NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Replacing Stock Interior LED's above back seat?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Replacing Stock Interior LED's above back seat?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Interior & Exterior MODs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nkcracer

Posts per day: 0.02

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject:  Replacing Stock Interior LED's above back seat? Reply with quote

First post after lurking for months!

Is there any way to remove the plastic cover in the rear convenience lights to replace the bulb? I have green in the map lights, blue under the dash, and I'd like to put one of those colors in both the rear lights just behind the driver and passenger seat on the roof. Thanks!
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.94

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

From what I can remember there's a tab on one side of the lenses you compress ( I used a small screwdriver) to pop them out.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
nkcracer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
From what I can remember there's a tab on one side of the lenses you compress ( I used a small screwdriver) to pop them out.

I think I see the tab you are talking about. Is it like this? (the tab being the "[")

It goes pretty deep in there. Do I just use a reeeally tiny screwdriver and press it towards the middle of the lense? (I feel stupid haha)

Oh, and thanks for the Uber quick response!
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

nkcracer wrote:
PushrodPower wrote:

I think I see the tab you are talking about. Is it like this? (the tab being the "[")

It goes pretty deep in there. Do I just use a reeeally tiny screwdriver and press it towards the middle of the lense? (I feel stupid haha)

No big deal. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

The fancy arrow is pointing toward the tab. Just stick a small screwdriver in and pull out.

04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
BlackVenom
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.52

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yep, do as above. Superbrightleds.com and v-leds.com are good sites for 194 replacements.

billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.64

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I found it easier to just take off the entire handle...only two screws, and you don't have to worry about snapping the light cover in half if you push too hard...lol
OnlyGodCanJudgeMe
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

x2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
nkcracer wrote:
PushrodPower wrote:

No big deal. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

The fancy arrow is pointing toward the tab. Just stick a small screwdriver in and pull out.

Awesome, thanks for the pic! I got all of my LEDs replaced with green. I'll post pics when it gets dark today or tomorrow!
NapT0wnRider317
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.04

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

wahtever happend to the pics?? i had them in mine. untill they burned out about 2 months later, just went to silverstars
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

NapT0wnRider317 wrote:
wahtever happend to the pics?? i had them in mine. untill they burned out about 2 months later, just went to silverstars

I used Silverstars too at first. Too bright and they didn't fit too well, so I switched to LEDs. DO NOT put the Silverstars in your rearview mirror map lights. I had too buy a whole new rearview after I did. Sad

04ImpalaSS wrote:

wedebrook wrote:

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.64

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
NapT0wnRider317 wrote:

I used Silverstars too at first. Too bright and they didn't fit too well, so I switched to LEDs. DO NOT put the Silverstars in your rearview mirror map lights. I had too buy a whole new rearview after I did. Sad

Seriously??? What the hell did it do to it?

PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:
PushrodPower wrote:
NapT0wnRider317 wrote:

Seriously??? What the hell did it do to it?

It melted the silver bowls on the inside and melted the lenses. So I just bought a new one on E-bay for cheap. I wanted a new rearview anyway because the old one had fine scratches on it.

04ImpalaSS wrote:

wedebrook wrote:

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
NapT0wnRider317
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.04

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
NapT0wnRider317 wrote:

They should fit perfect.. the light ficture holds a 194 as in all of the interior lights.. so instead of just like the regular 194 any brands, silverstar does make a nice not so bright for the 194..
so the fitting is the exact same as any other 194, i had the leds, but they burn out to quick. idk if its because of cheap brand or because its pulling to much power for such a small bulb, idk.. but i usually dont recommend silverstar products but the 194 does the job lol. and everybody comments on them. and asks about them.

And if u want a easier way to change them bulbs out, the best way is get u a star driver.. (thats the screws that should be in the ficture) pop the 2 clips and unscrew the 2 screws.. the whole ficture will come out, take off the wire harness and it makes it much easier to replace the bulbs.. the actual bulb housing will come out of the plastic light ficture.. then pop it all back into place and ul b good to go.. trying to get them bulbs out with that housing still screwed in makes it much more hard and frustrating.

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

LEDs use hardly any power. I just used the SilverStars from Autozone. My friends commented they were too bright and they blinded me as well so I traded them for LEDs I got off Superbrightleds.com.

04ImpalaSS wrote:

wedebrook wrote:

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Interior & Exterior MODs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: