NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - School me on speaker replacement plz
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

School me on speaker replacement plz
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Audio / Video Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.35

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject:  School me on speaker replacement plz Reply with quote

I have a 4 ohm system, I know that much. Beyond that, I'm almost clueless. It's been YEARS since I've messed around w/a stereo system myself, and I've actually forgotten most of what I knew about specs and what's good to get, etc. Granted doing some research would be key, which I also plan to do, which will be chipping away bits and pieces whenever I get time, but for now I'm starting here with this question first to the guys who have all the cool systems in their rides Cool, and also to those who may not but have knowledge of the subject.

These stock '01 Impala speakers... are just crap. ZERO bass in 'em. After driving the better half's Blazer for a bit and listening to it's stock BOSE system, then getting back in the Impala... I have to do something, and fast. Now while I'd love to have a big amp'd boomin' sub system... that's not gonna happen right now. What I'd like to do for now is keep the stock deck and replace the 4 speakers with the best ones I can get w/out breaking the bank, if that's possible, IDK you tell me. I know there's a big range on what one can spend on 6x9s (haven't priced out the 6.5's yet), but are the most expensive 6x9's really 'the best' just because they cost so much? As an example, do I really need $300 Boston Acoustics with copolymer woofers & KortecŪ dome tweeters, or $250 Focal Access 6x9's with woven glass-fiber woofer cones & inverted-dome tweeters?

So what I'm after, is something similar or *better* to the Blaze's Bose system (hoping to achieve with just speakers & stock amp)... which has nice a low to mid bass boom to it. It easily over powers the cheap Chevy plastic interior and makes it rattle/vibrate Rolling Eyes
* What do I wanna get for the back; 2-way? 3-way? 4-way? What's gonna determine that exactly?
* Is there a certain woofer material I should look for (polypropylene, other)?
* Being that I'm using the stock deck, what power range speakers should I look for? Lower, higher? Will going with too high of a range effect anything?

While bass is king (and obviously I'm not doing a system the neighbors can hear right now), my desires aren't limited to just that. I'd like to clearly hear the music as well. So can I achieve this without separating the tweeter such as in a component system? I've noticed a couple options that people here have done where the tweeter is on the door tops, or the pillars. If I can get pretty good sound w/out going component, that's obviously a plus. If it's really worth going component, I guess I wouldn't be afraid to venture into that, but then obviously I'm bypassing the stock amp and then what, getting an aftermarket one? Or how's that work? I had researched this a while back, again chipping away whenever I find the time, which is generally pretty limited, so it's hard to stay focused for the duration of a good researching session and hence I still have to deal with my horrible stock system Sad
Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Favorite speakers? Halp? Smile

NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.09

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you are finding the factory system thin, do your self a favor before you spend any money and do the 'factory amp bypass'

The early factory amps are anemic and better off bypassed

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
billy101
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.65

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have a 2001 Impala LS also. The stock radio and speakers had almost no bass. Thats pretty much because in our impalas we have the bad amplifier in the trunk(someone can clarify that much better for you). As you know an amplifier is supposed to INcrease the bass..but with the amps in our cars they had an issue where they would SUPPRESS the bass. No bueno!

What you would wanna do, which I did...is bypass the amplifier in the back. There is a write up on how to do it, but you can also get something online that you dont have to splice any wires, just plug it into the stock harness in the trunk, and you will have TONS of bass, essentially too much because I had to turn mine down. It actually blew my stock speakers...!!!!

Here's the link for how to bypass the amp, they also make an amp bypass harness as I mentioned above, that you can probably find on ebay

Howto: http://impalahq.naioa.com/HowTo/Amp_bypass.html

It will increase the sound quality in the car. That How To sounds pretty confusing, but it isn't.

In our cars the front speakers are 6 3/4 component (I ordered 6.5 inch by accident, but a dremel made it fit perfectly.), meaning the woofer and tweeter are separate, the backs are 6x9. I put 4 way 6x9s in the back, and it sounds amazing!

Here is how to replace the rear speakers...not too hard

http://impalahq.naioa.com/HowTo/Rear_Speakers.html

Here's how to do the front speakers..even easier!

http://impalahq.naioa.com/HowT.....akers.html

.....Overall it's not that hard to upgrade the sound system in our cars...I still have a stock radio too btw..changing the speakers improves the sound quality tons! but now my doors rattle like crazy...

If you would like any more information, don't hesitate to ask!

EDIT: Ninja'd by BBE. haha
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Huh, well how 'bout that. I wasn't aware the stock amp actually HURT the speakers performance. I came across these amp bypass deals when researching before, but didn't read info about it because I assumed that had to do with more serious systems using aftermarket amps, which I didn't plan on doing. Boy if I can find that amp bypass harness so I wouldn't have to splice wires for now, that wold be great. Is that JUST for Impalas, or other W-bodies? I wanna make sure I get the search right when I look for the harness. Thanks!! Cool

NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.09

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The bypass harness you see on Ebay is for 2000-2001 Impala & Monte only...

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bbengineer wrote:
The bypass harness you see on Ebay is for 2000-2001 Impala & Monte only...

BBEngineer

Okay, score for me then. I'll look for it then, thanks.

Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Here you go!

http://www.12volt-travel.com/c.....p-832.html

It's as easy as plugging it right in. Make sure to unplug the other plug (it's the power plug) as I've heard of other people having issues with it draining the battery after sitting for awhile.
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You're the man Billy, thanks! I couldn't find that on ebay, so now I'm happy. I've been looking off and on today here when I get a chance, and the wires seemed easy enough to do as well, just a matter of getting them to stay in.. but this is cheap enough to where I'll just get it and try it out, so that's what I'm gonna do.

Now... From the sounds of it, there's a good chance I'm gonna blow a speaker eventually Wink . I do plan on being careful, but you know how it goes, you get in a good mood one night and get just a little more loose with the volume on that favorite song that comes around, and then BOOM! She's toast. So my speaker questions still stand, and I think I'll still be shopping for some in the coming months. I'm now also considering an aftermarket amp as well, and barely into the research of such, ran across signal/sound processors. I've never used 'em, have no idea how well they work, etc etc, so I'll throw that in the research mix I guess while I try to not be greedy with the volume of my newly found bass Smile

Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

REDLINE wrote:
You're the man Billy, thanks! I couldn't find that on ebay, so now I'm happy. I've been looking off and on today here when I get a chance, and the wires seemed easy enough to do as well, just a matter of getting them to stay in.. but this is cheap enough to where I'll just get it and try it out, so that's what I'm gonna do.

Now... From the sounds of it, there's a good chance I'm gonna blow a speaker eventually Wink . I do plan on being careful, but you know how it goes, you get in a good mood one night and get just a little more loose with the volume on that favorite song that comes around, and then BOOM! She's toast. So my speaker questions still stand, and I think I'll still be shopping for some in the coming months. I'm now also considering an aftermarket amp as well, and barely into the research of such, ran across signal/sound processors. I've never used 'em, have no idea how well they work, etc etc, so I'll throw that in the research mix I guess while I try to not be greedy with the volume of my newly found bass Smile

No problem! I did the same thing with mine, but I didn't use the harness..i just spliced the wires together with some quick splices..worked fine. I'm actually getting a new radio for christmas. If you're looking to do an aftermarket amplifier I would recommend getting an aftermarket radio as well, because well...it will sound 10x better then!

I purchased these for the fronts...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....ss_product

and these for the rear deck.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....ss_product

Make sure when you put the rear speakers in, to seal everything!! It rattles like hell after you take them out without re-sealing it. I used some silicon that my dad used for sealing windows in houses using a big caulk gun...worked beautifully.

The speakers sound great, clarity is great way better than stock speakers; & I'm still on my factory radio. The bass response is great as well! If you want to get something different, just try to keep around that RMS range. The factory radio pushes these just as much as it does the factory speakers..if not more.

Let me know if you'd like any more information!

P.S. - You don't have to be THAT stingy about the volume. It will have TONS of bass at lower volumes, but if you keep going up it will get louder and not as much bass. You'll see, and you'll adjust your volume accordingly. It's like a new radio lol.
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well I'm guessing I'll try this out for a bit 'till I get used to it, and then go from there with new speaks at least. Aftermarket deck will be later on since I don't NEED that currently. Nice yes, but I'd sooner spread the pennies around to other areas such as exhaust.

As far as re-sealing the speaker mounting area, it's kind of a given. I learned that as a pup back in the day with my old G-body & box Chevs Laughing
Thanks for the speaker input/ideas too. I didn't know if more was better for power ratings on the aftermarket ones or not.

Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

REDLINE wrote:
Well I'm guessing I'll try this out for a bit 'till I get used to it, and then go from there with new speaks at least. Aftermarket deck will be later on since I don't NEED that currently. Nice yes, but I'd sooner spread the pennies around to other areas such as exhaust.

As far as re-sealing the speaker mounting area, it's kind of a given. I learned that as a pup back in the day with my old G-body & box Chevs Laughing
Thanks for the speaker input/ideas too. I didn't know if more was better for power ratings on the aftermarket ones or not.

Yeah, I feel that the factory radio is good for awhile, but I've had the bypass done for about 6 months now, and I feel that it can be much better. So that's probably why.

I need to get a cat-back exhaust for mine too...holes in the resonator and intermediate pipe. Darn Long Island, NY & salt & snow for 8 years... Surprisingly NO body rust, just the exhaust. It sounds like ass too....might go with the GMPP Dual Exhaust kit for $500 and call it a day..
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

billy101 wrote:

Yeah, I feel that the factory radio is good for awhile, but I've had the bypass done for about 6 months now, and I feel that it can be much better. So that's probably why.

I need to get a cat-back exhaust for mine too...holes in the resonator and intermediate pipe. Darn Long Island, NY & salt & snow for 8 years... Surprisingly NO body rust, just the exhaust. It sounds like ass too....might go with the GMPP Dual Exhaust kit for $500 and call it a day..

That's about what I was thinking... give the amp bypass a try 'till summer, then from there if I want speakers at least it'll be nice out for the project. Not having a heated garage really bites in this state.

I'm largely undecided on exhaust, outside of I know that U-bend has to go, and I want duals, but I'm fussy w/what I wanna see when looking at the car. Mufflers have to be more oval and tucked up instead of round and hanging low and looking too big.

Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm thinking of going with this for my LS.
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/r.....r=12498617

It's the exhaust for the SS, but it will fit our cars if you get the hanger for the driver side exhaust. It says that how the exhaust hangs is adjustable between it being close to the car, or hang a little lower which I think is a nice addition. Check it out.

I think it will give the car a nice look, and sound.
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

More than likely I'll be having it done at a custom shop with my muffler and tip choice when I figure it out. Easier to buy a kit like that, yeah, but like I said, I'm fussy Smile
There's just not a kit that I've come across yet that has the look *and* sound I'm looking for, so I'll just have to piece it together myself.

Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

REDLINE wrote:
More than likely I'll be having it done at a custom shop with my muffler and tip choice when I figure it out. Easier to buy a kit like that, yeah, but like I said, I'm fussy Smile
There's just not a kit that I've come across yet that has the look *and* sound I'm looking for, so I'll just have to piece it together myself.

That's how you get it done according to your tastes. My resonator has a huge hole in it right now, but my dad works at a dealership, so he can put the car up 6 feet in the air, we found the hole, and rigged it up like crazy. Took a coke can from earlier in the day, and two clamps and clamped it on the resonator to hopefully allow us to put it off for a little longer. It works though! Nice and quiet, can barely hear it now, I actually have to double check it's running because before I was able to hear when it was running when I remote started it from my room..it was that loud. We'll see how long this lasts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Audio / Video Club All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: