NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - The AT is taking a dump
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

The AT is taking a dump
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samson_420
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.06

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject:  The AT is taking a dump Reply with quote

How long do I have left until it's toast? It started bucking a bit today. I checked the ATF and it looks decent but with a decent amount of gray soot.

Also, I think I seen a write up on here on a removal procedure for this hunk of crap. My damn car has only 83 thousand babied miles. Yet the giant monster rims couldn't help too much either.

Another thing what is a typical price you guys are paying for a reman AT? I really have no money, this is just at the worst possible time.

Also is there a guide to pull the AT on here somewhere? I thought I seen one on here before, but couldn't find one.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3835796
samson_420
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Anyone, awake in the Impala land?

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.57

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Are you sure it's the transmission? I had issues with both the catalytic converter and MAF that i was 100% certain was the transmission quitting on me.

When I was looking at transmission for one of the above issues quotes ranged from 1600 to 3000 dollars.

As far as taking the trans out and fixing it yourself, PM labriola or Whitelightning04MC as they both did their own trans repairs.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
samson_420
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yup, it is the trans. I can see the gray soot on the dipstick building.

The AT is eating itself up.

MCO_Death
Guru
Guru

Posts per day: 0.93

1994 GMC Sierra
2006 Dodge Charger
1995 Buick Regal
2012 Dodge Charger

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

samson_420 wrote:
Yup, it is the trans. I can see the gray soot on the dipstick building.

The AT is eating itself up.

In short, Your SOL.

It could limp on for a year, it could die tomorrow, there really isn't any sure time-frame when its already showing metal in the fluid. I would say the average cost of a transmission rebuild is between 1800-2500 after labor... if not more these days.

That's your best friend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It's gonna be a pricey repair (but also highly dependent on where you live). When I was looking at transmissions 2 years ago before I learned that my not getting out of 1st gear issue was a plugged cat, 2200 was the lowest quote I got around the Nashville area for a full rebuild.

Dan wrote:

d
samson_420
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Soooo, really how rough is it for me to do myself?

I am not the faint at heart, I just pulled a motor out of another beater in my driveway.

But, looking at the Impala's drive train makes it seem a bit more difficult then what I am use to.

I seen a handful of places around here doing remans for under 1 Grand. I know this is not pure quality, but they do warranty their work for at least 2 years.

Anyone use a "quality" low priced reman? The 4T65E sure is a big one, don't want to do it more then once.

MCO_Death
Guru
Guru

1994 GMC Sierra
2006 Dodge Charger
1995 Buick Regal
2012 Dodge Charger

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

samson_420 wrote:

I am not the faint at heart, I just pulled a motor out of another beater in my driveway.

But, looking at the Impala's drive train makes it seem a bit more difficult then what I am use to.

I seen a handful of places around here doing remans for under 1 Grand. I know this is not pure quality, but they do warranty their work for at least 2 years.

Anyone use a "quality" low priced reman? The 4T65E sure is a big one, don't want to do it more then once.

Quality and low priced usually don't go in the same sentence. That's just my 2 cents, i've never seen a transmission shop do any transmission for under a grand personally. Confused

That's your best friend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

MCO_Death wrote:
samson_420 wrote:

Quality and low priced usually don't go in the same sentence. That's just my 2 cents, i've never seen a transmission shop do any transmission for under a grand personally. Confused

The best bet for quality and price is TEP. You can get a basic rebuild from him for 1600 and you know those trans' are better than anyone else's rebuilds. Pretty sure he installs them for like 400 bucks too. so for 2 grand ..cant beat it

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

[quote="00impala123"]
MCO_Death wrote:

The best bet for quality and price is TEP. You can get a basic rebuild from him for 1600 and you know those trans' are better than anyone else's rebuilds. Pretty sure he installs them for like 400 bucks too. so for 2 grand ..cant beat it

2 Grand < Holly mother. . . . I can sell this car for 5k + in it's current state then take the other 2 and buy something nicer.

Are all the 4t65e's crap? Or is just in the Impala's?

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I hate to break it you, but there isn't a chance in hell you will get 5k for an 11 year old Impala with a bad transmission. Honestly, you'd be lucky to get 2500...

The 4t65e isn't exactly the pinnacle of automatic transmission reliability, especially when you throw added power or big wheels at it. I've got some funkiness going on with mine at the moment, but I think I'm going to have to have the dealer check it with a Tech 2 for me to diagnose it.

Dan wrote:

d
samson_420
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
I hate to break it you, but there isn't a chance in hell you will get 5k for an 11 year old Impala with a bad transmission. Honestly, you'd be lucky to get 2500...

The 4t65e isn't exactly the pinnacle of automatic transmission reliability, .

Round here these things sell faster then you can you would imagine. I listed it at 6,700 for 2 days and got a few offers(none that I wanted to take).

It's just tough. . . . This car is mint, it looks seriously brand new. Plus we just put tires on it. . . . . . I know I can get at least 5-55. . . . But, what better family machine can I get for 6,500?

Really, nice car - s**t drive train and window regulators.

[quote="IffyG"

The 4t65e isn't exactly the pinnacle of automatic transmission reliability.[/quote]

Kinda figured, boat anchor turd.

MCO_Death
Guru
Guru

1994 GMC Sierra
2006 Dodge Charger
1995 Buick Regal
2012 Dodge Charger

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I just glanced through my local CL and found over 2 dozen 2000-2004 Impala's that wern't even 4,000 let alone 5,000 dollars. Laughing

If someone is stupid enough to give you 5k for a 2000 with a bad tranny, hand it off to them ASAP.

That's your best friend.
samson_420
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

MCO_Death wrote:
I just glanced through my local CL and found over 2 dozen 2000-2004 Impala's that wern't even 4,000 let alone 5,000 dollars. Laughing

If someone is stupid enough to give you 5k for a 2000 with a bad tranny, hand it off to them ASAP.

You think so? What car would I get? I need a four door full size car. . .

Just looked through the Impalas around here. . . . A few with almost 200k going for over 3 Grand. . . . . Don't ask me what the hell people are thinking.

Look at [URL="http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/2366412924.html"]this[/URL] alone. . . . Don't ask, I just see it and know what I can sell what for around here.

overlordspock
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.14

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Silverado
2008 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Malibu
2009 Pontiac G8
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

samson_420 wrote:

Look at this alone. . . . Don't ask, I just see it and know what I can sell what for around here.

People can ask whatever they want for a car. It's what people are willing to pay that matters. When I looked at that particular ad, I laughed when I saw the price. Almost $8,000 for a base '04 (no matter the options) with 63,000 miles is just not going to happen. Anyone that pays that (and, I suppose there will always be SOMEONE), has not done their research.

Go ahead and ask for what you want to ask for your car with the bad tranny. Seriously. If you get $5,000 for it, then I will congratulate you. I just really don't think it'll happen.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, Kooks LTs w/ Cats, Corsa Catback, RotoFab CAI, HomeLink
2014 Impala 2LT - Black, No Mods
2008 Silverado LTZ Z71 - Black, Extended Cab, Spray-on Bedliner
2008 Impala SS - Precision Red, Magnaflow, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Overkill Tune, Front/Rear STBs w/ Don Rome Brackets SOLD
2005 Impala LS - Summit White, Front/Rear STBs w/ Don Rome Brackets, BBE Monte SS Cluster SOLD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: