NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Weird electrical problem...please help!
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Weird electrical problem...please help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
04iboostedindy

Posts per day: 0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject:  Weird electrical problem...please help! Reply with quote

hey guys i recently purchased a 2004 chevy impala ss indy edition that has 80k miles on it..i have been having a interesting problem that has happened twice so far.

1. i was driving home from the dealer and i hit a bump in the road, and when i did this my gauges on the dashboard shut off for a second or two and then came back on. i did not loose any other power my radio stayed on as well as the a/c and the car did not shut off...after the gauges came back on i had a batterry light on. so i pulled over and turned the car off and then back on and everything was fine. i tried shaking and wiggling the alternator and battery cabels as well as the fuse box to see if i could recreate the problem..but nothing happened.

2. happend again today after i made a u turn i pulled up to a red light and sure enough all my gauges went dead for less than 2 seconds then came right back on. again no problems with power a/c or radio, just the gauges, and when the battery ligh came on it only stayed on a few seconds this time then everything went back to normal......

anyway i cant figure out if there may be a bad ground somewhere or a issue with the pcm, or maybe a battery going bad? any info or help is greatly appreciated
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.96

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Check the connection on the gauges. See if its loose or a wire is split or something.

Also get the car scanned for codes (even if no check eng light is on) you might be throwing a code. I had a similar problem a while ago

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

yea i guess i will have to do that..what problem did you have exactly and how easy does the dashboard come apart. also this is off topic but looking at your sig pic it looks like your driver side fog light is brighter than your passenger side lol, mine is the same way
snoggle

Posts per day: 0.01

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject:  May be ignition switch Reply with quote

The igntion switch on these cars is prone to failure and could cause symptoms like that.

You could try pulling the dash cover or other methods of reaching the ignition switch and wiggle it and its harness and see if your symptoms appear.

R&R Ignition switch writeup w/pics
http://www.sparkys-answers.com.....light.html
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.96

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

04iboostedindy wrote:
yea i guess i will have to do that..what problem did you have exactly and how easy does the dashboard come apart. also this is off topic but looking at your sig pic it looks like your driver side fog light is brighter than your passenger side lol, mine is the same way

Well mine was because I have an aerforce gauge plugged in and it had a short in the wiring hanress, so when the harness would short out it would freeze and my other gauges would go dead.
I just meant get it scanned because when mine was doing this I was throwing 3 codes

http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....mp;t=42480

I was thinking my bcm was going bad because of what those codes are. My guess is that you have a bad connection somewhere if it happens when you hit bumps or turn to quickly

EDIT: oh and in person my fogs are the same brightness i just had a bad angle on the picture lol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

yea its really weird because it doesnt do it when i go over other bumps or dips in the road. im starting to think it was just a coincedince, also i dont get any other lights on the the dash besides the battery light, and nothing else seems to loose power at that exact moment except the gauges...really weird...i will try and see if i can get it to do it again today...btw my gauges all seem to read accurate when the are functioning normally. its also weird how the problem goes away after a few seconds by its self without me doing anything.

one othetr thing i can add is that the started was replaced right before i left the dealer with the car. im starting to wonder if a just have a bad ground somewhere because one of my fog lights is brighter than the other as well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: