NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - New Project!!
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

New Project!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.52

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: Oh yes ! New Project!! Reply with quote

Got me a new project today! Don't know why I haven't done anything about it before but it was right under my nose the entire time. It's my g/f's family's car that hasn't been running in awhile.

2001 Impala LS with options I'm deprived of in my base: DIC, traction control, fogs, buckets, spoiler, alloys, and the 3800.

So it's been sitting for 2 years because they took it to numerous mechanics and couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. All I know is that a while before it stopped running it would shut off on its own while driving every once in a while. I went out and looked at it today. Switched the battery from by car into it. Keep in mind it has not been started in over 2 years. I turned the key, radio worked and everything. Then turned to start it and it just clicked once. Tried a couple more times and same result. Then tried but held it for a few seconds and it started!! Now that it starts, there's other problems to address that weren't there before.

After it started, it was pouring out white smoke, and there was also a tad bit of white milky sfuff in the oil, tell tale signs of coolant in the oil, and most likely lim gaskets shot. However, beings that its been sitting for so long, do you think this is the case? The oil level wasn't low, it was actually too much it looked like, gas I'm sure isn't the best at all, and coolant, I have no idea. The smoke smelled pretty bad, kinda a mix of firework smoke and cigarrette smoke actually. Any ideas on what I should do now? Draining the fuel and changing the oil isnt a problem but what are your thoughts on the issue? Here's some pics of the new whip lol

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
habermehl
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.51

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

nice grab ive been on the hunt for an "ls" for a while lol f**ker ................thats what my headlights look like Crying or Very sad .... til tonight!

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:
how do the dealer's expect us to get the cars there if they don 't run at all?

Tow Truck?
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Which lights mine or the ls? Mine fog up pretty bad. The ls's had both headlights entirely full of water. I drained it, and now all that crap you see is mostly on the inside, although I'm sure it'd help to clean the outside but it'd just be pointless on them. I figured I'll just put mine on it when I get new housings and maybe try to run some silicone on them too.

It's got some other things need done, broken windshield, lock on driver's door is broken, the tint is old and crappy looking, but overall I just wanna get it running good first.

2002 Impala- SSC, AGX, 18" charger R/t rims w/8mm spacers, Magnaflow cat, U-bend delete, flowmaster 80 series crossflow, z28 tips, HAI, debadged, 35% tint, smoked headlights, full sound system
Dan
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.31

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

SS decals? Not cool.

barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
SS decals? Not cool.

Ya I did that a LONG time ago. I don't really like it either but never took them off b/c I don't know how well they will actually come off, and how faded it will look. But, I do love the stripe Laughing

habermehl
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.51

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

barnettimpala wrote:
Dan wrote:
SS decals? Not cool.

Ya I did that a LONG time ago. I don't really like it either but never took them off b/c I don't know how well they will actually come off, and how faded it will look. But, I do love the stripe Laughing

goo gone......

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:
how do the dealer's expect us to get the cars there if they don 't run at all?

Tow Truck?
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

habermehl wrote:
barnettimpala wrote:
Dan wrote:
SS decals? Not cool.

goo gone......

I've actually been looking at lsx emblems for awhile but I want them in chrome but can't find them in anything but red.

ad0726
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.36

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Malibu
1983 Datsun Patrol
2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You should drain the old gas, and change the oil,

Quote:
it would shut off on its own while driving every once in a while

I'm sure is the crankshaft position sensor
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.54

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

barnettimpala wrote:
habermehl wrote:
barnettimpala wrote:
Dan wrote:
SS decals? Not cool.

goo gone......

I've actually been looking at lsx emblems for awhile but I want them in chrome but can't find them in anything but red.

thats because they only came in red

Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.47

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1986 Nissan 300ZX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pitch Black SS wrote:
barnettimpala wrote:
habermehl wrote:
barnettimpala wrote:
Dan wrote:
SS decals? Not cool.

goo gone......

Laughing

Audio: Kicker 1000.1zx, Kicker 12" L5 x2, Kicker 350.4, Pioneer TSD1602R x2, JVC xg-700, custom tuned box 33.8hz
Performance - lead foot in my 3.4L is all I have
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pitch Black SS wrote:
barnettimpala wrote:
habermehl wrote:
barnettimpala wrote:
Dan wrote:
SS decals? Not cool.

goo gone......

I know they only came in red but ppl sell aftermarket different colored emblems, so far no luck on the impala lsx tho which isn't a suprise.

Now back to the engine problem. What do you think? I'll drain the gas tomorrow. Where should I do that from?

EDIT: Main concern is, is it safe to run it with it smoking like that? I'm afraid I'm gonna make something worse by running it, but the only way I can try to fix it involves it running.

SilverStar
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.11

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Might be wrong on this one but white smoke is often either coolant or oil, no? Drain oil and refill. Drain coolant and refill. Run for a few minutes.

Take out a spark plug. If it's covered in oil, either it's your head gasket or it's your valve seal. Good luck with everything.

Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

SilverStar wrote:
Might be wrong on this one but white smoke is often either coolant or oil, no? Drain oil and refill. Drain coolant and refill. Run for a few minutes.

Take out a spark plug. If it's covered in oil, either it's your head gasket or it's your valve seal. Good luck with everything.

Its definately not oil, I know the look and smell of that. Pretty sure its coolant, smells pretty bad. Friend of mine suggested maybe head gasket. Not really sure about draining the coolant because it wouldnt be running, so can I just drain it and fill it back up instead of flushing? Oil also is less than ideal when not running but that's not a problem.

I chose to work on this car because I knew I could get the help I need on here. Thanks to everyone who has helped so far, and thanks in advance to those who help me in the future, as I plan on this project taking awhile and never done a lot of these kinds of things. Where should I drain the gas from? It's been several days since the initial start, but do you think I can still tell by pulling a plug? If so what am I looking for.

Frank4202
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.75

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1997 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Clean those headlight lenses!!!

Sold 28/10/11
barnettimpala
Member Level
Member Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank4202 wrote:
Clean those headlight lenses!!!

I'm a little more worried about it RUNNING lol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: