NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Changing the Gas Tank Level Sender
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Changing the Gas Tank Level Sender

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LSdriver
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject:  Changing the Gas Tank Level Sender Reply with quote

Hi folks

Ordered a new gas tank level sender and plan to install as per the directions found on http://impalahq.naioa.com/index2.html

Couple of questions on this step:

Prior to disconnecting the fuel pipes, remove the gas cap to relieve pressure in the tank. Then connect the Fuel Pressure Gauge Fitting (J 34730-262) to the fuel pressure connection. Connect Fuel Pressure Gauge (J 34730-1A) to that.

I understand that you need to relieve the pressure in the tank by removing the cap, but the next 2 steps about the fuel pressure gauge fitting and guage ..is this necessary? Will fuel spray out when removing the fuel pipes? If so how do I do this?

Could I possibly pull the fuel pump fuse and let the car stall out?

Also would it be necessary to replace the "O" ring on the fuel sending unit?
Doesn't mention it on the directions but don't want to get caught without one if it was needed.

Thanks
DennisW
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject:  Re: Changing the Gas Tank Level Sender Reply with quote

LSdriver wrote:
Hi folks

Ordered a new gas tank level sender and plan to install as per the directions found on http://impalahq.naioa.com/index2.html

Couple of questions on this step:

Prior to disconnecting the fuel pipes, remove the gas cap to relieve pressure in the tank. Then connect the Fuel Pressure Gauge Fitting (J 34730-262) to the fuel pressure connection. Connect Fuel Pressure Gauge (J 34730-1A) to that.

I understand that you need to relieve the pressure in the tank by removing the cap, but the next 2 steps about the fuel pressure gauge fitting and guage ..is this necessary? Will fuel spray out all over the trunk? If so how do I do this?

Also would it be necessary to replace the "O" ring on the fuel sending unit?
Doesn't mention it on the directions but don't want to get caught without one if it was needed.

Thanks

The object here is to relieve the pressure in the fuel line. Wrapping a rag around the fitting and pressing the center of the valve open with something like a small screwdriver will accomplish the same thing, and yes some fuel will spray out, thats why the rag.
I would recommend replacing the o ring if it looks at all worn or brittle. Its cheap insurance against a fuel leak and having to go back in and r&r the sender unit all over again just to replace the ring. much easier to do when its out the first time.
I've done this job, fairly simple thanks to the access panel in the trunk floor. Just make sure you have good ventelation, even to having some sort of fan blowing thru the trunk area to keep vapors from building up while you work. Be cautious of any possiblity of static electricity, obviously a spark would be disastrous.
LSdriver
Cadet
Cadet

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Where is the valve located?

And thanks for your help
DennisW
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

LSdriver wrote:
Where is the valve located?

And thanks for your help

easiest to get to is in the engine compartment. just follow the fuel lines, it should be somewhere on the fuel rail.

good luck
LSdriver
Cadet
Cadet

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

For an alternate method could I just pull the fuel pump relay fuse and let the car idle until it stalls?
DennisW
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

LSdriver wrote:
For an alternate method could I just pull the fuel pump relay fuse and let the car idle until it stalls?

never tried that one, you're on you own with that idea....
fastrunner08
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.16

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

honestly i would recommend against that idea. I would go with the relive valve. I'm no sure which engine you are doing it on, but i know for sure on the 3.4 there is a valve towards the acc. belt sliglty under the upper intake manifold. 3.8 is somewhere around there as well i believe, but i might be wrong on that one. another thing you could do though, is take of your fuel filter. That would relive pressure as well, and hey if you haven't changed it yet, you might wnat to? so theres an idea. Def nave a rag on it when you do though. You wouldn't wnat to get gasoline all over you.

DennisW
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

fastrunner08 wrote:
honestly i would recommend against that idea. I would go with the relive valve. I'm no sure which engine you are doing it on, but i know for sure on the 3.4 there is a valve towards the acc. belt sliglty under the upper intake manifold. 3.8 is somewhere around there as well i believe, but i might be wrong on that one. another thing you could do though, is take of your fuel filter. That would relive pressure as well, and hey if you haven't changed it yet, you might wnat to? so theres an idea. Def nave a rag on it when you do though. You wouldn't wnat to get gasoline all over you.

no matter where you open the line you're going to have pressure and some fuel spillage. personally i think its easier to do it at the valve on the fuel rail than crawl under the car to get to the filter.

its not that much fuel, a rag will contain it, and then on to the real job, the fuel sender......
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.97

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

LSdriver wrote:

This is what I did to relieve pressure when I changed my fuel filter. Worked fine. Didn't get no spray, but got some spillage.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
LSdriver
Cadet
Cadet

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

great input thanks
Jayme
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
LSdriver wrote:

This is what I did to relieve pressure when I changed my fuel filter. Worked fine. Didn't get no spray, but got some spillage.

Yep, I did that also, works great, very little mess that way.

Start them out right...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: