NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Finding junked cars.
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Finding junked cars.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.92

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject:  Finding junked cars. Reply with quote

Me and a buddy (mechanic) are looking at making some extra money over summer. We are thinking about looking for an impala, grand prix, monte carlo, etc. (since thats our most familiar area) with either a bad engine or trans, or both. The plan is to replace engine/trans and sell for profit.

I would prefer not to deal with a lot of body work, but a cracked bumper or something like that is no big deal. I would rather stick to replacing an engine or trans or rebuilding them.

I have found a couple decent deals (01 grand prix w bad trans, bumpers, fuel lvl sensor and few minor problems for 800..prolly be able to talk him down to 700 or 650) but I am having a hard time finding deals like these...

anybody with experience know good places to look?

NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.54

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

since you're in Chicago, Im guessing you would have places like I have locally. Local supermarkets, drug stores, etc will usually have FREE car for sale books by the door. In them you will likely find places that sell "repairable" cars / trucks.

I know there are a few places here that sell them, so figuring a large metro area like Chicago would have the same.

Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Ya, now that you mention it thats a good place to look. I used to work at a grocery store back in high school that has some of those local auto magazine type things, I'll have to grab on this weekend and start looking.

Looked at them before, never knew they had that section though. Thanks for the tip ill check em out

Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.52

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

00impala123 wrote:
Ya, now that you mention it thats a good place to look. I used to work at a grocery store back in high school that has some of those local auto magazine type things, I'll have to grab on this weekend and start looking.

Looked at them before, never knew they had that section though. Thanks for the tip ill check em out

Not all of them do. Around here the Com Equipment + RV ones usually do and the ones that include all vehicle types do.

sumdude
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.5

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Cadillac STS
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Copart.com is the way to go buddy. A friend of mines does exactly what your thinking and gets a majority of his cars from this website as well as craigslist.

SuperCharged 9c1 | Tuned | SD Headers
Next time you get pulled over and you know you have illegal tint Follow these instructions: Tie a string around your power window fuse, and after you roll down your drivers window yank the fuse, which will render your windows inoperable. They can't test the film if the meter can't fit over it.
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Craigslist is your best friend when it comes to this type of stuff.

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

craigslist is where i found this grand prix..there isnt a ton of them on there though. I only found a few cars in our price range, and some needed way to much work to them (lots of rust, plus not running, etc.)

Ill try these suggestions and post my results with what I find in each. Thanks for the tips guys

Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:52 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I looked on Chicago craigslist for a coupe min and found a few grand prix. I must say, holy @#$% there's a ton more w-body stuff than I can find locally, I if lived there I'd already have a set of rims!

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Aha ya theres a lot. Most people are asking like 3 grand.. I dont want to spend more than a grand if it needs a lot of work so theres enough room for profit. Especially since we are splitting between 2 guys

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.23

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Ford Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you were in NEO I'd consider 2,000. for "him." Confused

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Best way i've found to buy cheap parts cars/project cars is to drive around and ask.
The last buy/sell project I bought I got off craigslist for $300.
Guy wanted $500,but it wouldn't start when I arrived (bad battery).

Before that I bought a grand prix turbo for $50,saw the people moving so stopped and asked what they were doing with the car.
Turned out to be a sore spot with momma,she just wanted it gone.
(pulled it to house,put gas in and changed tire-drove into shop)

I have a buddy that just goes driving around all the time,and stops and asks people constantly if they want to sell old parked cars.
He's very successful,hardest part is finding actual owner of car/field/house/barn.

I also got a couple of my parts vehicles from friends in trade for work.
Got an 86 fiero free,and a 95 villager van free just for doing some light work on a couple peoples vehicles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: