NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - oxygen sensors and seafoam
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

oxygen sensors and seafoam
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott37300

Posts per day: 0.01

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject:  oxygen sensors and seafoam Reply with quote

I bought everything I need to do a tune up, change all the fluids and filters, and seafoam the engine as recomended by this forum. I am going to be doing a bunch of this stuff in the next couple weeks. I was just re reading the seafoam article and read that it can dirty the O2 sensors. The car is 04 with 50K on it and never been seafoamed before. From what I have found there are 2 02 sensors and they aren't cheap! Should I be worried about the seafoam hurting these at all? I have new plugs so I'm not worried about them but really don't want to have to replace the 02 sensors.
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.95

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I seafoamed mine at around 95,000 or so and it's fine. I haven't heard any problems like this, but it's not too say it can't happen.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
scott37300

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That's good to hear.

I would hate to try and clean the engine with seafoam and then have to replace 02 sensors because of it! I guess with anything there is a risk involved and you have to weigh the pros vs. cons.
scott37300

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well I was going to use seafoam based on my reading from this forum. But after reading about the possible troubles it causes with O2 sensors in the articles section of this forum I have decided to set the can aside for now.

A few years back I bought a 3M fuel system cleaner from a mechanic going out of business, kind of forgot about it. It is the full kit, around 600 brand new. I just ordered some of the cleaner to go with it. It's what most of the dealerships use and should do a lot better than a simple can of seafoam and is O2 sensor safe.

I will post results after I do the process. It is a 3 part cleaning system.
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.65

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I put half a can of seafoam in my oil 500 miles before a change, and at that time I dump the rest into the gas tank. I seafoamed my throttle body a little over 10k miles ago as it was disgusting, and it made a big improvement in throttle response and idling. You may want to take off the throttlebody and clean it that way if you feel up to it. It's rather easy, and at 101k miles mine was disgusting. I'm glad I took mine off.

My O2 sensors are fine.
scott37300

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well I haven't used seafoam and as much as everyone on this forum likes the stuff I have read a bunch of negative on it. The thing that really got me was in the articles section of this forum under the seafoam instructions it says that it may damage plugs and O2 sensors.

I have a really nice 3M kit that I bought used probably 5 years ago but pretty much forgot about it. They are around 500 dollars new. I just need the chemicals for it which are around 30 bucks for the 3 part system. It attaches right to the fuel rail and you disable the fuel pump and the car runs off the cleaner. From what I have read it's the same kit most dealers use. So since I have the kit already with the regulator and the hookups I am going to order the chemicals and give that a shot instead of the seafoam.

If I didn't already have this kit I would give seafoam a try but based on some things I read about seafoam and about how good the 3M kit is I am going to go with the 3M
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.95

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

scott37300 wrote:
Well I haven't used seafoam and as much as everyone on this forum likes the stuff I have read a bunch of negative on it. The thing that really got me was in the articles section of this forum under the seafoam instructions it says that it may damage plugs and O2 sensors.

I have a really nice 3M kit that I bought used probably 5 years ago but pretty much forgot about it. They are around 500 dollars new. I just need the chemicals for it which are around 30 bucks for the 3 part system. It attaches right to the fuel rail and you disable the fuel pump and the car runs off the cleaner. From what I have read it's the same kit most dealers use. So since I have the kit already with the regulator and the hookups I am going to order the chemicals and give that a shot instead of the seafoam.

If I didn't already have this kit I would give seafoam a try but based on some things I read about seafoam and about how good the 3M kit is I am going to go with the 3M

I've heard of this kit before. Let us know how it goes. Very Happy

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
UseAsDirected
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.04

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Not sure if scott37300 ever posted the results of using his 3M cleaner kit, but I just used this 3M fuel system cleaner kit on my car and it worked quite well as far as I can tell. I have also read about problems using Sea Foam to clean your intake, the main one being that it will only help with about 1/2 of the intake because it doesn't make it to the further parts. The 3M kit has its intake cleaner in a nice spray can that locks "on" and has a long tube to stick into the air intake just outside the throttle body so you can have it going while you hold the car at a certain RPM, and maybe that helps distribute the cleaner better. It also comes with throttle body cleaner and a fuel system cleaner to dump into the gas tank. My idle was rough and it seems to be completely smooth now after using the intake cleaner. I'm very pleased and just ordered the kit for my wife's Camry. It's $36 by the way, so probably not quite the same thing that scott37300 was talking about but I thought others might want to know about it because I have been scratching my head about the best way to clean my TB and intake and I'm quite happy that this kit worked out so well.
milwaukee_01impala
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.66

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Chevrolet Express

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

fwiw, i seafoamed mine about 55k miles ago.(at just about 100k) no ill effects here.

interior/exterior:BBEngineering led LS cluster,BBEngineering led HVAC control,BBEngineering DRL/ALC bypass,quad headlights,impala embroidered floormats,20%tint,auto ventshade vent visors,LED tail lamps/front turn signals,LED interior/reverse/license plate lights,silverstar hi/lo beams,turn signal mirrors,aftermarket moonroof,17" Helo slick rims
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.4

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

seafoamed last summer
wont hurt nothing unless YOU do something wrong.

my brother's 05 stang which is much touchier with the sensors, cant even do a cold air intake without throwing a check engine light. seafoam was fine.

Last edited by grimsin on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.93

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

God I HATE the back end of those mustangs..the spoiler is just like wtf.... lol

Member Level
Member Level

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Driving behind it it looks really good, but he is changing the wing out next summer(bought it with that wing). i think that backend looks better then the new 2010 style.
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

grimsin wrote:
Driving behind it it looks really good, but he is changing the wing out next summer(bought it with that wing). i think that backend looks better then the new 2010 style.

I've driven behind them and it doesn't look any better. Still a cool car don't get me wrong. but I like the newer style better

Member Level
Member Level

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

if we all liked the same car and design we wouldnt have car forums lol, its all good.
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

grimsin wrote:
if we all liked the same car and design we wouldnt have car forums lol, its all good.

ya lol. I just wish they did it on like a 45* angle instead of an 85* angle lol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: