Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:44 pm Post subject: Squirrel ate wiring
Help !! I'm out of town for the hoidays, it's Christmas Eve and nothing is open. A squirrel got up into my engine comparment and built a nest on the top on the engine on the passenger side, just above the spark plug wires. In so doing, it ate through three wires that go to a sensor. One wire says "sensor" one says "ground" and the last says "5V".
This certainly was enough to cause the "Check Engine" light to come on which is what led me to look into the engine compartmet.
This is a 2002 Impala with the 3.8 engine.
My concern is what is this sensor for, does it control something citical and can I safely drive 200 miles home on Sunday with the wires cut?:
The wire are alnost too short to work on but I can likely make the repairs at home in my own garage (given enough time and cussing)>
Anybody have knowledge or thoughts?
Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:18 pm Post subject: squirrel ate wiring
Thanks, bbengineer. I may have to spend part of Christmas outside trying to restore those ityy-bitty wires. I can prbably unwrap part of the wire bundle to get enough wire at that en and maybe take the pictured unit off to get some wires in there. Gotta give it a shot.
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:37 pm Post subject: squirrel ate wiring
Final report re this. The FLAPS were no help; the connector is an order item for everyone (including the Chevy dealer I later found out.)
The wires were bitten off too close to the connectors for butt connectorss, but I was able to scrape enough coating off the wires to get a drop of solder on the wires and attach about a 4" pigtail onto each wire. That is, after I was able to borrow a soldering iron, solder and tape from a neighbor down the street. Twisted the pigtail onto the stub from the harness and made it home in good shape. I've ordered a new "factory" connector with pigtails and will install it in place of the jury-rigged unit that is now there.
I guess all's well that ends well, but it was damn disconcerting under the circumstances.
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:39 pm Post subject: squirrel ate wiring
Thanks for the thought, but our U-Pick yard doesn't have anything as new as my 2002. Rock Auto had it for less than 1/2 the dealer price so I went ahead and ordered it. No hassle, no gas cost to run around to other places. And it's not like I'm in a hurry now. The one that's on there is probably OK for a while but I do want to have one that is molded in on one end and properly soldered where I splice it into the harmess on the other end.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum