NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Why do you s'pose the Impala takes longer to warm up?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Why do you s'pose the Impala takes longer to warm up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.36

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject:  Why do you s'pose the Impala takes longer to warm up? Reply with quote

I don't feel that I'm getting the heat I should out of the ol' Impala. It will HEAT, but it takes a looong time to do so when it's cold, and when it does reach what I'm guessing is operating temp, I'll only see 110 or 120 out the vents max. The system was flushed in '09, so I don't really think it would be a heater core (I hope not at least). Where should my temp gauge needle be when the car is warmed up and at operating temp? I don't believe I'm getting past tick #3 on the gauge. Maybe I need a stat?

I would like to see it heat up as well as the Blazer does. As an example, I went out last night while both vehicles were cold because I had to swap 'em around in the driveway and do a little snow removal, and so I started them both, and both were on defrost to the windshield. The Blazer warms up pretty quick, and in the time I had 'em sitting there idling while shoveling, the Balzer reached 100-deg of heat that just barely went past the vent since it was on defrost. Once I put it out the vents at me, I got 140-deg and rising. She'll hit 150-deg out the vents. I got back into the Impala, and the sucker was still at like 40-deg and putting it out the vents doesn't move it all that fast.

I want more heat, and faster. Ideas?

NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.56

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

could be a stuck open t-stat, any codes?

Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.45

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1996 Chrysler Grand Voyager
2003 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer
1989 Suzuki Vitara
2012 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

maybe air bubbles in the system? after a flush there are some bleeder valves around to release air. i know the 3400 has them

Alan

Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

No codes.
As far as air bubbles go, I have read about issues people have had there, and usually the temp gauge swings along with that I thought?

Posts per day: 0.01

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1996 GMC Yukon
1992 Chevrolet Blazer
1997 Chevrolet Cavalier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

These things were designed for worse case senario during summer heat. So it doesn't take much of a t/stat getting weak to cause it to be not as warm. I'd slip a new t/stat in there and see what happens. Make sure you use the 195* and I'd highly recommend an AC-Delco brand.
bigdog60
Resident
Resident
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Just changed my T-Stat for the same reason...Didn't help any Crying or Very sad
Used a Stant Super Stat #45849 Gasket#25273 Looked pretty much the same as the stock T-Stat,, accept for the small ball.

Thats for a 3.8,,not sure if a 3.4 is the same..
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Alright, I just got back from a mix of regular & freeway driving for roughly an hour with a few stops to run in somewhere quick. It's 18 out (were havin' a heat wave). The highest the temp needle on my stock LS gauge did get is dead center between tick 3 & 4 off the 140. I don't think it will go any further. Is it supposed to? The majority of the time the temp out the vents (positioned straight out at me) read 120, and looked to have went as high as roughly 125. It's warm, after an hour it feels fine and all, just wondering why it takes so long and why not as quick and not 160 like the Blazer. Just when I was about to say that's all it can get, w/in seconds of looking up from my vent gauge which was at roughly 125, it all of a sudden read 160! WTH?? I mean it was seconds (less than 60) later. Well now this throws everything out of whack! So maybe I have an issue w/the vent gauge (or maybe not). I'll have to swap w/another one to rule that out. Either way, even if the gauge is glitchy, the car is still MUCH slower to heat than the Blazer, like easily 2x or more slower.

Does anyone know, on the 3.8 Impala LS, where the needle is supposed to be when the car is up to operating temp and/or where the needle is supposed to go up to just before the T-stat opens?

Posts per day: 0.01

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

First, change the thermostat. And be sure you get the stock 192-195 degree 'stat, not a cooler 180. Many parts stores will automatically give you a 180. This won't set a code, but your heater won't get as warm. It won't help your power or your fuel economy, either.

This is exactly how my '05 3.4 acted. A new thermostat fixed it.

Thermostats are cheap overall. Cheap to buy and cheaply made. I've had them be bad out of the box. Certainly not out of the question it could be getting tired.

Second, comparing the warm-up and heater output of an aluminum V6 engine in your Impala to the (likely) iron-block engine in your Blazer is comparing apples to oranges. Two engines the same size, one aluminum and one iron-- The iron one will warm up faster and make more heat out the vents. Aluminum bleeds off a lot of heat on a cold day.

And if your Blazer is an older "big" Blazer with a V8, that's a lot more difference yet.

My 5.3-litre iron-block Tahoe heats up a lot faster than my '05 aluminum-engine Impala, and will put out a lot more heat when I turn it up. As one more point of comparison, my '88 Firebird with its iron 406 out-heats the Impala any day.

ad0726
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Malibu
1983 Datsun Patrol
2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

last year my car didn't warm up at all, it was a stuck open T-stat
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The Blazer is an '01 S10, it's listed off to the left under my username & in my garage on here. So 4.3L anemic V6. But yes, iron none the less I'm sure, good point. I guess I didn't even think of the block material. Same goes for my mother's '99 Regal then too I'm sure since she commented that her's is really slow to heat up too. Hmm.. were the 3800s always aluminum? I think I'll change or get the stat changed at least to rule it out. Won't hurt that's for sure. And yeah I don't want a 180, don't think it would do me any good on a N/A motor.

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.6

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I've found if I shut off the heat for the first few minutes I'm running the car, it warms up much faster.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.97

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The 3800 is all iron. Changing the t-stat might help.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: