NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Update to loss of power/shifting Issues
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Update to loss of power/shifting Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scbesse

Posts per day: 0

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2008 Jeep Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject:  Update to loss of power/shifting Issues Reply with quote

Okay I have an 02 Impala LS, with 217,000 kms on it. I love this car and have since day one when I bought it. I am noticing a loss of power on the acceleration onto the highway. When I am on the hwy doing 120kmh my cars rpms have always been at 2100. The odd time now it will jump up to 2500rpm(on flat ground) and stay there for like a minute....then drop back to normal.

If i am on the highway doing a steady 120kph and go to pass someone and kick it down a little it revs to 3000rpm and barely gains any speed. If I put the pedal all the way down and she hits like 5000rpm it doesnt pick up at all!!!

I commute in my car everyday and I have been noticing it getting worse.

I have a knock sensor code, and Cam sensor code popping up..... Can this affect the performance at the highway speeds? I am really dreading taking this to the dealer.....thinking tourque converter in the back of my head ,

I have a Hypertech PP so I can pull the codes whenever if they would help. Thanks for the long read and any help is appreciated.

UPDATE!!!!!!

Car was getting worse, I took it to a shop to get the Tranny looked at and the guy suggested I get the engine code issues fixed before I jump to conclusions.

I drop the car off at a shop that my buddy likes, I get a call saying " I took it for a drive, and I want to disconnect the O2 sensor at the Cat, to test something but if it breaks its $150 to fix" so I authorize him to do it.

He calls back later and says" You need a new Cat Conv."
I Cry now........ the price is $600.

and this "Might" fix your problem but we have to start here.......I am thinking sure, replace the Cat Conv, soak me for $600 and my car is still F'd.

Low and behold it WAS the issue for power loss, and misbehaving RPM issues. He suggests I do a Tranny flush soon, and I am good to go!

I LOVE MY CAR!!!!!! This is the biggest thing I have had to do on the "Pimpala" it owes me nothing. Happy ending! Oh and he didn't break the O2 sensor lol

PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.94

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm glad you got it all worked out! Very Happy With a 135K on the tranny, I wouldn't do a flush. Just do a pan drop. Plus they're overpriced.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.

Last edited by PushrodPower on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Glad you got it fixed...

Next time, please update your original thread and don't create a one new

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Don't flush the transmission. Pan drop and fluid/filter change is what you're after.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
scbesse

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2008 Jeep Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bbengineer wrote:
Glad you got it fixed...

Next time, please update your original thread and don't create a one new

BBEngineer

Yeah sorry I thought I replied to my thread.......then realized i made a new one.....oooops

I was wondering about the flush thing, I heard that can be worse for tranny sometimes. So a pan drop and filter change it is!!!!! Thanks guys.

Baywing
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.06

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You might want to see if there was a reason the cat went. Is the engine burning oil?
scbesse

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2008 Jeep Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Baywing wrote:
You might want to see if there was a reason the cat went. Is the engine burning oil?

Not burning oil. I was running for a long time with misfire codes. totally my fault. Sent to much fuel, and clogged her up. The mechanic gave me shi@ for not fixing it when I should have Lol.

Baywing
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.06

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Just checking, you certainly don't want to burn out a new cat!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: