NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account
 

  
NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 01 Impala needs some TLC..
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

01 Impala needs some TLC..
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Fantastic420
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: Apr 05, 2011
Posts: 22
Posts per day: 0.01
Location: Columbus, OH


PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject:  01 Impala needs some TLC.. Reply with quote

I picked up this 01 impala for a daily driver the other day. It's getting better every time I get my hands on it. The motor and transmission themselves are good to go, just needs some tlc where the previous owner(s) didn't much of care for it.

I am the third owner. First owner had it til 58k, second owner til 93k, I got my hands on it now!

What if I replaced/fixed:

-Muffler resonator welded/fixed. $60
-NGK plugs and Duralast wires. $45
-New front wheel bearings $80
-Bosch DOWN oxygen sensor $73
-Bosch UP oxygen sensor $68
-Lubricate ISS clunk $5
-New air filter $8

I had 4 (Misfire, P0171, P0420, Coolant may be low/thermostat/sensor) CEL lights and now I am down to a single code. P420- Fuel efficiency but all went away as I'm always working on the car except for P0420 code. Motor will be fully tuned when I finish PCV valve, fuel filter. I also dumped Seafoam cleaner with a 52$ fill up of Premium gas and pushed it a few times.. I have a few gallons left and I only drove 205 miles on the Trip meter.

I replaced both sensors, some tune up, etc.. I called a Chevy dealer and made an appointment for next week for a catalytic converter replace with no charge.

They can replace it no problem but he told me it was fixed previously a couple times and we'll have to figure out whats making them go bad. So they'll diagnose it and fix the converter if it's that. Otherwise, if it's not the converter, I'll end up paying 80-90$ for the Diagnose.

I don't have much experience with GM other then researching all the time which is what I do but I need some help on a forum. Thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator


Joined: Jun 01, 2005
Posts: 9496
Posts per day: 2.1
Location: NJ

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle


PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Replace both your O2 sensors with AC/Delco (or Denso) ones as the PCM in these cars don't work well w/ Bosch units (as you are finding out)

Then replace your plugs and wires w/ Delco ones as the PCM and ignition system are fussy about what plugs and wires you use

I'd be willing to be that with new O2 sensors your P0420 goes away (assuming you didn't poison the cat already w/ the current plugs/wires/sensors)

BBEngineer

_________________

Decisions...Decisions...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Fantastic420
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: Apr 05, 2011
Posts: 22
Posts per day: 0.01
Location: Columbus, OH


PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Next issue is my power steering line leak. I have hose clamped for now so I can use it til I replace the actual line itself. Its the one that goes to the steering box to under the PS Reservoir. I bought a 01 Impala 3.8 power steering pressure line from Autozone made by Duralast but it was the wrong one.

I'm not sure if its the return or pressure line that I do need but I dont think its the pressure line.

When under the car, having the down pipe removed, There are 2 lines, the one on the top is the bad leaking one. Somehow, the downpipe got the line to leak. Too hot or scraped it or something? It's a tiny leak but its a leak and I have PS fluid everywhere. Anyone know which hose and where to buy it from? Thanks a ton!

bbengineer wrote:
Replace both your O2 sensors with AC/Delco (or Denso) ones as the PCM in these cars don't work well w/ Bosch units (as you are finding out)

Then replace your plugs and wires w/ Delco ones as the PCM and ignition system are fussy about what plugs and wires you use

I'd be willing to be that with new O2 sensors your P0420 goes away (assuming you didn't poison the cat already w/ the current plugs/wires/sensors)

BBEngineer


They are brand new sensors. How do I get 14-15, 16 mpg at the most? I dont think putting AC Delco products will increase to 21-22 mpg..


As far as the wires and plugs, the misfire in cylinder 4 went away along with P0171 code when I replaced plugs and wires to Duralast wires and NGK plugs.. big difference Ive felt..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator


Joined: Jun 01, 2005
Posts: 9496
Posts per day: 2.1
Location: NJ

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle


PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Fantastic420 wrote:

They are brand new sensors. How do I get 14-15, 16 mpg at the most? I dont think putting AC Delco products will increase to 21-22 mpg..


As far as the wires and plugs, the misfire in cylinder 4 went away along with P0171 code when I replaced plugs and wires to Duralast wires and NGK plugs.. big difference Ive felt..


It doesn't matter if the sensors are brand new... the PCM doesn't like Bosch sensors and they cause the car to run like crap... same with the plugs and wires... it's pretty well established knowledge

BBEngineer

_________________

Decisions...Decisions...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Fantastic420
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: Apr 05, 2011
Posts: 22
Posts per day: 0.01
Location: Columbus, OH


PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bbengineer wrote:
Fantastic420 wrote:

They are brand new sensors. How do I get 14-15, 16 mpg at the most? I dont think putting AC Delco products will increase to 21-22 mpg..


As far as the wires and plugs, the misfire in cylinder 4 went away along with P0171 code when I replaced plugs and wires to Duralast wires and NGK plugs.. big difference Ive felt..


It doesn't matter if the sensors are brand new... the PCM doesn't like Bosch sensors and they cause the car to run like crap... same with the plugs and wires... it's pretty well established knowledge

BBEngineer


I found some Denso sensors on ebay for decent prices.. I still have warranty on my boschs, so I might be able to return them (I just got them).. The thng is, my car is going the dealer on Monday. I usually never do this but I need them to check it for me to see if I need a converter or not.. I think I do.

My gas drops often when I drive, its not normal. Its not a reading problem. Im just running too rich..


---


Do you know what power steering line that is on top of another one right under the down pipe. all metal line from steering box to reservoir, no hose or anything..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator


Joined: Jun 01, 2005
Posts: 9496
Posts per day: 2.1
Location: NJ

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle


PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You are running too rich because of the Bosch O2 sensor.... swap the sensors and I can almost guarantee your gas mileage will come way up and your P0420 will go away

You will also do much better with the correct Delco plugs and wires...

No idea on the PS line... someone else will chime in

BBEngineer

_________________

Decisions...Decisions...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Fantastic420
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: Apr 05, 2011
Posts: 22
Posts per day: 0.01
Location: Columbus, OH


PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bbengineer wrote:
You are running too rich because of the Bosch O2 sensor.... swap the sensors and I can almost guarantee your gas mileage will come way up and your P0420 will go away

You will also do much better with the correct Delco plugs and wires...

No idea on the PS line... someone else will chime in

BBEngineer


Thanks!

You wouldn't think its the converter before the sensors? When I looked at the two old sensors, they looked old and in need of replacing..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator


Joined: Jun 01, 2005
Posts: 9496
Posts per day: 2.1
Location: NJ

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle


PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

They may have needed replacing, but you replaced them with sensors that SUCK on GM vehicles (it's not just the Impala... the C5 Vette hates the Bosch sensors as well)...

You are going to get crappy gas mileage and other emissions issues running those sensors

BBEngineer

EDIT: http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....mp;t=32953

_________________

Decisions...Decisions...


Last edited by bbengineer on Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Fantastic420
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: Apr 05, 2011
Posts: 22
Posts per day: 0.01
Location: Columbus, OH


PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bbengineer wrote:
They may have needed replacing, but you replaced them with sensors that SUCK on GM vehicles (it's not just the Impala... the C5 Vette hates the Bosch sensors as well)...

You are going to get crappy gas mileage and other emissions issues running those sensors

BBEngineer


You seem to be very right and very good sense making.

However, bad oxygen sensors may converters go bad or is it the other way around?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator


Joined: Jun 01, 2005
Posts: 9496
Posts per day: 2.1
Location: NJ

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle


PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The PCM tells if the converter is bad by reading the O2 sensors and comparing values (differential) ... if your O2 sensors are giving bad readings (or what the PCM interprets as bad readings), how can the PCM really tell what's going on with the cat?

Until you swap sensors, your P0420 code is meaningless

BBEngineer

_________________

Decisions...Decisions...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Fantastic420
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: Apr 05, 2011
Posts: 22
Posts per day: 0.01
Location: Columbus, OH


PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The dealer told me if he diagnose the car and it's not the converter that needs replaced, I am going to be charged $85 for the diagnose.

Should I stall on the dealer service and replace the sensors first? Then, if my light still comes on, it will most likely be the converter, correct?


I appreciate the time you took to respond, bbengineer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Jayme
Dedicated
Dedicated


Joined: Jan 15, 2007
Posts: 379
Posts per day: 0.1
Location: West Chicago, IL

2000 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Fantastic420 wrote:
Should I stall on the dealer service and replace the sensors first? Then, if my light still comes on, it will most likely be the converter, correct?


Yes.

The code may take several drive cycles to go away, however. The PCM needs to see the correct differential between upstream and downstream sensors for a while to clear the code.

_________________


Start them out right...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fantastic420
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: Apr 05, 2011
Posts: 22
Posts per day: 0.01
Location: Columbus, OH


PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Will do.


Last edited by Fantastic420 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
billy101
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Sep 12, 2010
Posts: 1704
Posts per day: 0.66
Location: Willow Spring, NC

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Check out rockauto.com I just went on there and they have the Denso upstream and downstream sensors for $34, and $38. Or you could go AC Delco for $55(upstream), $62(downstream).

I personally would spend the extra money for the AC delco part as I've never put any other brand part in my car and have never had the same problem again...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fantastic420
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: Apr 05, 2011
Posts: 22
Posts per day: 0.01
Location: Columbus, OH


PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:
Check out rockauto.com I just went on there and they have the Denso upstream and downstream sensors for $34, and $38. Or you could go AC Delco for $55(upstream), $62(downstream).

I personally would spend the extra money for the AC delco part as I've never put any other brand part in my car and have never had the same problem again...


I would but lack of funds at the moment. I'm going with Denso for both sensors, about 80$ shipped.

On Rockauto.com, I found some AC/Delco products. AC/Delco Iridium spark plugs for $5.45 each, are those fine? Also, 26$ AC/Delco spark plugs wire set good enough or get the $45 set? Both were AC/Delco..

For the power steering issue. I'm not sure what the line would be called but it goes from the steering box to the reservoir. Both ends of the line have thread fittings, no hose clamps and no rubber hoses intact on the line, all metal. I can't seem to track it down...


Last edited by Fantastic420 on Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Forums ©
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. Comments and posts are property of the poster. All other content is © 2008 by the NAIOA.


Use of this site constitutes agreement with the NAIOA Terms of Service (TOS)


PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
Server Local Time: October 19, 2017, 8:34:50 pm
Page Generation: 0.17 Seconds ( SQL 45:138 in 0.02 Seconds )