NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 01 Impala 3.4L
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

01 Impala 3.4L

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solitudeofmind

Posts per day: 0

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject:  01 Impala 3.4L Reply with quote

I was told about this site through another one I recently joined...

I've been having problems with my Impala and have searched/heard multiple 'fixes' & suggestions, to no avail.

I have got the SES light on, and took it over to get my codes read (Autozone & Advanced)

Code: P0420 is coming up

Now before I tried anything, I put some Lucas in the gas tank, and it took the light off for about 3 days. And of course it turned off on a Friday evening with no one available to look at my car (for inspection)

Light comes back on, so I decide I'll put more in. Doesn't work this time.

Checked the codes again and 2 codes popped up, P0420 and another dealing with the MAF sensor. Replaced the MAF and only P0420 remained.

Now I replaced the front 02 sensor last year, so I don't think it could have gone bad that fast. I have not replaced the after cat 02 sensor, just due to the fact that the code says its "Bank 1 Sensor 1"

I've checked for any vacuum leaks but couldn't find any.

Some people are telling me to replace the EGR valve; replace 02 sensors; replace catalytic converter; and other various things.

Those 3 were the top 3 'solutions' that I asked/searched.

I tried to take my Cat off to clean it (saw a video saying how) but broke two ratchets trying to do so.

I don't have the money to get a brand new cat installed and was wondering if anyone (with car experience) has any solutions/suggestions.

I just need this light to go away for one day so I can pass inspection and fix it when I get the money
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other issues that have/haven't been fixed:

Leaking coolant - needs refilled every month - Not fixed
Gas gauge inaccurate - Not fixed
Turn signals/Hazard lights - Fixed
Pinging sound from front driver side tire while making right turns - Not fixed
Replaced spark plugs/wire set - Fixed
bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Couple of questions

1) What brand O2 sensor did you replace it with? (By the way, the P0420 isn't an O2 sensor code per se, it's a catalytic below efficiency code, which can be due to bad O2 sensor(s), or, more likely for an 01, a bad cat... see #2)

2) How many miles? (There is an issue w/ the 01 cat and they extended the warranty)

3) Are you actually leaking coolant? Can you see a puddle? If not, I'd bet your LIM gaskets are shot

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
Solitudeofmind

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

1) What brand O2 sensor did you replace it with? (By the way, the P0420 isn't an O2 sensor code per se, it's a catalytic below efficiency code, which can be due to bad O2 sensor(s), or, more likely for an 01, a bad cat... see #2)

- - - I am not sure what kind of O2 sensors I used before.. I have been looking around on the forum and read that it was best to use AC Delco/Denso sensors.

2) How many miles? (There is an issue w/ the 01 cat and they extended the warranty)

- - - About 174,000 miles. The previous owner never got the emissions tested/checked due to the location he lived in.

3) Are you actually leaking coolant? Can you see a puddle? If not, I'd bet your LIM gaskets are shot

- - - I don't see puddles underneath the car. But I have to refill the the coolant every month. Underneath the engine I have seen oil, and I've read that the manifold gaskets are bad on this year/model vehicle.

Also last year I believe I had the same code come up, and I replaced the before cat 02 Sensor AND used the Lucas gas treatment and it went off.

Thanks again for your help
DennisW
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bbengineer wrote:
Couple of questions

BBEngineer

After two Impalas of different model years (2001/2004) which both threw P0420 codes, I'm gonna vote for the Cat being shot, especially at the mileage you report. Actually you're pretty lucky to have gotten that far before the Cat toasted itself.

You can replace both O2 sensors, not a bad idea at the mileage you have, but if the code comes back your only solution is a new Cat. Sorry, I know they aren't cheap but if you have to pass an emissions or safety inspection you really don't have much of a choice.

BB does have a point about the LIM gaskets if you're losing that much coolant without seeing any external leakage, and also be aware of the fact that coolant leaking into the combustion process can damage the Cat as well, so you might want to consider replacing the gaskets before or at the same time you replace the Cat, if that's what the problem ends up being.
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.92

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Also, post up your location in your profile, that way if someone is close to you they may be able to help you do the work yourself and save you some cash. (usually just requires asking nicely and a case of beer Laughing )

NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Unfortunately, at 174k miles, you are even out of the extended Cat warranty and it definitely sounds like your Cat is shot

It also sounds like your LIM gaskets are toast and you are leaking coolant into the cylinders...

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
DennisW
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bbengineer wrote:
Unfortunately, at 174k miles, you are even out of the extended Cat warranty and it definitely sounds like your Cat is shot

It also sounds like your LIM gaskets are toast and you are leaking coolant into the cylinders...

BBEngineer

yep. either way its gonna cost a few bucks
habermehl
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.51

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bbengineer wrote:

BBEngineer

how long was the extented warrenty?

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:
how do the dealer's expect us to get the cars there if they don 't run at all?

Tow Truck?
Solitudeofmind

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Dang. Alright.. Thanks for the information.

Location updated*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: