NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Wheel hubs for 2002 Impala
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Wheel hubs for 2002 Impala
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plano-doug

Posts per day: 0.01

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject:  Wheel hubs for 2002 Impala Reply with quote

Reading the forum, it looks like the best bet for replacement front wheel hubs for my 2002 Impala is either Timken or GMParts. Given the price diff, the Timken seems like the best bet. But I have one question - the only Timken unit offered - p/n 513179 - includes the ABS pickup, whereas my car has no ABS.

My instincts are that this doesn't matter.

My experience is that it's easy to get burned by trusting your instincts alone Smile

So, will the ABS hub work on a non-ABS car? Or is there another unit I need to order? Thanks.

Doug

di11avou
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.04

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1988 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The GM hubs seem to be the best. If you're going with aftermarket pieces, it's best to stick reputable names like Timken or SKF.

I found a Timken hub without ABS listed on Autozone's website so they do make them.

I honestly don't know if an ABS hub will work on a non-ABS car. I would assume it would, but you know what they say about assumptions.
edd70805
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

you can use the abs hub on your car if you dont have abs. it works fine
Chamber

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You've probably already replaced your hub, but if not, I just discovered that Timken does have a non-ABS hub for the rear - part # 512221. I found it at: http://www.usautoparts.net/cat.....+1588+7076

Last edited by Chamber on Mon May 02, 2011 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
DennisW
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Chamber wrote:
You've probably already replaced your hub, but if not, I just discovered that Timken does have a non-ABS hub for the rear - part # 513160. I found it at: http://www.usautoparts.net/cat.....+1588+7076

Kinda strange that the non-ABS rear hub is only 9 cents cheaper than the ABS hub. Confused2 Confused2
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.64

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I've had ABS hubs on my non-ABS car for almost 4 years, the only difference is the plug on the back of it. Its identical otherwise.

I just replaced my rear hubs with the Timkens, they are NICE Very Happy Quited some rumbling and tightened up the rear end a bit, my right hub was pretty damn shot. Mad

I ordered mine from Rockauto.com, both hubs were about $150 shipped.

DennisW wrote:
Chamber wrote:
You've probably already replaced your hub, but if not, I just discovered that Timken does have a non-ABS hub for the rear - part # 513160. I found it at: http://www.usautoparts.net/cat.....+1588+7076

Kinda strange that the non-ABS rear hub is only 9 cents cheaper than the ABS hub. Confused2 Confused2

I've usually seen the non-ABS hub costing much more, even though it lacks the internal sensor wiring. Guess its just economies of scale, while only the base Impala lacked ABS, every other w-body had ABS standard, so there is quite the market for ABS hubs!

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ralph04

Posts per day: 0

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject:  NON-ABS Hub for 2002 Reply with quote

The non-ABS Hub is a Timken 513160. You can confirm by going to the www.timken.com web site and downloading the Automotive Aftermarket Part Catalog, looking at Page 58.
plano-doug

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

edd70805 wrote:
you can use the abs hub on your car if you dont have abs. it works fine
Thanks. I figured that, but it never hurts to ask Smile

Ralph04 wrote:
The non-ABS Hub is a Timken 513160. You can confirm by going to the www.timken.com web site and downloading the Automotive Aftermarket Part Catalog, looking at Page 58.

I found that, but thanks anyway. I appreciate the reply.

The catalog is indeed very helpful.

BTW, I put the 513160's on my daughter's 2002 Impala recently.

MISHNAH wrote:
I've usually seen the non-ABS hub costing much more, even though it lacks the internal sensor wiring. Guess its just economies of scale...

Yeah, that was my take, too.

Doug

Morest39

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject:  bearing hub bolts and axle nut Reply with quote

I've watched a lot of utube videos on changing the bearings,but while reading my Helm manual on tje subject, they say that the 3 hub bolts and the axle nut must be changed too, I guess like the torque stretch head bolts??? Is this really true? Thnaks
plano-doug

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject:  Re: bearing hub bolts and axle nut Reply with quote

Morest39 wrote:
...they say that the 3 hub bolts and the axle nut must be changed too, I guess like the torque stretch head bolts??? Is this really true?

I'm not sure exactly why it's mandated, but my Haynes manual states the manufacturer calls for it.

Given the "Jesus nut" nature of these parts - they hold the wheels on the car - I dutifully went to the dealer and picked up replacements.

I've heard of others who didn't replace these parts, and have not had any problems. But I figure GM has some test data that indicates a greater likelihood of the parts failing if reused.

Doug

Ralph04

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject:  Wheel Hub Bolts Reply with quote

For the these three bolts, anyone have the torque values ? The axle nut id 159 ftlbs per Timken
Chamber

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I've re-used the original bolts on 2 hubs that I have replaced, with no problems. I used the red Locktite (high strength) on them (cleaned the bolts and the holes with brake cleaner to remove any grease, so the Locktite could make a strong bond).
plano-doug

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject:  Re: Wheel Hub Bolts Reply with quote

Ralph04 wrote:
For the these three bolts, anyone have the torque values ? The axle nut id 159 ftlbs per Timken

96 foot pounds, per the Haynes manual.

Doug

Ralph04

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject:  2004 Hub and Caliper / Cradel Bolt Torque Values Reply with quote

Doug : Thanks for the info on the Hub bolts per Haynes manual. Would you also have the torque for the two caliper (slider) pin bolts and the two Caliper Cradle bolts that mount the combined cradle/caliper to the steering knuckle ? Thanks .
plano-doug

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject:  Re: 2004 Hub and Caliper / Cradel Bolt Torque Values Reply with quote

Ralph04 wrote:
Doug : Thanks for the info on the Hub bolts per Haynes manual. Would you also have the torque for the two caliper (slider) pin bolts and the two Caliper Cradle bolts that mount the combined cradle/caliper to the steering knuckle ? Thanks .

For 2001 and later:

Slider bolts:
Front: 70 ft-lb
Rear: 32

Bracket to knuckle bolts:
Front: 133 to 148
Rear: 81

On the front bracket bolts, ya just about feel like you're gonna twist 'em off Smile

Doug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: