NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Stalling
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Stalling
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Killr68
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.08

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject:  Stalling Reply with quote

I have had a problem for the past several months with my car stalling out on me. Since I hadn't replaced my plugs and wires in a while, I figured that was the cause of the problem. Since replacing the wires, it has stalled less often. It used to stall out whenever it rained. Now I have noticed that it stalls out whenever I give it a lot of gas coming from a stop. If I give it just a little gas to get rolling then punch it, I have no problems. I finally got the tool I was missing to replace the plugs, but this seems a bit more consistent than a misfiring plug. That and I noticed tonight that my exhaust smells like coolant. Any suggestions?
Killr68
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

well, i still haven't resolved the problem, but there are a few things i'd like to try. i just realized that i put bosch wires on it, and i'm pretty sure that the replacement plugs that i have yet to put on are bosch as well. i have tomorrow afternoon free and i'm going to try to put in some new non-bosch plugs and wires.
chibiblacksheep
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.48

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Definitely switch out the Bosch, that was going to be my first question.

Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.54

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject:  Re: Stalling Reply with quote

Killr68 wrote:
I have had a problem for the past several months with my car stalling out on me. Since I hadn't replaced my plugs and wires in a while, I figured that was the cause of the problem. Since replacing the wires, it has stalled less often. It used to stall out whenever it rained. Now I have noticed that it stalls out whenever I give it a lot of gas coming from a stop. If I give it just a little gas to get rolling then punch it, I have no problems. I finally got the tool I was missing to replace the plugs, but this seems a bit more consistent than a misfiring plug. That and I noticed tonight that my exhaust smells like coolant. Any suggestions?

When my cat was clogged my car would stall under an attempted WOT or otherwise heavy acceleration. And if your exhaust smells funny, it could be pointing to the cat, again. I believe the smell is sulfuric or kinda like eggs.. Also, anything other than direct replacements for wires & plugs can lead to problems.

SilverStar
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.11

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You may want to check you MAF as well.

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.22

2008 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject:  Re: Stalling Reply with quote

Killr68 wrote:

Ford has this part called a Throttle Position Sensor...not sure what's it called on an Imp, but when that thing goes bad, it gives the same problem.

Killr68
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I checked the MAF when I first got the problem, it wouldn't run with or without it. I finally swapped out the plugs today. Looking at them and talking to my dad, we realized that they haven't been replaced in about 3 years. They were in very bad shape. I guess the wires disintegrating into my hands should have been a clue. I spent a few hours today trying to get it to stall out again, and it hasn't. I think I may have resolved that. Although, I definitely need to log when I maintain this car. Laughing
Killr68
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The problem went away for a couple weeks with new plugs and wires, but its back and just as severe as before. Just finished finals and went to leave campus and head home. I managed to get about a foot. First time it stalled in reverse. Laughing

I'm going to try to get a replacement CPS for it tonight or tomorrow. Where exactly on the engine is it?
Killr68
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

well, I've replaced the FPR. I have a replacement CPS, but haven't been able to get to it. On the way home tonight it stalled a few times. The last time, when I finally got it restarted it couldn't find idle. It might be because I unplugged the MAF, but I had to really punch it to get any momentum. It sounded like it was going to cut out otherwise. Is that really the CPS? Or would that be the Idle control or throttle body needing cleaned.
Killr68
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I finally got to the point where I was frustrated enough to visit the dealer. Stalled out the turn right before. Laughing They had it for most of the morning and couldn't find anything wrong. The wanted to hold onto it for a day or two to try to duplicate the stalling. Since then it has been stalling rather regularly. I spent a good part of the afternoon at Autozone pulling off parts and having them checked. Everything passes. I'll be dropping it off at the dealer monday so they can test as much as they want. I just hope they're not as severe as Glados.

Edit: The guys at Autozone suggested it might be the computer. How often does a PCM go bad?
BlackVenom
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.54

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Killr68 wrote:
The guys at Autozone suggested it might be the computer. How often does a PCM go bad?

IffyG wrote:
The PCMs on these cars hardly ever go bad

And the dealer probably checked the pcm.

Killr68
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

yeah, I finally managed to drop it off so they could work on it for a couple days. I got it back Thursday and they had replaced the Ignition Control Module. Then Friday afternoon it stalled on my way to work and Saturday it stalled on my way back. This time it'll start back up no problem. I'm going to assume CPS at this point, probably in conjunction with the Ignition control. This afternoon though, I finally managed to get up the nerve to clean up the throttle body. When I was reinstalling it, I noticed that the backside of my engine is covered in some fluid. It looks like coolant, but its on the drivers side toward the rear. Could my LIM gaskets be leaking already? I just replaced them last year. Rolling Eyes
Killr68
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I love my car, but this is really getting irritating. She's still stalling, although I think I've got a better idea of its symptoms. The stalling only happens when I'm pressing the gas and traveling under 45 mph. I've noticed the same problem a couple times at 60, but she sorted herself out and I was able to drive on. The engine has to warm up a bit before she'll stall as well. I've replaced the ICM and FPR, the MAF has been cleaned and the problem exists with or without the MAF, and I've replaced the plugs and wires. I just got the PRJs. Any ideas?
Killr68
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The car still shuts off, but only when it gets to the operating temp...one notch below the middle on the gauge. Once it reaches that point, the car runs fine. Runs fine up till that point, then no sputtering or anything, just off. Although when it went on me this morning, I still had the gas pedal pretty far down from a stoplight. She held at the rpm's I was holding the throttle at, but there was no power behind it and as soon as I let off I coasted off the road. New MAF, FPR, ICM, LIM gasket, UIM gasket, Thermostat gasket, PRJ plug wires, IAC, Throttle Body gasket.......any ideas? any at all... Mad
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 3.63

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Have you checked the crankshaft position sensor?

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: