I decided to put the car up for sale and after a few weeks I had a guy come from Georgia to look at the car. What did it do? It puked up its heater core for the whole world to see.....he still bought the car that day, but sometimes I do believe they can develop their own form of a personality.

Jeff
Dazzle
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.41

2002 Chevrolet Impala
1988 Jaguar XJS
2008 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I think of a car personality is more of a driving habit. If you take hard turns, your tires wear faster. I just see it as the car is as good as the driver, take care of it and itll take care of you. Treat it like s**t, and itll give you the same action.

helldorado wrote:
Don't look at me, I'm still allowed at Chuck-E-Cheese and on match.com.
RedMonteSS
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.32

2006 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:25 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Dazzle wrote:
I think of a car personality is more of a driving habit. If you take hard turns, your tires wear faster. I just see it as the car is as good as the driver, take care of it and itll take care of you. Treat it like s**t, and itll give you the same action.

Concur. Personality of the car is how it performs and acts. I think OP has this confused with the car becoming jealous, which is a load of crap. If the car really wanted to stay, it wouldnt have taken a dump. It would do things to make you happy, like give you a handjob while you drive. At least that was what my ex did right before i left her....

-----------------------
327whp 369 ft-lbs@4500rpm
13.026sec@109.03mph
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: