NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - See odometer without key; interchangeability of locks
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

See odometer without key; interchangeability of locks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kthelen

Posts per day: 0.01

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject:  See odometer without key; interchangeability of locks Reply with quote

Hello all!

I'm considering buying a 2000 Impala (base - 3.4, 60/40 bench, etc). It's going to auction next week, and is without keys.

I am somewhat familiar with these cars, having owned and reconstructed an '01 base Impala a while back. But I do have a few unanswered questions I'd like to get through before I consider buying this one:

1) Hollander says the ignition switch interchanges with several mid-late '90s W-body cars, in addition to other eighth generation Imps. Can anybody confirm this? Also, what can I expect in the way of Passlock issues if I simply grab a matching switch/cylinder/key from the junkyard?

2) If I go the junkyard route, it'd be nice to also grab the door and trunk lock cylinders from the same car so I'd have a matching set. Anybody know which models/years would be compatible?

3) Knowing how many miles are on the car would play a big part in determining if I want this "pig in a poke" or not. Short of popping the cluster into another car, is there any easy way to see the mileage without being able to turn the key on?

(I seem to recall some vehicles displaying the odometer with the key off if you press the trip meter button... anybody with an Impala in the driveway able to confirm if this is true here?)

The car will surely be sold cheap given the complication involved (I expect it to go for between $400-800). But even so, more info is always better than less Smile

TIA,

- Keith
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.64

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The odometer is readable as long as the car has power, you do not need a key to see the mileage. I do not know any answers for your other questions..but I am sure that you can check the mileage w/o keys.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.55

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Good luck finding a junkyard car with keys. I've never seen one. There is a procedure for removing the ignition cylinder from the ignition switch if you don't have a key. You could then put a new keyed switch in (I got mine for around 100 bucks on eBay) and have a locksmith re-key the doors.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yes, if you press the trip odometer and the battery is good, the odometer will light up and display the current mileage

For cars, assuming it's the original cylinders, you can take your bill of sale or title or registration to a GM dealer and they can cut you keys based on the VIN number.. cost me $15 to have to 'VIN' keys cut

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
kthelen

Posts per day: 0.01

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
Good luck finding a junkyard car with keys. I've never seen one.

Really? That's odd, around here probably 60% of the cars I see in yards have keys, either in the ignition or sitting somewhere in the interior. But then, I'm in a semi-rural area and the yards I frequent are generally smaller operations, so maybe that's why.

bbengineer wrote:
Yes, if you press the trip odometer and the battery is good, the odometer will light up and display the current mileage

Good to know.

bbengineer wrote:
For cars, assuming it's the original cylinders, you can take your bill of sale or title or registration to a GM dealer and they can cut you keys based on the VIN number.. cost me $15 to have to 'VIN' keys cut

Jeez, I completely forgot about that. Thanks for mentioning it!
KuruptimpalA
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject:  ..... Reply with quote

yeah i actually broke my ignition cylinder called a locksmith and they reprogrammed a new one and installed it and made it so i can use my original key. i thought they just fixed my original switch and charged me for a new one but this is what they said they did i prob just got screwed though. there pretty expensive too like 160 compared to like 35 for a normal steering column one

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.55

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you had a new cylinder installed for 160, you got off with a bargain. I bought a cylinder on eBay for around 100 and installed it myself in a little over an hour (including the security relearn).

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: